Oriveti OH300 + OH500 (3/5 driver hybrid IEM's) Thread
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #46 of 262
@HardstyleLoco96 Does the playing of the OH500 change slightly over time?

Yes. This has been 3 weeks since I had it and it does definitely sound better overall on 4.4 balance with my Sony WM1A. I feel the bass is more punchy with a bit better vocal clarity. Great IEM for warm and non-fatigue listening. Treble is definitely lacking, but that's what I specifically looked for in a new pair to diversify my experiences.

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #47 of 262
Our reviewer James did a comparison review today with the OH300 and the OH500. Must say they have definitely upped their designs since the New Primacy.

https://headfonics.com/2019/07/oriveti-oh500-oh300-review/

DSC01414.jpg

Jul 15, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #48 of 262
Interesting! I've been using the ONP constantly for two years now, and they're still doing great. The stock cable is still in good condition as well. Overall, the OH300 and 500 both feel like side-grades rather than upgrades, so I don't think I'll be buying either of these. Despite that, I do have a few questions:

1. Is the cable easier to replace? The ONP had a very tight fit on the MMCX side, which made me scared to remove the cables. Fortunately, the cables are good, so no worries.

2. How is the angle of the MMCX jacks? On the ONP, they are almost vertical, whereas I would've liked to see a more angled connection (45-60degs).

3. What tips have people used on the OH300/500?

4. Any comparisons to ~$1000 IEMs, especially the Andromedas or the Rai Pentas? I'm most curious about these two IEMs as my next pair.

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #49 of 262
Just received the OH300 and OH500, wanted to weigh in with further impressions and some beauty shots, these new cables and gloss housings are just stunning (if an absolute pain to photograph).

The earphones have new resin housings that are larger but also smoother than the Primacy earphones. They lock more firmly into the ear and are fully sealed with improved isolation. That said, some may miss the Primacy's more compact dimensions and metal construction. The new cable is a delight, a handmade 8-core unit with SPC conductors. We rarely see this kind of quality from factory, good stuff!
lrm_export_1706001560519_20190715_203703700.jpeg

Sonically, both pursue very similar signatures and both clearly take note from the Primacy earphones while taking on their own unique approach. The core focuses on sub-bass, vocals and smoothness remain. However, this is where similarities end.

The OH300 is a mellow earphone like the New Primacy. However, Oriveti’s latest brings a deeper-reaching, punchier and smoother bass and a more extended midrange, especially with regards to the upper-midrange that is now slightly emphasized where before it was attenuated. Meanwhile, lower-treble remains smooth while a bump in the middle-treble aids openness. It also sports a larger stage.
lrm_export_1329230293871_20190715_203046929.jpeg

The OH500 has a very similar presentation, but with greater midrange and treble clarity in addition to even further extension and a notable bump in resolution. Its bass has more heft than the OH300 at the cost of a touch of speed. Its highs are crisper on behalf of a twin-peak granting greater foreground detail presence. The OH500 has sharper imaging and an even larger soundstage.

These are two fine IEMs and a great comeback from Oriveti who have evidently been taking their time to do things right. Though fans of the comapny have waited 2 long years since the New Primacy, Oriveti have ensured their wishes have not gone unanswered. Happy listening!
lrm_export_2270469096751_20190715_204628168.jpeg

p.s. Am I the only one who can't get the earphones to fit properly in the case? I feel like it's too shallow to accommodate the earphones with ear tips?

Interesting! I've been using the ONP constantly for two years now, and they're still doing great. The stock cable is still in good condition as well. Overall, the OH300 and 500 both feel like side-grades rather than upgrades, so I don't think I'll be buying either of these. Despite that, I do have a few questions:

1. Is the cable easier to replace? The ONP had a very tight fit on the MMCX side, which made me scared to remove the cables. Fortunately, the cables are good, so no worries.

2. How is the angle of the MMCX jacks? On the ONP, they are almost vertical, whereas I would've liked to see a more angled connection (45-60degs).

4. Any comparisons to ~$1000 IEMs, especially the Andromedas or the Rai Pentas? I'm most curious about these two IEMs as my next pair.

1. The MMCX is reasonably tight on this too, the stock cable rocks though!
2. They angle forward about 45 deg+
3. Azla tips for less sub-bass and more high freq presence, Spiral Dots for a more U-shaped sound.
4. Don't have the RAI, but vs Andro, OH500 is more W-shaped where Andro is more linear. Andro has less sub-bass, more mid and upper-bass with a warmer sound. Mids are warmer on the Andro and more vocal forward on the Orivetis. Andro is brighter, crisper lower-treble, more upper-treble so it sounds sparklier. The Andro has better extension and resolution, it is a faster sound where the Oriveti is smoother and its bass is more extended.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #50 of 262

The cable is decently tight, which means you have to use a little force to push it out of the socket but nothing too major or intimidating to me. I have been switching my OH-500 in and out with different cables multiples times now and I feel like once you get past that first time, subsequent attempts get easier (it might be in my head but I had to use less and less force later)

I liked the Andromeda--it has remained my top IEMs and no doubt about that. But it tires me out on longer listening sessions. I listen to my music with OH-500 whenever I wants something non-fatiguing and less bright. The bass is especially great on higher power output DAP (I prefer it on my N6 Mkii than my WM1A). I have been switching out the stock cable (which is lovely but for odd reasons I can't make it stay put on my ears whenever I turn my head) for a silver cable and I love it. For $500 (not at all cheap but acceptable in today's standard), I definitely did not regret buying this. Good job Oriveti!

Jul 22, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #52 of 262
Just my humble two cents,

OH 300 is among the nicest triples I have heard in a long while.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #53 of 262
Just ordered a pair of OH300s...not sure why I chose them over the 500s really. Probably because of the color and 200 dollar price break. They look phenomenal and if they are truly the evolution of the new primacy...I think I’m going to be in for a treat. Hopefully they fit just as well. Should have em in a few days for my next work trip. Fingers crossed.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #54 of 262
Hope to give these a try too, seeing how I have a love-hate relationship with my SE846s. Bass needs to be more natural and real; softer and weaker as the Hz goes lower, but increasingly slow sustain-release. Just like how bass-subbass behave in real life. I hope either one of these Orivetis affords that kind of sound.

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #56 of 262
Ended up cancelling my order of the OH300s and grabbed the OH500 instead. Wanted to try the absolute top of the line from Oriveti and I am fairly happy w/ them. If they were just a touch shorter in the nozzle area allowing the headphone to sit a little more flush with the ear the fit would be perfect. As it stands, the cable is a bit stiff and thick for me to use with my glasses but it seems to have softened up a bit and is more comfortable now that I've used em for a week or so. I think I'm going to pull the plastic sheath off of the top of the headphone to make it even more pliable for over the ear use and so it fits next to the arm of my glasses a little better.

Sound wise, I'm comparing them to the TFZ no.3 mainly and I'm not a real headphone reviewer, just someone that likes a specific type of sound. My ideal sound is basically the TFZ with a little more clarity and smoothness up top. I love the bass on the no.3 and the 500 is close, tho it doesn't get quite as loud. It's much cleaner and faster of course, but it should be given the price. I really prefer the treble on the no.3 in terms of the volume and the in your face aspect of it, but I appreciate the 500s clarity and smoothness. If it was just a bit more bright, it would be the perfect headphone. Both are extremely easy to drive, yet I'm running them through the Dragonfly cobalt which as WAY more than enough power for them. The 500s replaced the Final e500s and they are extremely similar headphones in terms of sound. The e5000s are just impossible to drive without amping.

Anyway, in my amateur opinion the spaciousness and smoothness of the 500 is a tech marvel. Only little things prevent them from being perfect for me...tho I'm thinking it may be pretty difficult to surpass them from a universal. That said, I have ordered the UE CX11 that I'm eagerly awaiting. Should be a heck of a competition. :)

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #57 of 262
How OH500 mids comparing to TFZ? I love the fact that the sub bass of OH500 is lower then no3 and I wonder how does the mid bass compare between them? Thanks!

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #59 of 262
How OH500 mids comparing to TFZ? I love the fact that the sub bass of OH500 is lower then no3 and I wonder how does the mid bass compare between them? Thanks!

I’m not sure who said the sub bass is lower on the 500 vs the no.3? I think the bass on the no.3 is more full and deep, whereas the 500 is faster and a little more textured. So it really just matters what you like/prefer.

Mid bass is quite a bit cleaner on the 500...more clarity, more responsiveness, etc....so the price jump is mostly visible in the mid bass. That and the clarity in the highs...so smooth and lush. That said, I still prefer the no.3 treble just because it’s a bit more sparkly and bright.

I still am kind of on the fence about which one I like more...I think the smoothness and overall versatility of the 500 makes it one of the best in the 500 and below category. The FH5 was pretty close but I couldn’t get a good fit on them, so had to search elsewhere. I really want to give the Fearless Audio S6 RUI a try...but I think I’ve bought and returned enough headphones from amazon. I’m sure I’m about to get my warning about it soon. :)

Aug 13, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #60 of 262
I ordered OH500 and spent couple of days with them. I agree with you on the bass. For me, OH500 are tuned to perfection to be all rounders. Have you tried other cable with them? I changed to Brainwavz balanced 2.5 and even with SE 3.5 adapter, they sound much better. Resolution and highs increased very noticeably. They ship them with similar to DM7 cable and it was bad with both. I owe S8 Freedom and I'm keeping them only for very dark recordings, they have massive treble elevation starting at around 4500Khz which opens up dark stuff and brings massive details to orchestra or some female vocal albums. Very similar treble elevation to IE800 but much better technicalities. According to BGGA S6Rui has similar tuning and I assume that you like bass so they will be absolutely no go. S8F bass is no way as impactful as OH500s and on top they have recessed mids and no way they will sound as good as OH500 with guitars and cellos. They may definitely complement OH500.

I used SE846 and IE800 combo for few years with tons of sources and finally upgraded them with OH500s and S8F. OH500 are definitely upgrade to SE846 with similar dark tuning but better highs, similar lush and detailed mids and dynamic bass; they also don’t feel like sound is coming from tube, due to better design. I am very pleased and impressed with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back