Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #4,111 of 8,038
Very fortunate that the Audio Tiers tour timing worked out in my favor. The Thummim/Homonculus kit AND the Erlkonig kit happened to show up at my door at the same time!

Looking forward to comparing all three to the Traillii this weekend!

Attachments

• 1BBDE883-B08F-4389-B561-82D2E54871F8.jpeg
    1BBDE883-B08F-4389-B561-82D2E54871F8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #4,112 of 8,038
Okay, so I've spent 30 minutes rapidly swapping from Thummim to Homonculus to Erlkonig to Traillii. Zero comment on how they sound at this point, but one thing is for sure: the Traillii fits my ears REALLY well.

The Traillii is super light in comparison (not a surprise given the materials used).

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #4,113 of 8,038
I’m concerned with who my bird is hanging out with. What would their offspring sound like???

Attachments

• 34A2884C-B10C-4D06-98C5-6E87EA01CDF0.jpeg
    34A2884C-B10C-4D06-98C5-6E87EA01CDF0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 12, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #4,114 of 8,038
Been doing quite a bit of listening recently. In an interesting turn, I decided to try the stock tips again. And, as someone else mentioned a few weeks back, the vacuum auction somehow miraculously disappeared. And while it doesn’t have quite the bass heft of my go-to Sedna, I do prefer the overall tonality of stock. Just more balanced across the spectrum. Bass very articulate, vocals sweeter, stage a little more open. I also find them incredibly comfy.

I'm currently listening to the new Billie Eilish album with the bird and the N6ii Ti. Not my usual genre, but wow

Agree - terrific album. Thoroughly enjoyable and a lot of artistry. My favorite tracks being Billie Bosa Nova and Hailey’s Comet. I was not a fan of her previous album but loved the one before that, “Don’t smile at me”. My fave there probably being idontwannabeyouanymore.
Absolutely, the recording quality is so good that this is enjoyable for any audiophile
This is the one area I slightly disagree. Well maybe it’s a case of mastering style rather than recording quality. Have had several interesting chats with @gLer about this. I personally am not a fan of two aspects - the one is the sub bass being everywhere and often, to my ears overpowering. They can drown out some of the hidden detail in the mids and highs, irrespective of transducer (though this is where the stock tips helps a little). The second is the use of distortion - this is trademark Billie (well, Finneas). Like tape hiss and vinyl pops, I don’t enjoy the use of distortion effects that much, and it’s interspersed quite liberally across her material.
Btw, did anyone ever try some graphene cables? I'm getting some samples right now and am interested in experiences.
I tried some GPC. Refined, a little reserved. Think it worked better with other, inherently more energetic IEMs. The bird benefits greatly from the dynamics of the 60s 4W at both ends.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #4,115 of 8,038
Been doing quite a bit of listening recently. In an interesting turn, I decided to try the stock tips again. And, as someone else mentioned a few weeks back, the vacuum auction somehow miraculously disappeared. And while it doesn’t have quite the bass heft of my go-to Sedna, I do prefer the overall tonality of stock. Just more balanced across the spectrum. Bass very articulate, vocals sweeter, stage a little more open. I also find them incredibly comfy.

I tried some GPC. Refined, a little reserved. Think it worked better with other, inherently more energetic IEMs. The bird benefits greatly from the dynamics of the 60s 4W at both ends.

Similar to my experience. With the Azla Sednaearfit Light, the bass is definitely stronger. But the stock ear tips seems to be more balanced. Surprisingly, no dreaded vacuum suction for me. Frankly, I was surprised how well the Traillii fit. How stable and secure it was and how effortlessly it slipped into my ears.

Yes, the stock cable makes the price slightly more rational. Most stock cable are a compromise or an afterthought. How many are of this quality or tuned for synergy?

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #4,116 of 8,038
I'm currently listening to the new Billie Eilish album with the bird and the N6ii Ti. Not my usual genre, but wow... The transition from the first to the second song... Jaw dropping. And the sub bass... I'd swear there's a dynamic driver in there... Awesome listening experience! :)
Yep, album if the year so far for me. The last 4-5 tracks I can listen to in repeat all day, especially the crescendo of 'Happier Than Ever' - and not because I like that heavy distorted style but because it's a perfect emotional release in the context of the album as a whole. Brilliant pacing, timing, everything. And I still think you need a real DD (better yet two) to really bring the best out of the sub bass here.
This is the one area I slightly disagree. Well maybe it’s a case of mastering style rather than recording quality. Have had several interesting chats with @gLer about this. I personally am not a fan of two aspects - the one is the sub bass being everywhere and often, to my ears overpowering. They can drown out some of the hidden detail in the mids and highs, irrespective of transducer (though this is where the stock tips helps a little). The second is the use of distortion - this is trademark Billie (well, Finneas). Like tape hiss and vinyl pops, I don’t enjoy the use of distortion effects that much, and it’s interspersed quite liberally across her material.
We'll continue to agree to disagree on this one 😁 I think every sound, every effect and every boom has been done with purpose to perfection. Helps that my starting point is the bass, and in this case I don't feel the bass leaves anything else lacking. It's the star of the show on many of the tracks and that's just how I like it, but it also takes a back seat when not called on. For me the complement of that warm rumble and Billie's crystal sweet yet vulnerable vocals is an almost ideal combination for my personal music tastes.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #4,118 of 8,038
I haven’t considered listening to Billie’s music till today. Although not in my regular music repertoire, I bought her latest album and look forward to taking my time to enjoy her lovely vocals with Traillii. As some would know, I’m not fond of mids and treble being too focused, so IEMs that shine in these areas (kudos to their technical prowess) are not my cup of tea. That said, Traillii is superb when I want to hear more details in mids and treble. I was kind of curious about the recent Elysian releases, but think I’ll stick with the Bird.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #4,119 of 8,038
Received the Effect Audio Centurion.

Nice box to store the cable, I like it a lot.
When it comes to the Display Stand, my fear is confirmed, I used it one time and will probably no more use it for the bird. Too much effort to put it in or out. Moreover, easy to damage the connector if you make a mistake. No thanks. I will use it with a set I don't listen to often.
But... it looks good.

Regarding the cable, similar to an Horus Octa, slimmer than a Janus D. Very soft and flexible.

Sound wise... I will disappoint you but I don't feel qualified to make any review with a lot of adjectives. It sounds very similar to the Janus D with the Bird.
Trebles maybe more present than with the Code51/Janus D or the Stock cable.
That's all I could catch.

Overall, excellent quality, presentation. Is it the new partner of the Bird? yes. I used to pair the bird with the Janus D that I found better than the Code51 for this set.
I had major issues with Microphonic on the Stock cable, I have a clear preference for Effect Audio, so there is a bias here.

Pictures later when I get some sun here!

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #4,120 of 8,038

Agree - terrific album. Thoroughly enjoyable and a lot of artistry. My favorite tracks being Billie Bosa Nova and Hailey’s Comet. I was not a fan of her previous album but loved the one before that, “Don’t smile at me”. My fave there probably being idontwannabeyouanymore.

GPC? Aren't those solar cables? I can't wait for mine to arrive, UPS is so slow here currently, ahhhhh

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #4,122 of 8,038
G

GPC as in Graphene plated copper ☺️
Ahh alright! I guess it depends on the graphenes thickness, single layer might not be enough to get the clarity improvement. Where did you get yours? :D The wires I ordered are graphene plated silver plated copper, I can't imagine how that crazy combination will be like

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #4,123 of 8,038
Received the Effect Audio Centurion.

Nice box to store the cable, I like it a lot.
When it comes to the Display Stand, my fear is confirmed, I used it one time and will probably no more use it for the bird. Too much effort to put it in or out. Moreover, easy to damage the connector if you make a mistake. No thanks. I will use it with a set I don't listen to often.
But... it looks good.

Regarding the cable, similar to an Horus Octa, slimmer than a Janus D. Very soft and flexible.

Sound wise... I will disappoint you but I don't feel qualified to make any review with a lot of adjectives. It sounds very similar to the Janus D with the Bird.
Trebles maybe more present than with the Code51/Janus D or the Stock cable.
That's all I could catch.

Overall, excellent quality, presentation. Is it the new partner of the Bird? yes. I used to pair the bird with the Janus D that I found better than the Code51 for this set.
I had major issues with Microphonic on the Stock cable, I have a clear preference for Effect Audio, so there is a bias here.

Pictures later when I get some sun here!

Exactly how I feel about the display stand of Centurion, and how I described it in my review. It looks and feels great, and I appreciate how much design work went into it. But it's a bit too much effort to wind and unwind it. And if you have a favorite iem, you want to have a fast access to get it in and out.

The Bird is with Centurion in its case now (my favorite pair up at the moment), and I already mentioned to SY that I wish this case would go into the display stand spool opening, slide the door open, drop the cable in, and showcase the Bird on display hooks.

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #4,124 of 8,038
66B3B3B0-851D-4677-B1CB-4DD7965B772F.jpeg

AA563301-8AFB-4097-95E6-B8074486186E.jpeg

:upside_down:

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #4,125 of 8,038
The bird behaves very well when paired with overkill Headphones amp (Niimbus US5pro). No hiss, quite punchy, very detailed.
I still need to give it more time but enjoying the first listening session.
DSC04536.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back