Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #7,891 of 8,034
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #7,892 of 8,034
Let me chime in if you don’t mind folks - I was also able to attend recent Amsterdam meet up where it was possible to compare side by side. I was listening to OG Bird with stock PWA 1960 specially tuned cable while storm had ultra-premium Sovereign Symphony cable attached to it.

Ergonomics wise Storm shells are a bit bigger and heavier. While it wasn’t an issue to me Traillii shells felt a bit more comfortable to my ears.

Talking about sound first thing one might notice is that Storm soundstage is more rectangular, it’s like listening to a proper 2ch system, while Traillii stage is more of an oval one with it unique presentation and separation which is applied to all the recordings you listen to them through.
Both wide and deep enough when properly powered, but I believe that Storm needs something closer to 1W at least to shine properly - I was using DX320 MAX while others also prefer say external amps like PB5, so it speaks for itself I think.
Storm overall sound is more reference and more technical, while not being dry, soulless or lacking in weight.

Sub bass is strong, textured and very well defined on the Storm. It is tastefully elevated but to a bit lesser extent than Traillii ones.
Storm mid bass is much faster, hits harder and will not provide that slow, pillowy feel that Trailliis mid bass will provide.

Thus leading to Storm lower mids being clearer and apparent, while Trailliis have more weight and density. Upper mids on Strom are both not elevated nor recessed sounding more present and natural than a bit recessed ones on the Bird.
Overall mids on Storm come as more even and effortlessly detailed, probably due newer generation drivers used, like on say Fei Wan.
Traillii mids are more romantic and lush though.

And here we come to a deal breaker, at least for now and for me - to the treble.
All we know that Birds treble doesn’t have any harsh peaks, sibilance, but instead has great air on whatever you listen to it.
I’m a bit treble sensitive person and Storm comes as hot to me in the cymbals crash region even while using Eletech Baroque eartips. This also does detract from 3D stage holography to my taste. As for the rest Storm treble is pretty neutral.

As a conclusion I would pick up Storm as an upgrade to OG Traillii if you don’t mind using it with powerful sources and cymbals along with Storm fit are not a problem for you.
Otherwise the great and mighty Bird is still a top choice even if nowadays its details comes as a little less apparent in comparison, especially if you like its rich and soulful presentation.

Hope this helps!
I had the pleasure of listening side by side also. A fellow water cooler owns the Storm and kindly allowed me a listen. I would love to hear it again to refresh my memory. I would agree with pretty much what has been said.

Storm's soundstage improves with amplification. It does remind me of full sized headphones. Both Trailii and Storm have wonderful timbre and tuning. Trailii is a little warmer in the mids, and its musical, emotive presentation. Storm is more reference but still immersive. Storm has the nod for layering and a richer timbre as if there was some naturally technical upsampling happening.

Trailii's treble is safe. There's a very subtle rollback to avoid it being peaky/bright. Yet the extension and subtleties are controlled and well done. I didn't think the Storm's treble was harsh. But that may be the combination of the cable and tips (I think CP100 + Mira or Sovereign - I will ask). Storm is tip sensitive and my initial impression with a poor fitting tip was unfair (and completely incorrect)

If I were to score them, Storm is technically and sonically the superior IEM.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #7,893 of 8,034
Let me chime in if you don’t mind folks - I was also able to attend recent Amsterdam meet up where it was possible to compare side by side. I was listening to OG Bird with stock PWA 1960 specially tuned cable while storm had ultra-premium Sovereign Symphony cable attached to it.

Ergonomics wise Storm shells are a bit bigger and heavier. While it wasn’t an issue to me Traillii shells felt a bit more comfortable to my ears.

Talking about sound first thing one might notice is that Storm soundstage is more rectangular, it’s like listening to a proper 2ch system, while Traillii stage is more of an oval one with it unique presentation and separation which is applied to all the recordings you listen to them through.
Both wide and deep enough when properly powered, but I believe that Storm needs something closer to 1W at least to shine properly - I was using DX320 MAX while others also prefer say external amps like PB5, so it speaks for itself I think.
Storm overall sound is more reference and more technical, while not being dry, soulless or lacking in weight.

Sub bass is strong, textured and very well defined on the Storm. It is tastefully elevated but to a bit lesser extent than Traillii ones.
Storm mid bass is much faster, hits harder and will not provide that slow, pillowy feel that Trailliis mid bass will provide.

Thus leading to Storm lower mids being clearer and apparent, while Trailliis have more weight and density. Upper mids on Strom are both not elevated nor recessed sounding more present and natural than a bit recessed ones on the Bird.
Overall mids on Storm come as more even and effortlessly detailed, probably due newer generation drivers used, like on say Fei Wan.

And here we come to a deal breaker, at least for now and for me - to the treble.
All we know that Birds treble doesn’t have any harsh peaks, sibilance, but instead has great air on whatever you listen to it.
I’m a bit treble sensitive person and Storm comes as hot to me in the cymbals crash region even while using Eletech Baroque eartips. This also does detract from 3D stage holography to my taste. As for the rest Storm treble is pretty neutral.

As a conclusion I would pick up Storm as an upgrade to OG Traillii if you don’t mind using it with powerful sources and cymbals along with Storm fit are not a problem for you.
Otherwise the great and mighty Bird is still a top choice even if nowadays its details comes as a little less apparent in comparison, especially if you like its rich and soulful presentation.

Hope this helps!
What an amazing and comprehensive comparative!

From my side, without parroting yourself, I think that both are indeed pretty different, yet captivating in their very own way.

My listening set-up was the Hiby R8 II DAP connected to the Romi BX2-Pro amp. No need to push the amp very much with the Traillii OG, but the Storm required to set the Romi on high gain and to crank up the volume to 60-70%, in order to have the Subtonic playing loud and clear.

The Traillii OG is a cult pair of IEMs with a distinctive, almost romantic, analogue sound signature. They will always belong to the flagship IEM category and fully have deserved their place at the Pantheon of the best sounding IEMs ever. It's a timeless set.

The Storm equally enjoy a cult status and is considered by some as the ultimate set to own, respectively the 1st priority set to demo for the ones who still figure how to put their ears on then. The "hype" or the "aura" emanating from the Storm don't come out of nowhere. There are obvious reasons for that.

I am also quite sensitive to uppermids/treble and let's say that the Storm are at the edge of what I can stand, but they were better than the Anni23 in that regard. What impressed me from the Storm is their ability to remain impressively coherent and effortless at louder volume. I really need/want to demo them again at some point. I have the feeling they might require quite a bit of time to be fully "understood". A totl offering for sure.

Despite their different tuning and sound signature, I would have a hard time to define which one is better for my taste.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #7,894 of 8,034

Hope this helps!
Did you compare Storm to the Ti as well?

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #7,895 of 8,034
Did you compare Storm to the Ti as well?
Yes, as well as Rhapsodio Supreme V3. The Ti are a bit livelier than the Storm, especially in the low end, but they have less pronounced uppermids and treble. The Supreme V3 was the another set I was considering to buy instead of the Ti. It was an intense listen with a magical midrange and unparalleled level of details and sense of spatiality. The Ti have the safer tuning, but the most analog sounding out of the 3, the Storm come just behind in that regard, with more energy on top and the V3 are a wild horse of an IEMs. Choose your poison, but in all cases these 3 IEMs are remarkable in their respective tuning.

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #7,896 of 8,034
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #7,897 of 8,034
I am also quite sensitive to uppermids/treble and let's say that the Storm are at the edge of what I can stand, but they were better than the Anni23 in that regard. What impressed me from the Storm is their ability to remain impressively coherent and effortless at louder volume. I really need/want to demo them again at some point. I have the feeling they might require quite a bit of time to be fully "understood". A totl offering for sure.
Cant second this. I found the treble execution much more nuanced on Anni 23 than on Storm. Storm fell for me in the same pit with Fei Wan where the treble is pushed tad bit too far to show off the technical brilliance, making it a bit too hot for my liking, what makes Anni treble execution so good is that you get all the detail of the highs without peaks. To me Storm, Jewel and Fei Wan sounded a bit like a badly amplfied Susvara sometimes, with way too sibilant "S"sounds and "exploding" high hats. With Anni this never was the case. Saying this as someone who is rather treble sensetive.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #7,898 of 8,034
Cant second this. I found the treble execution much more nuanced on Anni 23 than on Storm. Storm fell for me in the same pit with Fei Wan where the treble is pushed tad bit too far to show off the technical brilliance, making it a bit too hot for my liking, what makes Anni treble execution so good is that you get all the detail of the highs without peaks. To me Storm, Jewel and Fei Wan sounded a bit like a badly amplfied Susvara sometimes, with way too sibilant "S"sounds and "exploding" high hats. With Anni this never was the case. Saying this as someone who is rather treble sensetive.
Interesting indeed. We both are sensitive to higher frequencies, yet our perception differ. What did you think about the Ti?

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #7,899 of 8,034
Interesting indeed. We both are sensitive to higher frequencies, yet our perception differ. What did you think about the Ti?
It was a very well tuned set, still very much a Trailli with a hint of analog sound, but to a lesser extent: it’s mids are less laid back and analog sounding, the lower mids are less enveloping but better controlled and it has more emphasis on treble extension. It’s an interesting retuning of the OG Traillii and it sounded great to me, just not 8k great. If I had to choose, I likely would go with OG Trailli it’s a more special set to my ear due to its analog mids magic.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #7,901 of 8,034
yeah and my perception of 8k can be very different from someones who makes 180 grand a year :)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #7,902 of 8,034
Also picked a set up after hearing the Ti in Amsterdam.
Impressed me the most versus anything else I heard, including Storm. I still don't get the point of buying an iem that doesn't sound nearly as good in the absence of powerful amplification.

Traillii Ti+Orphy on my N30LE was just next level good.

IMG_1198.jpeg

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #7,903 of 8,034
I'm so happy to hear that the Traillii Ti is getting so much love here :) And it makes me double happy that four friends have now bought a Ti after hearing mine in Amsterdam, amazing. I think a lot of people are getting really stuck on the price, and I totally get it, really. But the Ti is special, very very special. And for some that amount of special is worth the money - I know for me it is.

OG and Ti are definitely different - the same DNA for sure but striving for different things. OG is more sultry, relaxed, slower and warmer. It has just a touch of V for me since the mids are placed so far away, and there is an emphasis on sub bass and sparkle. The Ti is faster, punchier, more clean and resolving, with a more reference or balanced W tuning. I hear the entire spectrum being lifted and enhanced, opened up and a bit less veiled. I don't hear sparkle or sub bass, I don't hear emphasis at all, just a fully balanced FR that pushes it closer to the STORM style over the OG. Just depends on what you want, for me it solves everything I wanted changed from the OG. Plus the fit is much better for my ears. I'm sure some will still prefer the OG, especially it being half the price.

I did quite a detailed impression on the Cooler with STORM and Ti, if anyone wants to read it. They're both amazing, best of the best.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-5645#post-18041858

If you are using the stock cable, give it about 150hrs+ for burn-in, that gold and silver needs time. And if you feel the Ti has less bass than OG, most of that is the stock cable. I just received this beauty today and I can tell you there is no shortage of bass on my Ti :) Traillii Ti + Nightjar Sovereign Symphony + LP6 Ti AE is 🔥🔥🐐🐐

TKP - TE 4SALE HF - 9.jpg

IMG_2977.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #7,904 of 8,034
Spring has come. Birds have flown.
1000028713.jpg

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #7,905 of 8,034

Users who are viewing this thread

Back