Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Apr 2, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #7,876 of 8,027
Mr Rao did contact me when I did the first review on the TI on YouTube and thanked me. I will try to find out. I do know he has some CNC equipment but not sure how far down the line he gets involved on which parts. This may be his trade secret😜

As I mentioned in the Watercooler thread based on the info I got directly from Oriolus JP, Ti model was a limited production release/design, thus a high price to recover the cost, by Jaben China (Oriolus distributor in China), not Oriolus Japan or Oriolus China. I tried to cover everything in my Traillii Ti review last month here :)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #7,877 of 8,027
The Ti is a lot of money so I always say try to listen to it first before buying. Since I understand everyone has a different taste. I always carry with me the Lp6Ti and TI99 to test the IEMs. As you say as long as it gives you enjoyment and you think it s worth it That’s all that matters. I have also been following Obravo as well. The version 2 CU was a vast improvement for me and a lot easier to drive. I have tested the platinum but still need more time to test it further before committing. Btw I am working on a 20 driver per ear IEM for my enjoyment😜
Some time ago I had Ra21 and Ra21.5, but I went back to 21 because I like their more classic and brutal look with the patina copper. It adds a certain vintage look. And as for the sound, 21=21.5, so I haven't lost anything.
I compared both models to earlier versions, like the '18 or '19, and now they've taken a very significant step forward. So I don't regret having them in my collection.

Hope you succeed. It would be interesting to hear. Right now, one of my favorites is Mason3, which is the latest and, in my opinion, the best version with a fully BA.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #7,878 of 8,027
Mr Rao did not make the Ti. It was farmed out from what we could find out so far.
We cannot confirm or deny this.
All that has been officially stated is that the Traillii Ti cable was not produced by PW Audio.

As for the rest, these are not official statements and there is no information. From what we know, Ti was not assembled in Japan, and it is obvious that it was made in China. Since the cover of the case is embossed with Jaben, we can assume that this is a limited edition made just for them.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #7,879 of 8,027
We cannot confirm or deny this.
All that has been officially stated is that the Traillii Ti cable was not produced by PW Audio.

As for the rest, these are not official statements and there is no information. From what we know, Ti was not assembled in Japan, and it is obvious that it was made in China. Since the cover of the case is embossed with Jaben, we can assume that this is a limited edition made just for them.
See Twister6’s response a couple of updates prior.

Whether Rao designed it or not may still be a bit cloudy, but no one is saying he did. No official statement. I find that a bit concerning. However, either way, it sounds very good.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #7,880 of 8,027
IMG_1515.jpeg

Even after all these years, the Trailii holds its own.

Magical. It doesn’t require BCD or DD. That soft, musical tonality. Acoustic vocals just perfectly placed. It just does almost everything really well. That slightly warm, organic piano timbre. Every note distinct with pinpoint precision. The soundstage, width and layering.

For those moments of sheer, reflective listening bliss. Almost three years I’ve owned the bird. I’m yet to find an IEM I enjoy more.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #7,881 of 8,027
IMG_1515.jpeg

Even after all these years, the Trailii holds its own.

Magical. It doesn’t require BCD or DD. That soft, musical tonality. Acoustic vocals just perfectly placed. It just does almost everything really well. That slightly warm, organic piano timbre. Every note distinct with pinpoint precision. The soundstage, width and layering.

For those moments of sheer, reflective listening bliss. Almost three years I’ve owned the bird. I’m yet to find an IEM I enjoy more.
Try Mentor, I really like Traillii and enjoyed it for the very same things. I found Mentor to be direct upgrade to it, with slightly different kind of magic, but very similar addicting midrange, just more 3d stage, more realistic sounding instruments and better overall resolution.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #7,882 of 8,027
As I mentioned in the Watercooler thread based on the info I got directly from Oriolus JP, Ti model was a limited production release/design, thus a high price to recover the cost, by Jaben China (Oriolus distributor in China), not Oriolus Japan or Oriolus China. I tried to cover everything in my Traillii Ti review last month here :)
Cool review. This is the first time I read it. I will ask Jaben and Audiostage in HK who will know more about the history of them. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #7,883 of 8,027
Try Mentor, I really like Traillii and enjoyed it for the very same things. I found Mentor to be direct upgrade to it, with slightly different kind of magic, but very similar addicting midrange, just more 3d stage, more realistic sounding instruments and better overall resolution.
I found the opposite in my experience. I was rocking mentor when Traillii arrived. While I still think really highly of it, I preferred the bird in all aspects. I don’t find mentor to be better in detail or soundstage. It just goes to show how we can perceive things differently

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #7,884 of 8,027
After a first but intense audition of the Traillii Ti within a meet 10 days ago (and an A/B comparison with the Traillii OG), I decided to order the Ti. During this long but decisive afternoon in Amsterdam, I had the opportunity to try many totl IEMs (Storm, Supreme V3, P-Zero, RN6, XE6, Raven, etc...), but nothing got me started as the Ti.

Any other Ti's owners in here?
Same here. Traillii Ti arriving on Thursday! It impressed me the most even after trying out many of the current top dogs in the iem space, including Storm. I hadn't heard the OG Traillii before and much preferred the Ti.

Was also glad to read that it scales well.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #7,885 of 8,027
I preferred the OG Traillii over the Mentor. Many folks who liked the Mentor initially, went back to the Traillii. I liked both, but ended up still preferring Traillii. Better bass, mids and treble along with overall timbre to my ears. I do agree though, pick one as they did not feel like complimentary IEMs to me.

I have on friend who hates the Mentor. Pretty strong feeling as I still thought it a good IEM, but he hates it. Kind of funny. Ticks him off every time we bring it up.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #7,886 of 8,027
After a first but intense audition of the Traillii Ti within a meet 10 days ago (and an A/B comparison with the Traillii OG), I decided to order the Ti. During this long but decisive afternoon in Amsterdam, I had the opportunity to try many totl IEMs (Storm, Supreme V3, P-Zero, RN6, XE6, Raven, etc...), but nothing got me started as the Ti.

Any other Ti's owners in here?
What'd you feel about the Storm vs Trailli OG?

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #7,887 of 8,027
What'd you feel about the Storm vs Trailli OG?
Let me chime in if you don’t mind folks - I was also able to attend recent Amsterdam meet up where it was possible to compare side by side. I was listening to OG Bird with stock PWA 1960 specially tuned cable while storm had ultra-premium Sovereign Symphony cable attached to it.

Ergonomics wise Storm shells are a bit bigger and heavier. While it wasn’t an issue to me Traillii shells felt a bit more comfortable to my ears.

Talking about sound first thing one might notice is that Storm soundstage is more rectangular, it’s like listening to a proper 2ch system, while Traillii stage is more of an oval one with it unique presentation and separation which is applied to all the recordings you listen to them through.
Both wide and deep enough when properly powered, but I believe that Storm needs something closer to 1W at least to shine properly - I was using DX320 MAX while others also prefer say external amps like PB5, so it speaks for itself I think.
Storm overall sound is more reference and more technical, while not being dry, soulless or lacking in weight.

Sub bass is strong, textured and very well defined on the Storm. It is tastefully elevated but to a bit lesser extent than Traillii ones.
Storm mid bass is much faster, hits harder and will not provide that slow, pillowy feel that Trailliis mid bass will provide.

Thus leading to Storm lower mids being clearer and apparent, while Trailliis have more weight and density. Upper mids on Strom are both not elevated nor recessed sounding more present and natural than a bit recessed ones on the Bird.
Overall mids on Storm come as more even and effortlessly detailed, probably due newer generation drivers used, like on say Fei Wan.
Traillii mids are more romantic and lush though.

And here we come to a deal breaker, at least for now and for me - to the treble.
All we know that Birds treble doesn’t have any harsh peaks, sibilance, but instead has great air on whatever you listen to it.
I’m a bit treble sensitive person and Storm comes as hot to me in the cymbals crash region even while using Eletech Baroque eartips. This also does detract from 3D stage holography to my taste. As for the rest Storm treble is pretty neutral.

As a conclusion I would pick up Storm as an upgrade to OG Traillii if you don’t mind using it with powerful sources and cymbals along with Storm fit are not a problem for you.
Otherwise the great and mighty Bird is still a top choice even if nowadays its details comes as a little less apparent in comparison, especially if you like its rich and soulful presentation.

Hope this helps!

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #7,888 of 8,027
Ti have landed. Glorious moment for a long lasting music enthusiast to unbox such a tremendous sounding set.

IMG_0577.jpeg

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #7,889 of 8,027
Ti have landed. Glorious moment for a long lasting music enthusiast to unbox such a tremendous sounding set.

IMG_0577.jpeg
Congras. I hope you enjoy them.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #7,890 of 8,027
I have on friend who hates the Mentor. Pretty strong feeling as I still thought it a good IEM, but he hates it. Kind of funny. Ticks him off every time we bring it up.
Kinda funny indeed. I think Mentor is a decent set. I picked Mentor over OG Traillii and I would do it again.

Been in this hobby for 14 years. I haven't encountered a single pair of IEMs/headphones that I hate. Sure along the way there were some I couldn't enjoy and I wished they were better like the complimentary headphones when flying coach, but never hated them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back