Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
May 2, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #6,466 of 8,027
I, uhm... "totally lost my mind" is, I think, an apt term... I totally lost my mind and ordered the Red Halo FS, the one with the cactus wood and the red First Times cable. You know, the unreasonably expensive one. Love my Mason FS and really intrigued what that would sound like with a more bone conduction leaning driver setup and wider soundstage. It just looks beautiful too, and got some kind of crown collector instinct going in me. I'm turning into an... IEM collector now. Constantly shifting between Mason FS and Trailli is so much fun, they fit different albums.

So in a week or two I'll have the Red Halo and can share opinions too. This thread seems to be the only place online where people seriously discuss it, the RH thread is a graveyard of ten pages of people complaining about the pricing (I get it, it's heinous, it's for bourgeois people -- but how does it sound like?) Not a lot of reviews, especially the Final Times cable version, the confusingly shorter titled Red Halo FS. What I heard here got me very curious though. Trailli is great, and with Orpheus, it's just perfect. It's very hard to improve on it. (With the original cable I don't much like it. Attila is another cable that makes it much better for me, but Orpheus and Trailli are just... they're just so logical. You hear that sound for the first time, you go: ah, okay, so that's what the best sounds like. Sure. Yeah. Kinda thought it would be like that too.

But... it doesn't have that bone conduction realism and subtle 3D effect.

Really interested to see how RH works with its FT cable and with Orpheus too. What got me buying is -- in reverse order of importance:

1) They look gorgeous, like Mason FS. That cactus wood filled with plastic is spellbinding design. There's a jewellery angle to this hobby and the UM cactus wood IEMs are the most beautiful I've ever seen (or held, they feel amazing to hold too). Gotta have the red one too, c'mon. Gotta have it. Can life without the red one really be called a life?

2) Super interested to see what the 3D effect of bone conduction does to a show-off wide-tuned soundstage (Mason FS is famously, stubbornly circular). Trailli-like vastness and bone conduction 3D and weight... That sounds amazing.

3) Once you get very used to Mason FS's bone conduction -- once you let your brain get used to it that is, at first it's very meh -- other IEM's start sounding artificial. Like, even with Trailli, it's not really the sound of those instruments, is it? It's the e-stat treble doing its wispy magic and the mids too etc -- but I don't feel like I'm hearing "natural" sounds. I feel like I'm hearing a magical, comic book WOW impressive representation of the sounds, produced by a huge bunch of unspeakably well tuned drivers. Built to wow the hell out of me. And it works, so so well. But it's not what it was "like in the studio". I've been in the studio. I've also heard sounds, they don't sound like the trailli e-stat (for good or ill). Mason Fs sounds like: yeah, that's Thom Yorke from Radiohead singing. In a booth, in the studio. That's an electric guitar playing. I completely believe it, travels through my skull too. You know, like all sounds do a bit (except IEMs). This kind of "believability" in a different soundstge -- please, yes.

Gonna take a long time for them to come, just so excited I had to already write a post, just to kill time. LOTS of comparisons incoming.
Please keep us updated. I like the RH I heard at CanJam. A great piece with the First Times cable.

Not sure what you mean by Traillii not sounding like instruments. For me I still view it has having the most accurate timbre of the IEMs I have heard. Anyway, enjoy. I found the Halo to be special with female vocals.

May 2, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #6,467 of 8,027
I, uhm... "totally lost my mind" is, I think, an apt term... I totally lost my mind and ordered the Red Halo FS, the one with the cactus wood and the red First Times cable. You know, the unreasonably expensive one. Love my Mason FS and really intrigued what that would sound like with a more bone conduction leaning driver setup and wider soundstage. It just looks beautiful too, and got some kind of crown collector instinct going in me. I'm turning into an... IEM collector now. Constantly shifting between Mason FS and Trailli is so much fun, they fit different albums.

So in a week or two I'll have the Red Halo and can share opinions too. This thread seems to be the only place online where people seriously discuss it, the RH thread is a graveyard of ten pages of people complaining about the pricing (I get it, it's heinous, it's for bourgeois people -- but how does it sound like?) Not a lot of reviews, especially the Final Times cable version, the confusingly shorter titled Red Halo FS. What I heard here got me very curious though. Trailli is great, and with Orpheus, it's just perfect. It's very hard to improve on it. (With the original cable I don't much like it. Attila is another cable that makes it much better for me, but Orpheus and Trailli are just... they're just so logical. You hear that sound for the first time, you go: ah, okay, so that's what the best sounds like. Sure. Yeah. Kinda thought it would be like that too.

Really interested to see how RH works with its FT cable and with Orpheus too. What got me buying is -- in reverse order of importance:

1) They look gorgeous, like Mason FS. That cactus wood filled with plastic is spellbinding design. There's a jewellery angle to this hobby and the UM cactus wood IEMs are the most beautiful I've ever seen (or held, they feel amazing to hold too). Gotta have the red one too, c'mon. Gotta have it. Can life without the red one really be called a life?

2) Super interested to see what the 3D effect of bone conduction does to a show-off wide-tuned soundstage (Mason FS is famously, stubbornly circular). Trailli-like vastness and bone conduction 3D and weight... That sounds amazing.

3) Once you get very used to Mason FS's bone conduction -- once you let your brain get used to it that is, at first it's very meh -- other IEM's start sounding artificial. Like, even with Trailli, it's not really the sound of those instruments, is it? It's the e-stat treble doing its wispy magic and the mids too etc -- but I don't feel like I'm hearing "natural" sounds. I feel like I'm hearing a magical, comic book WOW impressive representation of the sounds, produced by a huge bunch of unspeakably well tuned drivers. Built to wow the hell out of me. And it works, so so well. But it's not what it was "like in the studio". I've been in the studio. I've also heard sounds, they don't sound like the trailli e-stat (for good or ill). Mason Fs sounds like: yeah, that's Thom Yorke from Radiohead singing. In a booth, in the studio. That's an electric guitar playing. I completely believe it, travels through my skull too. You know, like all sounds do a bit (except IEMs). This kind of "believability" in a different soundstge -- please, yes.

Gonna take a long time for them to come, just so excited I had to already write a post, just to kill time. LOTS of comparisons incoming

Congrats! As you noted, very sparse info about RH and limited comparisons to Mason FS. It would be great to hear a real shoot-out between Mason FS and RH, and Traillii ... hopefully after the initial honeymoon phase is over.

Here I am hoping that it's a minimal incremental difference to FS, lol :sweat_smile: Looking forward to your impressions!

May 5, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #6,468 of 8,027
Hey, guys. I was wondering if anyone can point me to which van nuys case fits the cayin c9 and the wm1zm2? I saw pictures of it somewhere on this board but don't know which exactly to order. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

May 5, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #6,469 of 8,027
I believe it is the Van Nuys VE291

1651757344457.png

May 5, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #6,470 of 8,027
I have Red Halo Fe and is really incredible.
Next week will arrive Jewel,already paid and end of may will buy Traillii
Very courious to compare.
I have 10 top cartridges,i listen only analog and Vynil in my system,and every top cartridges is different form others,but all have fantastic sound with different characteristics,
one better for voices,one natural for few instrunment,other big scena and depth,so iem are the same,all top are fantastic

May 5, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #6,471 of 8,027
Not sure what you mean by Traillii not sounding like instruments. For me I still view it has having the most accurate timbre of the IEMs I have heard. Anyway, enjoy. I found the Halo to be special with female vocals.
+1. I even find Bird as more timbre-accurate versus TOTL planar HPs like Susvara (at least for stringed instruments). Bird does suffer on some percussive instruments like drums which I would attribute to the BAs instead of DD in the lower end. This is most noticeable against the Jewel, or LCD5, for example.

But for rich, "emotional" strings, nothing has beat Traillii for me across both IEM and HPs to date.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #6,472 of 8,027
May 5, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #6,473 of 8,027
+1. I even find Bird as more timbre-accurate versus TOTL planar HPs like Susvara (at least for stringed instruments). Bird does suffer on some percussive instruments like drums which I would attribute to the BAs instead of DD in the lower end. This is most noticeable against the Jewel, or LCD5, for example.

But for rich, "emotional" strings, nothing has beat Traillii for me across both IEM and HPs to date.
indeed.

bird+orphy for me is just next-level stuff vs all iems (and pretty much all hps) I've heard to date. it's been that way since day one, and it's remained that way till this day...long past any "honeymoon" phase.

finally going to start catching up on the iems I've missed while I've been traveling the last few months (ext tomorrow, jewel on the way, phonix and xe6 to follow shorty after.)

really curious to see if I can find anything that even comes close to this combo for me...

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #6,474 of 8,027
7000 dollars for a cable just doesnt compute...the cable cant possibly be worth significantly more than the IEM
Oh, come on. This is a very small difference, the cable is only $ 400 more expensive. This is only 6% more than the price of iems!)

May 7, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #6,476 of 8,027
thanks a ton
That looks great. Anyone know if this malaysian shop is the only way to get it, and if its legit?

https://shopee.com.my/Oulin-•-Japan-VanNuys-VE291-Cayin-C9-Dap-Storage-Bag-Palace-Level-Brand--i.296263346.8889889754

Didn't get anything else on google... Van Nuys seems to have a weird lack of actual shop where all their stuff is together and you can just buy it.
I'm trying to order this and can't find it anywhere that ships to the US. Can't believe something would be so hard to find here. It's crazy!

May 7, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #6,477 of 8,027
May 7, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #6,478 of 8,027
Thanks for the response! I'm trying to buy it but no luck. :frowning2:
Audiophilia is really quest.
I usually buy them in Japan and then use the services of a forwarder to deliver from there.

May 7, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #6,479 of 8,027

Gonna take a long time for them to come, just so excited I had to already write a post, just to kill time. LOTS of comparisons incoming.
how much does Traillii change with Attila? what does he have more or different?

May 7, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #6,480 of 8,027
how much does Traillii change with Attila? what does he have more or different?
I didn't compare it to stock cable, but the combination of Attila and Traillii is really good. It adds transparency and more 3D, more accurate positioning of instruments. The sound is more organic and more natural. This is compared to EA Cleo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back