Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Nov 15, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #5,671 of 8,024
I'd like to briefly share my continued thoughts on the FT cable; now after about 50hrs of break-in and use. Right on the heels of @twister6's review, we hear things similarly, and I am inclined to agree with him here :)

This is one special cable. I love it more and more, and it's become better and better. It's interesting that such a discussion has been had here about how this cable changes the Trailli, or pushes things out of eveness, because in my experience this hasn't been the case at all. In fact I found it much more even, and not the bass focus others are hearing either. What I hear is sublime layering, a more solid and stable foundation with an uber black background, much more tightness and control while never feeling tense or forced, an unexaggeratedly huge soundstage, and a very special airy treble that has absolutely no harsh or shrill features to speak of. It's everything I wanted it to be, and more.

I remember owning a EA Janus D, and demoing the Code 51 and just wishing that I could have a combination of both. I even contacted EA to ask if it was possible, and no :) the Janus is beautiful, balanced, and musical, but also almost a bit too wide, throwing instruments too far off to the sides to create its stage. And it was a tad too laid back for me too. The C51 was thunderous, powerful, and extremely musical, but I found it just a tad too aggressive, too pushy and intense to enjoy for longer periods or for more relaxed music. The transients were also too crisp for me.

I would say, with a grain of salt and fading memories, that the FT is really that combination I was dreaming of. Powerful but relaxed, even but exciting. Black background and crazy detail, but never hitting you over the head with it, instead just very natural and musical. Amazing details and large stage, but never too much so, keeping it realistic but also grandiose. Hyperbole was invented for this kind go thing.

As it pertains to Traillii, I am smitten. It is a sublime pairing, and exactly what I was looking for. I would say in response to those that want their Traillii "a bit thicker and more bass" might look instead at the 1950, which is a lovely pairing. The FT is more dynamic, more open, more spacious, more detailed, and more Traillii - y, and a better fit for those who want to keep the original tuning, but just up the everything a few notches. I found the bass to be sublime, reaching deeper and a lot more controlled. The treble is sweet and crisp but not overdone. The transients are clean and with the black background I find them even more poignant and bell like, the stock cable treble was a tad glossy and forced compared to the natural way FT ascends the highs.

I will echo my very first observation, (which is rare to be the same after more and more listening) that for Traillii this cable is a perfect match, excels in all styles, and carries my highest recommendation.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #5,673 of 8,024
59A8029F-D0B4-4F1F-9171-72068311FC26.jpeg
Took a while, and had to pull some strings to get the special faceplate engraving, but I’m happy to say the Bird has finally landed.
Gorgeous. I think I like that faceplate more than @bluestorm1992 . This one looks more Chinese. The other one looks more Japanese.

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #5,675 of 8,024
Monday night bliss with the Traillii. This artist records also under the Spatialize moniker which is a more upbeat, dubby, psychedelic affair. His Experiments in Silence albums lean more ambient but with a lot of detail and the bird is an ideal way to capture all of the intricate beauty - absolutely captivating stuff and highly recommended.

Nov 18, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #5,676 of 8,024
Loving this setup, even more than the new rs6.

Attachments

• 2E06DC55-BA5C-4A59-B376-1E54A8C5792F.jpeg
    2E06DC55-BA5C-4A59-B376-1E54A8C5792F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • BEAE8BD1-4B8C-480E-A1F1-91333CF9D22D.jpeg
    BEAE8BD1-4B8C-480E-A1F1-91333CF9D22D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 18, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #5,677 of 8,024
Loving this setup, even more than the new rs6.
I am going to try it. Ordering the R3 Pro from Amazon which has a return date of 1/31/22. Getting the Mojo / R3Pro case from Aliexpress.

You think it sounds better than the RS6?

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #5,679 of 8,024
Yeah much better to my ears. RS6 sounds boring imo
I have been arguing on the Mojo 2 thread that this use case is how Chord should optimize the Mojo 2. Make it more like the C9, but in a much more portable form and allow it to easily connect up to any of the most popular DAPs via a line out. Make cases like the one Aliexpress is offering or work with Van Nuys to do it. That would make the Mojo 2 relevant to a much broader market.

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #5,680 of 8,024
Nov 18, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #5,684 of 8,024
Yeah I wouldn't describe RS6 as boring either, one of the more meaty and engaging DAP signatures I have heard. I would have imagined it would be amazing with Traillii.
Could be a bit too much midbass emphasis + midbass emphasis with Traillii, but I haven't heard the combo myself. @xenithon will be better placed to comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back