Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #856 of 1,026
They are actually fairly durable for how fragile the connection seems to look. Mine lasted over a year with very rough use before one side started having connection issues (it's probably from the cable split), but I can still fix it by twisting the cable one way/not moving about when using the IEM. I'm sure it'll be durable enough if you actually took care of it...sound is great of course :)

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #857 of 1,026
M
pacman, thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else want to chime in?  I would be buying these as a b-day gift for my brother, he loves Ortofon carts, so I have no doubt he would love the sound on the e-Q5 as well.

I just want to make sure I am buying him something that will last and hold up to daily use.

The cable on my pair broke after aprox. 1 year of normal use (it was my second pair, the first had sound issues and had beed replaced). It broke at the LR split, after i fixed the right cable broke from the LR split (i used some glue that attacked the rubber coating of the cable and it hardened and broke after 2 months). In the end i replace the cable with a cable with mic from some jvc headphones so i cand use them with my phone but the sound quality declined.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #858 of 1,026
It's a shame they don't come with replaceable cables cause I think the cables suck IMO. And they ain't really that expensive but for how much you do pay this should not happen. It's really a shame cause they do sound great :frowning2:

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #860 of 1,026
Well, I was hoping some folks would convince me with glowing reviews, but as it stands, I cannot decide between the e-Q5 and the Etymotic ER4.   

Being in the US, I feel more comfortable with the warranty/build quality of the ER4, but I am fairly confident the sound signature of the Ortofon is more to my bro's preference.

Luckily, I do not have to decide for a couple days. 
normal_smile%20.gif
The er4s are better IMO. Once you listen to them almost everything else sounds bloated If he likes a lot of detail and I mean a lot then the er4s is the way to go. Like almost everyone takes time getting use to the fit. Might take days , weeks , even months in some cases. But if he sticks it out they are simply amazing :)

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #862 of 1,026
Well, out of curiousity, I have been using the eq5 and Ety ER4P/S the last few days.  

- The Ortofon eq5 does everything well with no apparent weaknesses.  They are organic & balanced with some of the most natural mids I have heard from any IEM/headphone.

- The Etymotic ER4 (amped or unamped) is thin, uninvolving & uncomfortable.  I understand why they would be popular for professionals, as the coloration is minimal.  However, for everyday listening, there are many, many better choices.  The soundstage is nonexistent and the deep seal is outdated.  

I prefer the overall sound of the Ortofon eq5 over all of these - IE8, ER4P/S, Atrio MG7, Monster Turbine pro series, RE272, UM3x & SE535.  As stated above, they have no weakness, the others listed all have a significant flaw.

I am not that surprised with the results, Ortofon has been catering to audiophiles for decades (they have been in business ~100 years), and I know multiple people that swear by their TT carts.  
I liked my eq5's too till the left side shorted out and they really ain't that old either. Maybe a year. But I bought them used so I think the warranty is no good. Anyways I had the er4p's and thought they sounded really good till I got my er4s's. now I really have a hard time putting them down. Lol. At first I thought they were thin and stuff like you do. Until I used them for a while maybe a few days. Then switched back to something like my 535's and w4r's. the er4s's really made them and pretty much everything I own sound bloated and coloured. The only ones that didn't sound as coloured and bloated as much were the w4r's. I think specially for the price the er4s's are the most underrated iem out there. Of course this is my opinion but is shared by many. The eq5's like you said really do a lot of things very nicly. I wish the cable was a lot better though or at least make them removable.

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #865 of 1,026

As usual, I think that will depend on your preferences and the genres you like.

Light rock, techno, some pop-music, ethno-music, soundtracks, vocals... I heard e-Q7 is the best of two for vocals, but by what margin?
Nothing bass-heavy. Looking for more emotional, engaging, energetic sound signature. Not dry and lifeless armature-like sound.

Sep 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #866 of 1,026
I would love to try the eq7 someday.. I have the eq5 and I really liked it till the left side gave out.. The wires on them are horrible and don't really last long.. And for what? 350 bucks or so that shouldn't happen.. But anyways I really like the detail they have.. To my understanding the eq7 is more of a mid centric iem.. Which I would probably like seeing that I have the 535 and like the sound of them and they tooaare mid centric..

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #867 of 1,026
I would love to try the eq7 someday.. I have the eq5 and I really liked it till the left side gave out.. The wires on them are horrible and don't really last long.. And for what? 350 bucks or so that shouldn't happen.. But anyways I really like the detail they have.. To my understanding the eq7 is more of a mid centric iem.. Which I would probably like seeing that I have the 535 and like the sound of them and they tooaare mid centric..

How would you compare Shure 535 and e-Q5 ?

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #868 of 1,026
I think the 535 is more mid centric where as the eq5 is more of a neutral sound.. And I think think the eq5 is more detailed.. The highs are better and extended farther then the 535 they don't roll off like the 535 does.. I think they both don't have much bass but u think the eq5 is faster in the bass region then the 535..im sorry I'm not very good at all the terminology of this stuff lol I'm a detail junkie so I much prefer theeq5 to the 535.. They are both great in thietheir own rite though.. Also I find the eq5 will sound better amped just giving them that extra umph really makes them shine.. Where I find the 535 sounds good unamped straight from your phone or ipod or whatever dap your using.. Hope that helps.. Like I said I'm not very good at explaining terms and stuff when it comes to this stuff .. Lol

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #869 of 1,026
I think you did a good job describing them, pacman.  The eQ5s really don't need amping as they're pretty sensitive, unless you just like the way a particular amp changes the sound.  They certainly are not bass-heavy but it's there in adequate amounts when it's supposed to be.

From how you describe your preferences, 3stun, the eQ5 seems right up your alley.

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #870 of 1,026
  I think you did a good job describing them, pacman.  The eQ5s really don't need amping as they're pretty sensitive, unless you just like the way a particular amp changes the sound.  They certainly are not bass-heavy but it's there in adequate amounts when it's supposed to be.

From how you describe your preferences, 3stun, the eQ5 seems right up your alley.

So you think e-Q5 excels e-Q7? I'm abslutely confused, because some find e-Q7 better, others prefer e-Q5. As vocals is of high priority for me, I was thinking more about e-Q7... For which genres do you think e-Q5 is a better choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back