Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #871 of 1,026
I think you did a good job describing them, pacman.  The eQ5s really don't need amping as they're pretty sensitive, unless you just like the way a particular amp changes the sound.  They certainly are not bass-heavy but it's there in adequate amounts when it's supposed to be.

From how you describe your preferences, 3stun, the eQ5 seems right up your alley.
thank you :) your rite they do sound good straight from a ipod or whatever your using.. I think the amp just gives them that extra kick ya know.. They are a great phone and specially for the price.. The only thing I don't like is you can't replace the cables and they are Imo horrible.. I bought mine used so didn't have a warranty.. And living in Canada I think it would have been a big head ache trying to get them replaced through warranty.. But they really ain't that old and my left side is shorting out.. So much so that I can't listen to them.. It's a shame cause I really like them too. :frowning2:

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #872 of 1,026
  So you think e-Q5 excels e-Q7? I'm abslutely confused, because some find e-Q7 better, others prefer e-Q5. As vocals is of high priority for me, I was thinking more about e-Q7... For which genres do you think e-Q5 is a better choice?

My apologies for adding to the confusion and not qualifying my reply better.  I meant in terms of the sound signature you're looking for, the eQ5 is a good fit relative to the Shures.  I have not heard the eQ7 but have also read they are better for vocals

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #874 of 1,026
I'm listening to my eq5's with my new HTC one..wow what synergy between the two..haven't listened to these for a while..what was I thinking. These still sound amazing.:wink: just really wish they would fix the poor cable issue ..

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #875 of 1,026
SO excited for this. Doesn't seem like the cable got massive improvements, but damn if I'm not eager for an upgrade. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #876 of 1,026
I really wish the cable was removable..these things I find when driven properly and nothing short of amazing imo...with like your iPods and iPhones and stuff like that..are just average..I find they can really excel with the rite source and amp..wow I'm really impressed what they sound like out of my HTC one though..although with the beats audio on it ok..lots of umph though ..my left cable is shorting out..so even though the cables do suck I night have to buy another pair cause I just like them way too much not to have these little baby's in my collection...:wink:

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #877 of 1,026
do we know where this EQ-8 stands sonic-wise ?

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #878 of 1,026
My guess is that vocals will be good on it. Any idea when it will be released? I would definitely be tempted to get this as I loved both the eq5 and 7.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #879 of 1,026
Can anyone who know Japanese do a proper translation of the followings? This is what I get from google translate.

http://ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11654986264.html

"~~長らく人気の同社e-Q7の上位モデルとなる純銀線で作ったコイルを採用したバランスド・アーマチュアドライバー搭載イヤホンです。 この、銀を使ってコイルを作るにこだわったため、すごく作るのに時間がかかったそうです。ちなみに特許取得済みですって! e-Q7よりもずーっと高域に伸び、広がりがあり、それでいて抜群の安定感。今回出品されていたものの中ではJH Roxanneと並んで「非の打ちどころ無し」と感じました。発売時期は年内に発売できるかできないか、価格は4万円前後(あれ、意外と安い…?)の予定。 売り手目線評価で「これは間違いなく売れる」!"

"~~It is a balanced armature driver earphone equipped employing a coil which I made with sterling silver line which is a high-end model of the company's e-Q7 popular long. This, because it was stuck in making the coil using the silver, time seems took to make really. By the way, What is patented! growth in the high-frequency all the time than the e-Q7, there is a spread, yet distinguished sense of stability. I felt as "flawless without non-" alongside JH Roxanne is in what had been exhibited this time. The plan can or can not release by the end of the year release date, (it, ...? Surprisingly cheap) price of around 40,000 yen. "This is definitely sell" rating in seller glance!"

http://ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11684605393.html

"~~あ、話は変わりますが、 先日、大阪のイベントでortofonのe-Q8を聴いてきました。 新型ドライバーを採用したe-Q8は、e-Q7以上に音量が取りやすかったです。 音質もさらに磨きがかかり、透き通った中高域にはしびれましたね! e-Q7と比較して、前後の奥行き感も加わり、サウンドステージも広がっています。 ortofonの新作イヤホンも乞うご期待!!"

"~~Oh, on another note, The other day, we have been listening to e-Q8 of ortofon in the event of Osaka. The e-Q8 of adopting the new driver, the volume was easy to take the e-Q7 or more. Shine takes even sound quality, I was numb to the mid-high range to clear! In comparison with the e-Q7, depth of feeling before and after added, the sound stage is also spreading. New earphone of ortofon also stay tuned! !"

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #880 of 1,026
The rough idea is there in the google translate, for once. It'll probably be a December release, 40000 yen, positioned as an upgrade to the e-Q7, and the sound is more open/refined than the e-Q7 especially in the mids and highs while being easy to drive, with a wider soundstage and improved depth. 

The e-Q5/7 are among the most underrated and all-round amazing IEMs out there and I really can't wait for this. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #881 of 1,026
Bump for an excellent IEM.
Among my favorites under 1,000.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #883 of 1,026
yes me too ..pretty amazing iem huh ..did you find that they would distort at all in the lower regions at higher volumes ? Just curious:)

No, I haven't. 
I found they sound the best with a neutral source though, not sure what you're running yours with.
The lower-end performance is actually hypnotizing to my ears. Neutral and balanced, but with enough impact to satisfy. 
Fast. Did I mention fast? 
I've actually once accidentally blasted music with these with my RSA Predator on High-gain. For the ear-splitting 3 seconds, they sounded pretty good. no distorting.

Also, are you using the stock tips?

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #884 of 1,026
No, I haven't. 
I found they sound the best with a neutral source though, not sure what you're running yours with.
The lower-end performance is actually hypnotizing to my ears. Neutral and balanced, but with enough impact to satisfy. 
Fast. Did I mention fast? 
I've actually once accidentally blasted music with these with my RSA Predator on High-gain. For the ear-splitting 3 seconds, they sounded pretty good. no distorting.

Also, are you using the stock tips?
No I agree with you on everything..a gentleman messaged me and asked me cause he said some songs are for him through his HTC one..I told him no I have never had them distort at all ..in fact they sound better on a higher volume..I'm using my iPod7th gen with a continental v3 and they sound incredible..they ain't my go to iem but they are really fast and accurate especially in the bottom end..I think also the mids with the rite Trac are some of the best I've heard in any iem I've tried imo

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #885 of 1,026
No I agree with you on everything..a gentleman messaged me and asked me cause he said some songs are for him through his HTC one..I told him no I have never had them distort at all ..in fact they sound better on a higher volume..I'm using my iPod7th gen with a continental v3 and they sound incredible..they ain't my go to iem but they are really fast and accurate especially in the bottom end..I think also the mids with the rite Trac are some of the best I've heard in any iem I've tried imo

He's using a HTC One for a source. It's good for an Android device, but definitely not what you want to be using. I prefer my Sansa Clip+ to the HTC One I owed lol.
You're definitely right about the mids. Just unreal how close they can sound to a CIEM representation of vocals. 
Excellent construction, good fit, and dynamic while retaining excellent speed.
It's a pity they're so easily forgotten.
Now if I wrote a review comparing them to the AKG k3003, the IE800, and the SE846.
Maybe that would garner some attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back