Overwhelmed: Need help making choice on first full-sized headphones
Jul 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Arkaium

New Head-Fier
Hello, folks,

Not new to the site, but new to the forums, and finally looking to satisfy my need for a pair of high quality full-size headphones.  I've learned a few things from reading all the various threads dealing with the subjects:  a) there are completely different opinions on what is the "best sound," b) there are completely different setups/options that can render great results, and c) there is always the likelihood that one purchase will become a slippery slope and lead to a ton of other purchases.

That said, my comfort range for the headphones is about $200-350.  I currently do NOT have a DAC/Amp, nor was I PLANNING on getting one, but if that's what it takes to drive the headphone that best suits my interests, so be it.

These full-size cans would be almost entirely for home use.  I have a library of CDs, an ecclectic mix of genres, all ripped in Apple Lossless.  I currently have a very mediocre home setup with just computer speakers.  My "travel" setup is far better, imo; I have Etymotic HF-5's (which I adore) and my iPhone, which make for a winning combination (especially on business trips... can't hear the plane at all!).  I'd just use the HF-5's for music, movies, and games were it not for the fact that a) they get uncomfortable after about an hour of use, and b) they are incredibly accurate, but don't really have the right soundstage/kick to work for things like movies and games (in my noobish opinion).  I wouldn't mind using these new full-sized headphones with a portable device/portable amp, but I really don't know which amp to get (complete amp noob).

Now, the headphones that I've been the most interested in are:

Sennheiser HD595
I understand these to be satisfactory unamped, and much more ideal for the occasional portable use, as opposed to the HD600 series which needs far more power to take advantage of their magic.  That said, the lesson I'm learning from all the threads I've browsed on Head-Fi is that any $150+ headphone will typically get a significant benefit from an amp. My hesitation stems from the fact that: a) I prefer detachable cables.  I've had too many headphones, cheap and expensive, short over the years at the point at which the cable meets the cans.  I know this is remedied by not wrapping the cable up and using a stand, but sometimes you don't have the luxury and I just prefer the option of changing the cables at a later date.  b) Most comments suggest that an amped HD650 is a superior headphone.  Again, I know my current setup doesn't benefit me with HD650's, but I figure it would be better to get headphones I can grow/upgrade into?

Sennheiser HD650
Now, considering my lack of an amp and my lack of an immediate intention to purchase an amp, the HD650's would, according to just about everyone here, be a huge mistake.  My understanding is that that I won't really get any appreciation for what these can do without a powerful source.  That said, I'm curious to know just how miserable I'll be in the setup I described earlier if I don't get an amp for a little while.  In other words, can I get the detachable cable and superior headphone I'm willing to pay for and be temporarily satisfied with the sound quality for a while, or will I IMMEDIATELY regret the decision and either return them or have to get an amp.  I read tons of posts from people talking about the "veil" and how disappointing these headphones are without an amp, but I'd love to have a sense of how diminished they are unamped in comparison to the HD595's.  Again, it's not because I don't understand the need for an amp, it's just that I'd like to not suddenly spend thousands when I'm really starting to get into things.

Grado Prestige 225i
I don't really think there is any argument with these headphones considering my setup.  They should work well unamped, according to most folks here, and they have great, forward sound.  I hate my music to be overpowered with artificial or enhanced bass; I prefer a cleaner, more analytical sound (hence my Etymotic in-ears), which is why the Grado's would probably be perfect for me (according to my understanding of their nature).  That said, comfort is a BIG priority for me (I have a large head) and I cannot stand headbands that dig in, nor am I a big fan of on-ear headphones.  Is the sound so good, and the appropriateness for my current application so high, that it would justify the compromise of comfort?

Denon D2000
The general impression I've received is that the Denon's can work unamped, better than the Sennheiser HD650's, and that they have really solid low range performance.  But the same question applies, one I haven't seen asked and so I have to ask here (and hence this thread): if I'm not planning on buying an amp IMMEDIATELY, will I still enjoy the experience with these, or will I really only get appreciable quality using an amp).

Audio Technica ATH-A900
I've seen a lot less feedback on these headphones, but they seem to fall into similar groupings with the above headphones.  The same question(s) apply.  They do seem to be less easily purchasable too.

AKG K702
I understand these to be the most amp-needing headphones of the ones I'm considering.  It seems as though they will sound like crap unless they're amped.  Would a NuForce HDP (spelling?) get the job done?  They would end up cheaper than the HD650's, and they do seem to be well build (and now offer detachable cables on this model, which I like), and the general consensus seems that they have a VERY clean, unenhanced sound.  Very neutral, folks say.  But they also seem like the headphones I'll be most frustrated with until I buy an amp?

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Have I considered all the right headphones?  Any I'm missing?  Now, assuming I don't want to spend a LOT on an amp if the general response to my situation is that I should not consider any of the above (minus the 225i and the HD595, possibly) without an amp, what are good options?  The NuForce HDP seems to run about 450 and would seem to be adequate?  I like the look of it, but I'm not very educated as to whether they would be powerful enough to get the job done for the above headphones.

At present, I'm leaning towards the HD650's, again because I like the design of the Sennheisers, and obviously they have a great reputation, but I'm hesitating at the end because of my fear that without the simultaneous purchase of an amp, they'll truly disappoint.  Trouble is, while I think I know what good sound is (can't stand Beats by Dre, Bose, etc), and I prefer a very clean, accurate, true sound, and my music collection doesn't have a lot of synth or heavy beats, I'm not really that experienced in this subject.  Hence all the research I've done.  And my decision to finally post here.  I know the debates I have above are in countless threads here in the forums, but in all my searches I really didn't see folks talk about whether it is even worth the money to get a pair of HD650's, live with them unamped for a bit, and then ultimately make that purchase as well.  I know it costs money and time to get a true audiophile setup.  I'm quite willing to explore the options and take in all the advice here, and if ultimately an amp is needed (or another set of headphones better fills the bill), to make the purchase.

I just don't want to make any egregious mistakes :frowning2:

Thank you in advance for the help (and for not ripping me a new one, as many of you are often wont to do).  Everyone has to start somewhere.

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 7
IMO, you should look into the Audio Technica AD900 (not the A900) which are easy-to-drive great all arounder headphones :)

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 7
I agree with Mr Joboto. The AD900 should suit your needs well.  Nice clean sound without overpowered bass.  Comfort is great as well.  It will sound great now but will improve with a better source/DAC as well as an amp.  I feel your better off getting something you'll be happy with in the first place.

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 7
If you aren't going to get an amp, your situation isn't magically going to be different from the general consensus.  You said it yourself, now accept it.  If you don't have $500 set aside to toss down for an amp/DAC, then strike the HD650 and K702, etc.  Even my AKG K240 at 55 Ohm are borderline without an amp.  If you can't jump in headfirst and go all the way, just get something lower end right now.  Get yourself the Grado (even 80i, alessandro ms1, etc) and be happy with those.  Then, grab an amp, then another pair of headphones, etc. Trust me, it won't stop with just one pair.  I started with the K240 but quickly got more models.

If you trust the for sale forums, buy a used pair of whatever here.  Buy yourself something that will be cheap and good unamped, but a good headphone to keep in a future collection.  If I were in your shoes, I'd be buying something like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/413228-REG/AKG_3102_H_00010_K_81_DJ.html

Then, save up money to acquire the big setup later.

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 7

Get the HD650. Amp Insanity is crazy around these parts, but the HD650 sounds brilliant straight out of my Auzentech Prelude.

If you ever get the itch down the road then buy an amp. But don't mistake that you ever NEED one. 

For the record, the K701 also sounds fine out of my Prelude.

Anyway I strongly recommend you get the HD650. Amp be damned. You will get about 80% of the sound you will want with just the HD650 and a decent soundcard. Adding an amp will only add about 10% to that.

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

Get the HD650. Amp Insanity is crazy around these parts, but the HD650 sounds brilliant straight out of my Auzentech Prelude.

If you ever get the itch down the road then buy an amp. But don't mistake that you ever NEED one. 

For the record, the K701 also sounds fine out of my Prelude.

Anyway I strongly recommend you get the HD650. Amp be damned. You will get about 80% of the sound you will want with just the HD650 and Submita decent soundcard. Adding an amp will only add about 10% to that.

Then why not get something on the same level or at least close (AD900, MS-2, etc.) that will sound as good without an amp as the HD650 does with an amp? Without an amp I doubt the HD650 reach 80% of their potential.

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 7
I have an HD650, I've tried it amped and unamped, and the performance gap is not that far off.

He should get the HD650 because it has the features he wants, it still sounds better unamped than say an AD900 unamped (and yes I have compared both headphones unamped - the HD650 still sounds better to my ears), and it will have more room to grow later on if he does decide to get an amp.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Why settle for less when you can have more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back