Ortofon new portable amp: MHd-Q7 photos, impressions, and review
Apr 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #61 of 90
Quote:
That is a good question, I don't know. That album I wanted to give you to listen to, it sound amazing :-D MHd-Q7 seems to do the acoustic based music more than fine.

Sadly I'm still in Perth :p. Have extended my stay here till mid next week before going back to Japan - I didn't bring my MHd-Q7 (nor the eq5/7) this trip.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #63 of 90
Had a quick listen to all my IEM and headphone, the best sound seems to be with EX-1000, EQ-5 and ES10 with the best treble detail I have ever heard coming from CK100PRO. It seems like MHd-Q7 pairs quiet nicely with my audio-technica gears.

EDIT:
1)Hissing remains the same regardless of where the volume knob is. (Which I think is part of the design)
2)The hissing is not audiable with ER4S and ES10.
3)Best treble I have heard is achieved via using CK100PRO, problem is the hiss.
4) The hissing sound is audible on quiet passages. I am tempted to add an impedance adapator but I do not know how it will impact the sound. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #64 of 90
Just opened mine and it seems like inside is a little different to what I have found online. (Left is what i found online and Right picture is how mine looks like )
 vs 

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #65 of 90
Just opened mine and it seems like inside is a little different to what I have found online. (Left is what i found online and Right picture is how mine looks like )

vs 

Congrats Audionewbi

Look like somebody already done the modification like your picture abiove

I ask my japanish friend about the hissing , he explain is part of the design that we hear like
From old vinyl time .
Maybe Anakchan can get better info about the hissing

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #66 of 90
Thanks, I could not find any information about the picture and what does that green wire do. At first when I found it I thought that is the stock design is like but seems like it is a little different.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #69 of 90
Quote:
Congrats Audionewbi

Look like somebody already done the modification like your picture abiove

I ask my japanish friend about the hissing , he explain is part of the design that we hear like
From old vinyl time .
Maybe Anakchan can get better info about the hissing

I don't know anything about the difference in wiring. I could ask Ortofon about it but then again, their response would be "why are you opening up the amp"? So I don't know if I'll get a (satisfactory) answer from them. Will try anyway.

About the hissing, when I started this thread I linked a review I wrote about the MHd-Q7. I mentioned about the hiss in my review. Whether this additional cable somehow does something about the hiss, I don't know.

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #70 of 90
Really liking the pairing with EX1000 and ER4S. I do not want to get too emotional I will make my final judgement within 2 weeks time but it is very positive ts far. My ears got used to the hiss quick so that is not really a problem.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #71 of 90
Quote:
Really liking the pairing with EX1000 and ER4S. I do not want to get too emotional and make my final judgement within 2 weeks time but it is very positive to far. My ears gets used to the hiss quick so that is not really a problem.

I'm truly glad that you're enjoying the MHd-Q7. It's really quite a nice little hidden gem. Do spend more time with it. I find that it's more a refined presentation rather than just brute force powerful.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #73 of 90
I've been spoiled with silent amp so it takes a bit of getting used to but boy freaking falling inlove with this thing. At one point while I was in the cafe shop with my friend I told my friend whether he can buy a spare one for me and I would pay him next week :-D He talked me out of it. I cannot detect any colouration in this amp. 
Quote:
A bit of hiss not much of a price for more refined dynamics and textual qualities.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #74 of 90
If anyone of you guys owns the ES10 or even better the ESW11 I highly recommend it with MHd-Q7. It really does something wonderfully good to the bass and mid-range. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #75 of 90
Hi all,

I can't remember if someone PM-ed me or asked in this thread (as I've not looked back at past posts) about the Output Impedance of this headphone amp. I've talked to the maker and it's at 0.38ohm. I'll update my review to reflect this.

This kind of output impedance is great for IEMs and easy-to-drive headphones.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back