Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Nov 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #5,701 of 8,024
Sorry to say but $4K was always its true value (with or without the cable). I wouldn't be too upset about it - a few K in the greater scheme of things comes and goes, but the pleasure you've already gotten from it and will continue getting has no real price on it.

Yes that's true - and to be fair, 20% isn't unusual for discounts at these events - obviously 20% of a larger number equals a large number! I've got over it now as I listen to Traillii again :)

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #5,702 of 8,024
Yes that's true - and to be fair, 20% isn't unusual for discounts at these events - obviously 20% of a larger number equals a large number! I've got over it now as I listen to Traillii again :)
And this time next year it'll be on sale for $2999 or less. That's just the way it goes. These devices aren't investments that appreciate. But if you buy one and enjoy it for several years, you'll get more than your money's worth.

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #5,703 of 8,024
And this time next year it'll be on sale for $2999 or less. That's just the way it goes. These devices aren't investments that appreciate. But if you buy one and enjoy it for several years, you'll get more than your money's worth.

Indeed, like buying a brand new car - something I've only done once and will probably never do again... you might as well be throwing cash out the window as you drive off in your shiny new car, depreciating with each km clocked.

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #5,704 of 8,024
Indeed, like buying a brand new car - something I've only done once and will probably never do again... you might as well be throwing cash out the window as you drive off in your shiny new car, depreciating with each km clocked.
Same here. Did it once, never again.

Nov 21, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #5,705 of 8,024
I don’t think the car analogy applies here. We’re not talking a used piece, the discount is on new units (or am I wrong?). A slightly larger discount on an aging product is an expected and common practice, though TOTL items should be exempted from that practice. Discounting erodes brand value; businesses have to know that and balance brand management with increasing stock level and decreasing cash flow. It’s tough but nothing kills a brand faster than deep discounting. Bargain hunters have no brand loyalty and will go where the next deal is, while patrons flee when they feel ripped off. It’s a double-edged sword, man.

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #5,706 of 8,024
I just clicked on their (Musicteck) Black Friday sales link and I see the same $4k offer for Traillii and Mason FS, but it says limited to only 5 units, so I assume they are not going to sell more than 5 units at that price. It's almost like some retailers doing Black Friday early morning crazy deals for a few big screen TVs or some video game consoles, limiting to only a few units sold at a cost.

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #5,707 of 8,024
Yes, but this is more like a 40% discount. There is a value to having it for most of this year though.

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #5,708 of 8,024
As has been mentioned before, it’s around the 20% mark which isn’t out of the norm for BF specials. In particular for limited quantities.

I’m personally not too phased. I paid more as an early adopter and have zero regrets.

Taking a look at Musicteck’s list of BF pricing, the one that REALLY caught my eye was the Traillii / First Times combo at $5999. For anyone that was looking at both it’s a helluva deal.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #5,709 of 8,024
As has been mentioned before, it’s around the 20% mark which isn’t out of the norm for BF specials. In particular for limited quantities.

I’m personally not too phased. I paid more as an early adopter and have zero regrets.

Taking a look at Musicteck’s list of BF pricing, the one that REALLY caught my eye was the Traillii / First Times combo at $5999. For anyone that was looking at both it’s a helluva deal.
I wonder if you get the Traillii stock cable along with the FT, in which case it's an absolute sweetener. Doubt it though.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #5,710 of 8,024
I wouldn't be surprised to see the price reduced permanently... 6k is just too steep for an IEM. After the crazies got theirs (myself included), I'm pretty sure sales reduced to almost nothing.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #5,711 of 8,024
I wouldn't be surprised to see the price reduced permanently... 6k is just too steep for an IEM. After the crazies got theirs (myself included), I'm pretty sure sales reduced to almost nothing.
I agree. $5K with a super high-end cable, $4K without. That's where I'd peg the real worth of the Bird. Said it from day one, so not just responding to the sale price.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #5,713 of 8,024
I don’t think the car analogy applies here. We’re not talking a used piece, the discount is on new units (or am I wrong?). A slightly larger discount on an aging product is an expected and common practice, though TOTL items should be exempted from that practice. Discounting erodes brand value; businesses have to know that and balance brand management with increasing stock level and decreasing cash flow. It’s tough but nothing kills a brand faster than deep discounting. Bargain hunters have no brand loyalty and will go where the next deal is, while patrons flee when they feel ripped off. It’s a double-edged sword, man.

The car analogy was more me accepting how the value of my purchase has dropped relative to how a new car does.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #5,714 of 8,024
The car analogy was more me accepting how the value of my purchase has dropped relative to how a new car does.
I think though, as with a car, an IEM's personal (not resale) value goes up the more you use it and enjoy it. That said, Traillii is probably akin to a luxury car like a Rolls Royce or Bentley, which often go up in value over time, which probably isn't going to be the case with Traillii (sadly for current owners, great for future owners).

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #5,715 of 8,024
I just clicked on their (Musicteck) Black Friday sales link and I see the same $4k offer for Traillii and Mason FS, but it says limited to only 5 units, so I assume they are not going to sell more than 5 units at that price. It's almost like some retailers doing Black Friday early morning crazy deals for a few big screen TVs or some video game consoles, limiting to only a few units sold at a cost.
Agree. I used to work for one of the subsidiaries of Alibaba. These are banner sale items to drive traffic. And hope that when people come in, they’d pick up other stuff which are less radically discounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back