Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #6,436 of 8,052
Not the first time I am saying this, I find the 1960 suits the Traillii more than the Orpheus. Yes, of course the Orpheus improves the sound quality of the Traillii, no argument whatsoever about that. I have heard streaming music and old lores mp3s to pure DSD256s off a top-rated player-DAC-amp-psu stack and I remain unconvinced that the incremental benefits of the Orpheus was enough for me to swap out the 1960, which I find, for what the Traillii is best at doing, not just sonically synergized, but a very good physical match too. The Orpheus is just too hefty for the small and light Traillii, while the 1960 provides perfect balance for the Bird to perch. I have also tried other top end cables with the Traillii, the EA Centurion included, and I keep coming back to the trusty ol' 1960. 'Old wife' it might be, in my opinion, mostly because of the familiarity and comfort level it shares with the 'old man'... 😉

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #6,437 of 8,052
Not the first time I am saying this, I find the 1960 suits the Traillii more than the Orpheus. Yes, of course the Orpheus improves the sound quality of the Traillii, no argument whatsoever about that. I have heard streaming music and old lores mp3s to pure DSD256s off a top-rated player-DAC-amp-psu stack and I remain unconvinced that the incremental benefits of the Orpheus was enough for me to swap out the 1960, which I find, for what the Traillii is best at doing, not just sonically synergized, but a very good physical match too. The Orpheus is just too hefty for the small and light Traillii, while the 1960 provides perfect balance for the Bird to perch. I have also tried other top end cables with the Traillii, the EA Centurion included, and I keep coming back to the trusty ol' 1960. 'Old wife' it might be, in my opinion, mostly because of the familiarity and comfort level it shares with the 'old man'... 😉
The Orpheus makes definite sonic changes ( which I feel are improvements ) to the Trailli’s sound as I noted in a review post a ways back. Essentially a stronger and lower bass extension, a bit more body to the mids and a touch of smoothing while details seem to increase. Every once in awhile there can be a track where the original 1960’s might be slightly punchier in the midbass and you might prefer its sharper character.

I agree, allot of money, but the improvement is noticeable. I would characterize it as a slightly improved Traillii though. I have no problem with the size, but the microphonics stink. Definitely not the cable to use when moving around allot. I do still prefer the pairing. Still getting to know it.

It also seems to have a synergy with the Traillii that I am not sure is true for all other IEM’s. I have to check into this a bit more. I am wondering if it has to do with its smoothing or analogue character? If the IEM does not possess the capability to provide clearer details and deeper bass punch, its abilities are lost. This is only a hypothesis at this point. I would like to hear for other owners how it has worked for them on other IEM’s.

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #6,438 of 8,052
The Orpheus makes definite sonic changes ( which I feel are improvements ) to the Trailli’s sound as I noted in a review post a ways back. Essentially a stronger and lower bass extension, a bit more body to the mids and a touch of smoothing while details seem to increase. Every once in awhile there can be a track where the original 1960’s might be slightly punchier in the midbass and you might prefer its sharper character.

I agree, allot of money, but the improvement is noticeable. I would characterize it as a slightly improved Traillii though. I have no problem with the size, but the microphonics stink. Definitely not the cable to use when moving around allot. I do still prefer the pairing. Still getting to know it.

It also seems to have a synergy with the Traillii that I am not sure is true for all other IEM’s. I have to check into this a bit more. I am wondering if it has to do with its smoothing or analogue character? If the IEM does not possess the capability to provide clearer details and deeper bass punch, its abilities are lost. This is only a hypothesis at this point. I would like to hear for other owners how it has worked for them on other IEM’s.
No denying the Orpheus improves the sound quality of the Traillii; that said, the incremental bumps are not enough for me to listen to the Bird with it. Although nowhere close to being in the same league, both the 1960 and Orpheus are PW cables and I am certain the synergy -- so important in audio gear -- that exists for one applies to the other. [Edit: same goes for the Odin; Stormbreaker, which I do not think could tame the upper mids of the Odin, is also a PW and the Orpheus, in this case, is a great match both sonically and physically.]

I, too, have no problem with the Orpheus' size/heft, I use it with many other IEMS, but on the Traillii, the physical balance is lost -- thick cable, small light IEM just doesn't do it for me. I also have no issue with the microphonic since I listen to my music sitting, and I doubt many would want to get too active or be on the move with a $7000 cable hanging out of their ears!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #6,439 of 8,052
No denying the Orpheus improves the sound quality of the Traillii; that said, the incremental bumps are not enough for me to listen to the Bird with it. Although nowhere close to being in the same league, both the 1960 and Orpheus are PW cables and I am certain the synergy -- so important in audio gear -- that exists for one applies to the other. [Edit: same goes for the Odin; Stormbreaker, which I do not think could tame the upper mids of the Odin, is also a PW and the Orpheus, in this case, is a great match both sonically and physically.]

I, too, have no problem with the Orpheus' size/heft, I use it with many other IEMS, but on the Traillii, the physical balance is lost -- thick cable, small light cable just doesn't do it for me. I also have no issue with the microphonic since I listen to my music sitting, and I doubt many would want to get too active or be on the move with a $7000 cable hanging out of their ears!
I have no fit issues. My Traillii stays perfectly seated even if I am moving around. I use the sednashortlights with it and it fits perfectly for me. You may not have as tight a fit.

I am usually sitting as well, so not a big deal at all with the microphonics, but sometimes I use them while doing something and then I notice it. Again, I can tolerate it, but I would prefer if they did not exist.

How do you think the Orpheus sounds with your other IEM’s?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #6,440 of 8,052
I tried Orpheus on a few IEMs. Was not a fan of it with the Elysian X, the overall sound was too smooth and lacked any sort of “bite”, loved it on the A12t but I’d never use an Orpheus for that IEM for obvious reasons.

I am with @efftee though, the Traillii is such a compact and ergonomic IEM that using the Orpheus with it took that away from me and eventually became too much of an annoyance.

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #6,441 of 8,052
I have no fit issues. My Traillii stays perfectly seated even if I am moving around. I use the sednashortlignhts with it and it fits perfectly for me. You may not have as tight a fit.

I am usually sitting as well, so not a big deal at all with the microphonics, but sometimes I use them while doing something and then I notice it. Again, I can tolerate it, but I would prefer if they did not exist.

How do you think the Orpheus sounds with your other IEM’s?
So far, good with the VE8, but then most every cable I have, eg the Centurion, Copper+, a few Wagnus incl the Sieve Sheep, all lifts the VE8. Great with the Odin, like I said, it best tames the upper mids harshness for me. Doesn't pair well with the Annihilator or the FAD Pianofortes and Lab 2. Will be trying it with my Fitears, now that I have a prototype Fitear ConX connectors but I have always preferred Japanese cables with Japanese IEMs. Oh I listened to the Jewel with both the Orpheus and Centurion, they were both much better than the stock and I felt both cables had slight differences, which could be good for different preferences.

[Edit; Sorry, the Pianofortes have fixed cable, but it's the same as the Lab 2 so you can take it as suck for one, suck for the other.]

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #6,442 of 8,052
The ergo of the orphy are as bad as the sound is good.

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #6,443 of 8,052

I have to agree that I notice the noticeable improvement in SQ in the very first minutes listening to Orpheus. The vocal is much more textured and detailed, the black background makes the notes heavier and more dynamic. It increases both macro details and micro details, whereas keep the same or even more smooth and analogue tonality. It makes me wonder that Orpheus is especially tailored for Traillii ? Or it also sounds great on other IEMs such as RH or Jewel ? At this highest level, the synergy is even more important than the price.
Have you ever tried Orbit Saga pair with Traillii and compare to Orpheus ? I wonder at the same price (7000 usd), does it bring the same huge improvement for Traillii as Orpheus does or not ?

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #6,444 of 8,052
I have to agree that I notice the noticeable improvement in SQ in the very first minutes listening to Orpheus. The vocal is much more textured and detailed, the black background makes the notes heavier and more dynamic. It increases both macro details and micro details, whereas keep the same or even more smooth and analogue tonality. It makes me wonder that Orpheus is especially tailored for Traillii ? Or it also sounds great on other IEMs such as RH or Jewel ? At this highest level, the synergy is even more important than the price.
Have you ever tried Orbit Saga pair with Traillii and compare to Orpheus ? I wonder at the same price (7000 usd), does it bring the same huge improvement for Traillii as Orpheus does or not ?
Orbit is a pretty looking cable and likely more ergonomic from the looks of it. I still think the prices of these cables are absolutely ridiculous...but I get it-for maximizing every last ounce on the portable realm, it's sadly the price some people have to and are okay paying.

I too agree with efftee that 1960 4W synergy plays near perfectly with Traillii, adding the punch and bite to offset the musical warmth-even over other TOTL cables like Aeneid, PW First Times, etc. (Haven't heard Centurion or Orphy).

1650386952160.png

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #6,445 of 8,052
No, sir.

But it’s a bargain vs the orphy, with an msrp of merely $4,999.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #6,446 of 8,052
Orbit is a pretty looking cable and likely more ergonomic from the looks of it. I still think the prices of these cables are absolutely ridiculous...but I get it-for maximizing every last ounce on the portable realm, it's sadly the price some people have to and are okay paying.

I too agree with efftee that 1960 4W synergy plays near perfectly with Traillii, adding the punch and bite to offset the musical warmth-even over other TOTL cables like Aeneid, PW First Times, etc. (Haven't heard Centurion or Orphy).

1650386952160.png
Which iem that you pair with Orbit Saga ? Traillii ? And how is the sound improved with it ?

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #6,447 of 8,052
Which iem that you pair with Orbit Saga ? Traillii ? And how is the sound improved with it ?
Oh no my friend, I stole this picture from the internet. But I'd love to hear comparisons against Orpheus as well if anyone has heard Orbit Saga.

@Damz87 pull out that wallet brother.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #6,448 of 8,052
I am considering selling the PW Audio First Times flagship cable I obtained new last week, 2 pin 4.4 balanced. If you are in EU or UK and as bird lover want the opportunity to obtain it at a discount :wink: drop me a PM. I haven’t listed it in the classifieds yet. It’s obviously a great cable :).

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #6,449 of 8,052
Cables need to be matched with our setup and our taste.
I read Orpheus has a fuller sound with full mid bass and some donn' like a lot,but if you have a warm dap with for exemple C9 tube in class A sure Orpheus will be not a good match,even if is the best cable.
Same like in hiend where i listened cables of 20K eachfor exemple Nordost Odin 2 with CH Precision in a system with a bad sound

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #6,450 of 8,052
I am very very friend with a cable producer in italy VYDA,and produce also VYGER turntable,57K that i have,and are fantastic cables made with solid core in pure silver
I will ask to try to do some cables for iem,i think no but i will push,if will try i am sure to have among the best cables at very low price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back