Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Apr 17, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #6,422 of 8,052
Due to a recent upgrade to a Luxury Precision P6 Pro - from the continually excellent Andrew at MusicTeck, I think I've found my current end-game DAP to use with my Oriolus Traillii. Spent most of this week burning in - so only had a few hours to test today, but so far, so fabulous! I am hearing some serious musical nirvana with this combo. Hence I'm putting my previous DAP up for sale. If anyone is interested, I have a mint condition Astell & Kern SP1000M looking for a new home;

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/astell-kern-a-ultima-sp1000m.25793/

I've also listed a lovely Effect Audio Thor II 8-wire replacement cable as well;

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/effect-audio-thor-silver-ii-8-wire-braid-upgrade-cable.25794/

I will submit more impressions on the P6 Pro and Trailli combo in a week or so, when I've had more time with them. This is something else though! :dt880smile:

Any reason to choose the "normal" version over "obsidian"? I doubt much differences tbh, but yea the bird paired with a p6pro is heavenly!

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #6,423 of 8,052
Any reason to choose the "normal" version over "obsidian"? I doubt much differences tbh, but yea the bird paired with a p6pro is heavenly!
They have different tunings.

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #6,424 of 8,052
So... I wonder. If the Traillii is thought to be less detailed than the Susvara, and if the Utopia considered less detailed than the the Susvara, I wonder how l'oiseau compares to the Utopia in that regard.
I'd say so, the Susvara has more detail retrieval than the Traillii, but not by a huge margin. On the other hand I find the Traillii faster. The Susvara is definitely a step up regarding detail retrival to the Utopia. Utopia vs Traillii is hard to compare. Utopia is very immersive and has a close soundstage and is tuned brigther. The Traillii is warmer and with a very wide sound stage.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #6,425 of 8,052
I am lucky enough to own both..trailli is pretty much as detailed as the susvara but cant match the susvara soundstage or bass IMHO...that said the "bird" is the closest thing I have yet heard to a TOTL over the ear open HP

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #6,426 of 8,052
Sorry, not sure if I’m misunderstanding you. Are you saying there are two flavours of the P6 Pro? I thought that outside of the the limited release versions and Ti, it was just the P6 and the P6 Pro. I went with the P6 Pro - mainly because of all the improvements that L&P implemented. I’m absolutely LOVING it every time I plug in and hit play!

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #6,427 of 8,052
I am lucky enough to own both..trailli is pretty much as detailed as the susvara but cant match the susvara soundstage or bass IMHO...that said the "bird" is the closest thing I have yet heard to a TOTL over the ear open HP
I agree ........the bird is about 80% close to the fantastic sounding new burned-in ZMF Atrium open HP I recently received. A real joy to have both to enjoy.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #6,428 of 8,052
Sorry, not sure if I’m misunderstanding you. Are you saying there are two flavours of the P6 Pro? I thought that outside of the the limited release versions and Ti, it was just the P6 and the P6 Pro. I went with the P6 Pro - mainly because of all the improvements that L&P implemented. I’m absolutely LOVING it every time I plug in and hit play!
There are indeed two versions of the p6pro! You can tell by the colour of the devices - black (the OG Pro) and silver (obsidian). As alluded to above, different tunings. The obsidian is more mid and vocal tuned. I got the obsidian because some folk said that was closer to the LP in how it sounds.

But I've also not heard the OG so not sure how much of a difference there really is. I think both sing with traillii regardless!

Apr 18, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #6,429 of 8,052
There are indeed two versions of the p6pro! You can tell by the colour of the devices - black (the OG Pro) and silver (obsidian). As alluded to above, different tunings. The obsidian is more mid and vocal tuned. I got the obsidian because some folk said that was closer to the LP in how it sounds.

But I've also not heard the OG so not sure how much of a difference there really is. I think both sing with traillii regardless!
Good to know, I honestly had no idea there were two flavours! Either way, I’m extremely satisfied with the black model. Want to post some impressions, but only had it a week - so mostly working through the burn-in still. Will have a more accurate analysis in a couple of weeks. But so far, it’s the most natural - yet technical, musical presentation I’ve heard from anything. Simply stunning with Trialli

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #6,430 of 8,052
<SNIP> I do know I will never sell this Orpheus cable. Once you've heard it, you're not giving this up. For anything. <SNIP>

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2: This is the problem... once I heard it.... :deadhorse:

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #6,431 of 8,052
1 billion percent.

I didn't plan to listen...I certainly didn't plan to buy...but mistakes were made...

...and glory was discovered.

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #6,432 of 8,052
I think this has not been posted here? This is Peter from PW.

2C14E4FA-ECCA-4FC0-BB09-8C97FBCEE644.jpeg

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #6,433 of 8,052
Apr 18, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #6,434 of 8,052
I'd say so, the Susvara has more detail retrieval than the Traillii, but not by a huge margin. On the other hand I find the Traillii faster. The Susvara is definitely a step up regarding detail retrival to the Utopia. Utopia vs Traillii is hard to compare. Utopia is very immersive and has a close soundstage and is tuned brigther. The Traillii is warmer and with a very wide sound stage.

Thank you both for sharing your impressions!

I am only familiar with the Utopia. I have listened to several Hifiman 'phones, owned one pair, and have been following the entire Susvara thread since the start (not to mention much of this thread); so I feel that through a certain degree of triangulation I can sort of surmise whether or not the Triallii will butter my bread. Of course, having a set to try out in person would be most sensible.

I suppose for sheer sound 'quality' (assuming I would subjectively enjoy the Susvaras the most), then the Hifimans would be the way to go. I have a pretty good two channel system at home already though, and would the flexibility (portability) of some nice(r) IEMs, so I'm considering abandoning plans for fancy open-back cans. Meanwhile, I don't want to give up too much (not to mention, too much cash) by venturing down the just-as-expensive IEM route.

Don't mind me, tired brain is just thinking aloud here.

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #6,435 of 8,052
It’s really hard to come back to the “old wife” 1960s once had heard Orpheus….
Has anyone tried Orbit Saga with Traillii and compare to Orpheus ? It’s very little reviews on Orbit Saga but someone said it is even better than Orpheus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back