Owners of HD650 AND HD600, which has more details and instrument separation?
Feb 29, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #61 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they're both pretty good. those who prefer the 650 will say that the 600 is too forward, bright, and thin sounding. those who prefer the 600 will say the 650 is too dark, recessed, and bass sloppy.

I prefer the HD-650 simply because of its sonics, not so much on any negative traits of the HD-600.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #62 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the HD-650 simply because of its sonics, not so much on any negative traits of the HD-600.

i can write it that way as well - focusing on the positives.

those who like the 600 over the 650 say it is more tonally accurate, with realistic bass, and generally a crisper more delineated sound. those who prefer the 650 say it has a richer, fuller sound, with more speed and with greater bass extension and presence.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #63 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can write it that way as well - focusing on the positives.

those who like the 600 over the 650 say it is more tonally accurate, with realistic bass, and generally a crisper more delineated sound. those who prefer the 650 say it has a richer, fuller sound, with more speed and with greater bass extension and presence.

That's more like it.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #64 of 66
I asked one of the tech gurus at my audio shop what he thought of the two headphones:

He said the bass on the HD650 is more powerful and more extended than the HD600. The bass might seem like overkill with a lower quality front end, but fed right this won't be an issue.

"The 650 also has less upper midrange energy than the 600 but has more control and nuance there and is also more extended in the high-end. The 600 sounds like it has a little too much upper midrange; and while some might prefer the 650 with a little more than it has it would not benefit from having as much as the 600. In the final analysis the 650 is not only more comfortable and pleasant to listen too but is more controlled, more detailed, and more expressive. Nevertheless, some people might prefer the 600's more "lively" presentation."

Thus, I conclude that some people might prefer the HD600 but the HD650 is the better reference. I purchased the HD600 because I did not appreciate the difference between the two phones right away during my in-store audition, but after a few weeks of listening to the HD600 extensively I have come to the conclusion that they are too bright to be the better reference. I was impressed with the extra snap and sparkle of the 600 in the store but that extra upper midrange energy is really just a flaw. The HD600s can be quite fatiguing in long listening sessions--a hallmark of a component that is too bright. It is the HD600 that is out of balance, not the HD650. The HD650 sounds much more like my reference speaker setup (B&W N802/804) with its more refined sound.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #66 of 66
I don't think the HD600 has too much upper midrange. If anything, the HD650 has a recessed upper midrange when driven single-ended; the HD600 is basically spot-on neutral save for a slight bump in the midbass and a slight recession in the upper treble.

However, having said all that, the HD650 is a distinctly better technical performer. It falls behind the HD600 when driven single-ended because it has problems the HD600 simply doesn't - its bass is loose and bloated, its treble is recessed, and its impulse response is way too slow (though when it comes to speed the HD600 is even slower).

But, drive it balanced, with quality equipment behind it, and it will rocket past the HD600. The HD600 is more forward and lively, with a very neutral tonal balance, but the HD650 has better detail, better instrument separation, better imaging, and a whole lot more refinement. It's simply world-class - when driven well.

I couldn't really believe it until I've heard it in a good rig. It's just a different headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back