Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,022 of 1,284
And how much is the Realiser A16 gonna cost? I've seen that they've been using it with the hd800 so it might be a bit of cheating? Is it gonna sound just as perfect with any decent headphone?
Yes I've heard it. And not with the HD800. With a much cheaper pair of Stax Electrostatic Headphones. And it's gonna cost a fortune. I got in when the price was much lower

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,023 of 1,284
And how much is the Realiser A16 gonna cost? I've seen that they've been using it with the hd800 so it might be a bit of cheating? Is it gonna sound just as perfect with any decent headphone?

Believe the Realiser A16 is now $4000 retail. For Kickstarter backers and preorders you were able to jump in for somewhere between $1100-$1800 depending on when you placed an order. We still don’t know when it will ship as it’s been delayed over a year past the original intended ship date.

In regards to what headphones would work with it, they have demoed with the HD800 which I’m sure helps given the large soundstage, but the Realiser calibrates to any headphone that you use with it.

There is actually a dedicated Realiser thread here and it’s fairly active if you have any other questions.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #1,024 of 1,284
With the action, I got excited and thought there might be some real OOYH updates. I haven't really heard any news from them, the products, speaker profiles, etc. in ages.

Anyone know about any news or maybe the OOYH could even speak of some upcoming items to look forward too?

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #1,025 of 1,284
I can't speak for Darin, but as far as I know, he is seeking further development but there are still some outstanding issues to resolve. Apple seems to change the way that OSX processes audio with each update. This has caused him to dedicate resources to reconciling how OOYH works with Mac.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #1,026 of 1,284
Thanks for answering on my behalf @edwardsean ...
Yes, I know it's been a LONG time since we've had any updates or anything new to speak of.
But @edwardsean is right. We have been working for a LONG time on rewriting our whole processing engine to deal with changes in both Windows and macOS. Everytime we think we have a solution, the "target" moves and our solution doesn't work properly.
I think we are on our third scheme for rewriting our processing engine and USB audio interface.
To be honest, I have also not had time to search out new speaker systems for measurement. It's very time consuming just to find systems available for measurement. (I think once all the Realiser A16 backers get their units, people will realize how tricky finding locations and doing measurements can be.)

And we are hoping that our "universal" engine will eventually be easy apply to all platforms including iOS and Android and probably Linux too.

We are also working on some partnerships that hopefully will show up before the end of this year. But I can't say any more about that, sorry...

But, we are still 100% dedicated to continuing development of Out Of Your Head and of course fully support our customers. We are still alive and kicking!

Thanks to everyone for all your support and purchases!

-Darin

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,027 of 1,284
And we are hoping that our "universal" engine will eventually be easy apply to all platforms including iOS and Android and probably Linux too.

And then all of my Xmas's will have come at once. :beerchug:

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #1,028 of 1,284
And then all of my Xmas's will have come at once. :beerchug:

Agree! Darin, I'm so glad/relieved to hear that you're not daunted by the complexity of bringing OOYH to Android/IOS!

I've recently got an iBasso DX200 + amp8. Paired with the LCDi4 it rivals my full stationary desktop rig. The thought of having a world class speaker system in a portable convolution capture is the dream.

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #1,029 of 1,284
Thanks for answering on my behalf @edwardsean ...
Yes, I know it's been a LONG time since we've had any updates or anything new to speak of.
But @edwardsean is right. We have been working for a LONG time on rewriting our whole processing engine to deal with changes in both Windows and macOS. Everytime we think we have a solution, the "target" moves and our solution doesn't work properly.
I think we are on our third scheme for rewriting our processing engine and USB audio interface.
To be honest, I have also not had time to search out new speaker systems for measurement. It's very time consuming just to find systems available for measurement. (I think once all the Realiser A16 backers get their units, people will realize how tricky finding locations and doing measurements can be.)

We are also working on some partnerships that hopefully will show up before the end of this year. But I can't say any more about that, sorry...

But, we are still 100% dedicated to continuing development of Out Of Your Head and of course fully support our customers. We are still alive and kicking!

Thanks to everyone for all your support and purchases!

-Darin
Thanks a lot for replying, Darin. I feel you on the OS front, but selfishly, I'd be totally OK if you only prioritized Windows and then Linux development... If you forgot all about Mac OS, I wouldn't chase you down. I'd be fine with that choice, especially if it helped advance the development or other parts about OOYH Windows release :p

That's really good to hear from you, though, and I wish you the best of luck with all that. I'll be ready to throw money at any new developments, so, let us know when you're ready.

Sep 4, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #1,030 of 1,284
For anyone interested, professional level upmixing from stereo tracks to 5.1/7.1 for OOYH can be done.

I've been pursuing this for years to take full advantage of OOYH's surround sound capability. I've been so impressed with this while watching movies. Sometimes, at the end, when the credits roll up, there is a beautiful multichannel mix of a track I own in stereo. Those big cinematic orchestral pieces sound grand in 5.1/7.1 but less so in 2.0 and the bass is diminished.

So, I've experimented with upmixing but the only choice was JRiver's upmixing feature, which is very poor quality: artificial, phasey, and cloudy. The problem was always that no music host, as far as I'm aware, can handle multichannel plugins. (Pure Music has multichannel support, but the plugins won't load.) It took a lot of trial and error, but there is a way.

There are a handful of professional grade upmixing plugins. Penteo, Auro, Iosono have produced upmixing algorithms that convincingly emulate real surround mixes from stereo sources. They are used by engineers for major production releases by e.g., Sony, Disney, Paramount, etc. However, it wasn't until late last year that Nugen introduced their upmixing plug called Halo. The thing about Halo is that it has built in digital mixer and downmix processing.

So what I did was run multiple instances of Halo processing two channels each in Audiohijack. So for 5.1: I ran three instances of Halo upmixing to 5.1 but muting all but 2 channels which I downmixed to stereo: 1) L/R, 2) LS/RS, 3) C/LFE. I then fed each pair into OOYH routed to the appropriate channel. Luckily, though Audiohijack restricts you to stereo output, you can open multiples of the same output device and assign the L/R channels to different multi-channels.

The whole software chain looks like this:

Audirvana/Tidal > Audiohijack [Sonarworks > EQ > Nugen Halo X3 > OOYH X3] > OOYH.

Here is a screen grab of the Audiohijack matrix:

I have to say, this is ridiculously convoluted, system intensive, and all the professional upmixing plugs are very pricey. Halo is $499 and the trial requires iLok authorization. So this is not a simple matter. If anyone knows an easier route, please let me know!

But, I also have to say, the results are... spectacular, truly spectacular.

You're a madman.

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,031 of 1,284
Hey guys !
I was wondering, is there a way that i record the soundtrack of a movie processed with OOYH, something that would start and stop automatically, so that after i can remux the processed soundtrack with my MKV without needing any resync or edit, so that i can play it on the go on a tablet or any device that doesn't run OOYH ?
That way, if it starts and stops automatically with the soundtrack, the duration of it will be exactly the same that the orignal soundtrack, and it won't be a bummer to remux.
Maybe Darin knows a way...
Thanks to anyone who has a good solution !! (if there is one...)

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,032 of 1,284
Hey guys !
I was wondering, is there a way that i record the soundtrack of a movie processed with OOYH, something that would start and stop automatically, so that after i can remux the processed soundtrack with my MKV without needing any resync or edit, so that i can play it on the go on a tablet or any device that doesn't run OOYH ?
That way, if it starts and stops automatically with the soundtrack, the duration of it will be exactly the same that the orignal soundtrack, and it won't be a bummer to remux.
Maybe Darin knows a way...
Thanks to anyone who has a good solution !! (if there is one...)
Hi @Fox1977 ,
I am not sure what you mean by start and stop automatically.
You can digitally record the processed audio from Out Of Your Head using Audacity or similar. The best way is to record the whole movie at once. Then you could remux it without worrying about resyncing issues.

If you are saying that you can't record a whole 2 hours at once, then I can see what you mean about automatically starting and stopping the playback/recording so the "pieces" of processed audio line up easily.
I am not aware of any easy way to do that.
I suppose if you used an audio app that can playback video and record at the same time, then the recording and playback would be synced.
I think many of the DAW software can play a video while recording audio as someone would need to do if they were doing a film score or something similar.

-Darin

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #1,033 of 1,284
No, I think I should've caveated that statement with "except the realizer", but I have tried many software solutions, creative, dolby, razer, ircam, wave, etc.

I recently upgraded my own hardware though and ooyh has never sounded better. Went from o2 odac to audio gd nfb7, 1amp, and uptone regen. Now the different presets render crystal clear.

I think thats actually a plus over the realizer(being able to use various dacs/amps) and if you're able to get a measurement taken Darin can make you a custom preset

Does anyone on this thread have a custom preset from Darrin. If so, would it be possible to share your listening impressions. It would be especially helpful if you have experience with a custom PRIR from the A8 Equalizer as well.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #1,034 of 1,284
I am not sure what you mean by start and stop automatically.
I mean that the recording would start straight when the movie starts to play, because if i launch recording manually and then i launch the movie, i will have a blank at the beginning and at the end, that i will have to cut afterwards and i may not know exactly where to cut (because at the beginning of a movie, there can a few mute seconds). Then if i don't cut at the exact right moment, the soundtrack may be out of sync with video when i remux. I don't know if my explanations are clear... :confused:

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #1,035 of 1,284
I would like to know if there is a way to do that too.
The mismatch is the time difference between I hit record in Audacity and play in media player. And of coarse the offset is always different.
Currently, I have to load both the original and recording from OOYH in Audacity and compare the tracks to find the exact match. Then i have to cut the beginning of OOYH track, the end as well and only after I can mux it in mkv and play on my tablet or my dumb media player in living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back