Out of curiosity
Sep 3, 2010 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dspang

100+ Head-Fier
What low-impedance headphones do you guys find that scale really well when plugged into an amp.  I've tried the M50's through a receiver headphone out and through my Pa2v2 and I found that the Pa2v2, to my ears, tightened up the bass a bit and gave them just a tad more depth. So it seems that I've gotten a maybe 5 or so percent increase in sound quality.  This is merely through my listening though and not the general knowledge.  What do you guys think?

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Amps with a low gain output (low voltage) and higher current output will benefit low impedance cans like grados. Amps with a high gain output (high voltage) and lower current output will benefit cans like Sennheiser HD 650s.

Amps like the PA2V2 and Mini3 give a high current output, so pairing with the M50 might be a good match.

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 4
It really depends on what kind of amp you plug them into.  Amps with a low output impedance like solid state and tube amps with transformer output help along low impedance headphones.  If you plug them into an amp with high output impedance, like most OTL tube amps, they aren't as good.

As for low impedance headphones, I think the 25 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT48 really shapes up when I plug them into a good amp.  I also get good results from the Grados I own, especially the HP-2.

Sep 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Anyone else have certain low impedance headphones that scale with amplification?  I heard that the Denon d2000 scales pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back