Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Nov 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #5,656 of 8,024
While I hear those changes (blacker background, soundstage expansion), the bass boost and subdued treble were the two things that immediately struck me. This leads to what @Deferenz is looking for by adding a smoother, more dark, punchy listen with top notch technicalities.

I am using SP2k and CP145. Switching tips helps brighten it back up a bit. Curious what tips @Frainen is using with FT + bird.

I also believe that this may be the same non-shielded cable you used earlier (or, at least confirmed 50 hours burn-in from a previous audition).
gotta try orphy…

:wink:

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #5,657 of 8,024
Are you using LPGT as your source? And if I remember correctly, you have Shielded thicker version of First Time?

As Ricky and some others mentioned above, I don't find any bass lift going from 1960 to FT. It does lifts the veil, with FT being super micro-detailed while still keeping the natural tonality of the Bird. As a result, background is blacker, dynamics improved, soundstage is expanded, and maybe that changes the perception of how you hear the bass due to contrast between mids and lows? Don't want to hype things up, but after pair up with Traillii, it is hard to go back to the stock cable.
Precisely. The FT lifts the veil!

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #5,658 of 8,024
While I hear those changes (blacker background, soundstage expansion), the bass boost and subdued treble were the two things that immediately struck me. This leads to what @Deferenz is looking for by adding a smoother, more dark, punchy listen with top notch technicalities.

I am using SP2k and CP145. Switching tips helps brighten it back up a bit. Curious what tips @Frainen is using with FT + bird.

I also believe that this may be the same non-shielded cable you used earlier (or, at least confirmed 50 hours burn-in from a previous audition).
I have been using the N6ii ti for comparison, and the W2 this weekend.
Tips wise, currently I use the JVC Dots++, I might switch back to the Azla Crystal.
Also yes, I am using the shielded version, it is possible it sounds different than the normal version, I cannot say.

If I take a song like:
Billie Bossa Nova

With the FT, the voice will be slightly warmer, intimate, more emphasis on the bass.
With the Centurion, there will be more focus on some of the instruments you can hear on the side. It "claps" more.

I don't feel I get more details with the FT (compared to Centurion) however it gives a more analog sound.
I do not prefer one to another, and that's the problem to me, I don't know what to feel when comparing both :)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #5,659 of 8,024
I have been using the N6ii ti for comparison, and the W2 this weekend.
Tips wise, currently I use the JVC Dots++, I might switch back to the Azla Crystal.
Also yes, I am using the shielded version, it is possible it sounds different than the normal version, I cannot say.

If I take a song like:
Billie Bossa Nova

With the FT, the voice will be slightly warmer, intimate, more emphasis on the bass.
With the Centurion, there will be more focus on some of the instruments you can hear on the side. It "claps" more.

I don't feel I get more details with the FT (compared to Centurion) however it gives a more analog sound.
I do not prefer one to another, and that's the problem to me, I don't know what to feel when comparing both :)
That's the hardest place to be, choosing between bassy but clear and clear but bassy. It's a subtle difference that drives me mad, depending on my mood and what I'm comparing.

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #5,660 of 8,024
That's the hardest place to be, choosing between bassy but clear and clear but bassy. It's a subtle difference that drives me mad, depending on my mood and what I'm comparing.
One more example:

On this song, the Centurion will provide enough bass, but cleaner presentation than the PW FT.
My brain associated the Bird as Traillii + Centurion, that's the main problem I think :)

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #5,661 of 8,024
One more example:

On this song, the Centurion will provide enough bass, but cleaner presentation than the PW FT.
My brain associated the Bird as Traillii + Centurion, that's the main problem I think :)
Over the years I've grown to appreciate clarity, or more specifically how midbass thickness/bloom dulls or veils clarity. It's why I've gravitated more towards a DD bass sound that's able to keep the heft without blooming over the mids, and is focused more on sub-bass and less on midbass. It's a difficult balancing act. Veer too far towards clarity and the bass becomes unsatisfying, but veer back too far into the bass and you miss that clarity.

Personally I feel Traillii is best with the stock cable, or at least straddles that balance better than most IEMs I've heard. I would not want any less bass with Traillii, perhaps even a touch more to be honest, but not more midbass, if that makes sense.

The only thing it's really missing, for my taste, is the weight and extension into sub-bass that only a finely tuned DD can deliver, physically, but whether or not that would upset the overall balance I'm not sure. I don't think it would, other IEMs like Odin have been able to use two giant DD woofers yet keep them lean and neutral but full of weight and extension.

As for 'fixing' that with a cable, it won't make a difference. I'd bet not even Orphy will add DD-like sub-bass physicality to Traillii.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #5,662 of 8,024
One more example:

I think I know what you are coming from. By no means FT is awesome cable of remarkable resolution of its own but still falls of Cenurion's clarity. It is a difference between 2K and 4K in terms of imaging.
It is not only for treble but extends to bass as well. How can you resist if your IEM can handle this pureness..

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #5,663 of 8,024
I think I know what you are coming from. By no means FT is awesome cable of remarkable resolution of its own but still falls of Cenurion's clarity. It is a difference between 2K and 4K in terms of imaging.
It is not only for treble but extends to bass as well. How can you resist if your IEM can handle this pureness..
The other side of the coin is that extreme clarity is very unforgiving of poorer material, so you're limited to only playing back the finest recordings. Unless you're a glutton for punishment and have to hear every distorted and cheap sample or poorly micced vocals on many otherwise great albums. So it might improve quality (with the right material) but reduces versatility with other material.

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #5,664 of 8,024
The other side of the coin is that extreme clarity is very unforgiving of poorer material, so you're limited to only playing back the finest recordings. Unless you're a glutton for punishment and have to hear every distorted and cheap sample or poorly micced vocals on many otherwise great albums. So it might improve quality (with the right material) but reduces versatility with other material.

Good point but if I spent this much money for enoyment I want to deal with only the best including recordings I am putting into reproduction. I am not putting anything with artifacts into turn table :)
If I start noticing the tinest sounding instrument and be amused by it, thats a good listening session.
Centurion can be a bit revealing but with right IEMs, I am sure it's a life-like sounding experience
all the way.

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #5,665 of 8,024
59A8029F-D0B4-4F1F-9171-72068311FC26.jpeg

Took a while, and had to pull some strings to get the special faceplate engraving, but I’m happy to say the Bird has finally landed.

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #5,666 of 8,024
59A8029F-D0B4-4F1F-9171-72068311FC26.jpeg
Took a while, and had to pull some strings to get the special faceplate engraving, but I’m happy to say the Bird has finally landed.
Looks awesome! Love the left faceplate in particular🕊

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #5,667 of 8,024

I didn't realise you could order it without the Oriolus logo and have a custom engraving made! Why did you do that to me... 😳😝 (PS. Looks much better than stock, congrats).

I'm now picturing an all-black faceplate and body with a gold bird etched so they face each other when the earpieces are held together (and help denote left and right).

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #5,668 of 8,024
Tweet tweet…looks great, @efftee!

Enjoy it.

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #5,669 of 8,024
I didn't realise you could order it without the Oriolus logo and have a custom engraving made! Why did you do that to me... 😳😝 (PS. Looks much better than stock, congrats).

I'm now picturing an all-black faceplate and body with a gold bird etched so they face each other when the earpieces are held together (and help denote left and right).
Black? Oh no. Oriolus Traillii means 'maroon oriole', hence the original maroon faceplate and that’s the only color of the Bird for me. The characters spell out its name in Chinese (direct translation = vermilion oriole). And the bird logo, well, needs no explanation. After the first hour or so of listening, it’s already singing quite nicely; I’ve swapped the stock tips to Xelestecs, more comfortable for me and the bass sounded better too. I’ll let burn in with the 1960 stock for a while and maybe will have some fun cable rolling then.

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #5,670 of 8,024
Just finished and want to share my review of PWAudio First Times cable. And with too many references to Traillii, this will be a good place to park it :)

pwa-first-time-11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back