owned HD650, DT880... something nice, but down a step?
Jun 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gnychis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I was a pretty active member several years ago... owned the HD650, DT880s, had a dv336i amp and basically sold it all, only hanging on to my Shure E500 IEMs (which still rock).  I'd really like to become active again, but I think I'd like to take it "down a notch."  I'm not really looking to get a desktop or portable amp, and pretty much want something out of the box to listen to music at my desktop computer and play games. 

Of course, I loved the HD650s, but I found the DT880s a little bit heavy / too much bass.  I'm kind of looking for something that could provide some a middle ground in terms of sound between the two, and a max of ~$250.   I'm not picky in terms of open air or closed.  I also went through http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear ... but it seems a lot of high ranked are in the pricey range.

I'm tossing around 3 different options right now:
  1. Sennheiser HD 598
  2. Audio Technica ATH-AD700
  3. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

These all seem in my range, but I haven't gotten to listen to any of them personally.  Could anyone provide any feedback on these 3 or have listened to all 3 and can compare?

Thanks a bunch!

- George

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 11
You could also look into the grado line. I have the 225i and it's easy to drive and sounds awesome with most music. It's not for everyone but worth looking into with your budget.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 11
I've listened to the Audio Technica ATH AD700, and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. The Senn has nice bass, seems fairly balanced overall (not bass heavy by any means,) and has treble that is smooth and sibilance free. It also isolates very well. The AT 'phone has minimal bass impact, an excellent soundstage, better treble resolution, and a ridiculously comfortable fit.

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
The HD 598 is a sweet headphone--great comfort and an excellent all arrounder, including gaming.  Just wish it was still available at its pre-MAP street price.

This is pretty much near the top of my list right now, good to hear you the feedback on their all-around quality!  Comfort was definitely one thing I'm concerned about.  I found the HD650s a little "tight," giving me an occasional headache.  I do know someone with them and I'm hoping to get a listen or two on them.  What does pre-MAP mean?

Quote:
You could also look into the grado line. I have the 225i and it's easy to drive and sounds awesome with most music. It's not for everyone but worth looking into with your budget.

I never really looked much in to the Grado line, I'll check out the 225i!

Quote:
I've listened to the Audio Technica ATH AD700, and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. The Senn has nice bass, seems fairly balanced overall (not bass heavy by any means,) and has treble that is smooth and sibilance free. It also isolates very well. The AT 'phone has minimal bass impact, an excellent soundstage, better treble resolution, and a ridiculously comfortable fit.

oooo, glad to find someone who can compare both directly.  I listen to a lot of electronic music, so i like *some* bass presence, the DT880 was too much though.  I'm a little concerned you used the word "minimal" with the AD700 with bass impact.  A good soundstage is a big plus though.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 11
Minimal, as in you have to turn it up or EQ it to notice it over everything else in the song. It's there, but only just:

graphCompare.php

As for the Senn. It looks like it has deep bass like your Beyer, but about 5dB less at 100hz, which is more midbass.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 11
Two thoughts...

First, the 700 and 280 are at a completely different price point from the 598s.  The 598s, which I own, are a major step up from other phones I've heard in the $100 price range.  If you're ready to spend $250, I would compare other phones at that price point.

Second, you're comparing open and closed here.  I would decide first whether you really need closed for isolation.  If not, I would go for open.  If you want to compare a closed set in the same price range as the HD598, you might look at the new AKG K550s.  I have a pair and they are wonderful.  Great sound stage for closed.  They are a little brighter in mid and treble compared to the 598, which makes the bass seem slightly subdued when first switching from the Senns.  (I also have a 10 ohm amp, which boosts the Senns' bass at the 100 hz impedance spike...)  But when I'm listening to the K550s for an extended period, the bass quickly gets to a place where it feels just right, and the Senns feel bass-heavy going back.  (Talk about psycho-neural burn-in...lol...)

The one caveat on the K550s is that you need a larger head.  I have a 60cm head and they just fit me.  I don't have to expand the headband at all.  (For comparison, the head size range for adult males is about 55-63cm.)  If my head were much smaller, I think they would be too loose.  (You also need to factor in hair I guess - and I don't have much of that these days...)

Cheers and good luck

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
The HD 598 is a sweet headphone--great comfort and an excellent all arrounder, including gaming.  Just wish it was still available at its pre-MAP street price.

+1 on the hd598. You could get one used here. I have seen a couple here in the last few days. You just missed my hd280...sold it last week.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 11
I would suggest trying the new Soundmagic HP100 it is a very good all rounder and super comfy

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 11
I was kind of like you, I have had HD600 and HD650 in the past - I have sold them and only had my shure SE530s for a while.  But of course, I came back and bought more headphones, tried the HE300 and didn't love them.  Now I have the fostex t50rp.

If you like the shure sound, I would suggest looking in to the T50rp.  I got some last week for $74 plus shipping and they really sound great.

I have read that you need an amp for them, but that is not true.  They sound great from my ipad and iphone.  I bought a v-moda replacement cable for them.

The vocals on these are outstanding, and evidently they can be modded to sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back