Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #376 of 8,019
I agree. There are so many flavors of Jazz and Classical music that you can do almost anything with it from a listening perspective. I was a Jazz musician when I was younger. To be good at it, you have to listen to a lot of music to learn what good music is supposed to sound like. We had to take solos from our favorite Jazz artists and transcribe them onto sheet music. Then, we were required to sing anything before we played it so that we could get the proper articulation of every lick and to properly frame the music in our head so that we could use the music to communicate emotion rather than just technically playing notes. It's the difference between sounding "square" and boring vs. swinging and exciting. And, we would spend weeks at time just sight reading music. Jazz isn't about perfect execution of notes (although with time you get there), but more about playing musically and communicating emotion and surprising with misdirection. Then, every week, we had to do the pattern of the week in all 12 keys because the key to a jazz solo is to give people just enough of what they expect to touch upon their familiarity with a chart, and then give them something they don't expect. Patterns are the key to that. You need to be able to play any series of patterns in any key at any time. And, with Big Band Jazz in particular, you need to spend as much time listening to the other instruments for pitch and balance. When I was young, I didn't know how to tell if I were in tune. My director said, just listen and when you are in tune, the chord lights up and you can't miss it. Guess what, It works! All of that training has translated directly into my audiophile listening experience for tuning my system to my own preferences. So, when people say that they want headphones that are more musical, I don't relate to those words because the artist is creating the emotional connection with their music. I prefer a reference and neutral sound because that gives the best version of what the artist intended to communicate to us.

Wow, @HiFiHawaii808, I'm very impressed by your jazz career.
I have studied piano at the music college and during this period I had to focus on classical music only, from baroque, classic and romantic period tp late romantic/Impressionism. I was not allowed to go into jazz. But, I was always inspired by improvisation, which takes place in the "Kadenz" in a classic piano concert. And the jazz is all about improvisation, right?. Therefore, I can follow and imagine what you've described above. half a decade later,
I have discovered jazz when an elder colleague was always talking about. So, I started with kind of blue, which is still my favored album.

I absolutely agree with your last sentence. Reference and neutral sound is what I'm seeking for, too.

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #377 of 8,019
If you have not heard Jazz In The New Harmonic David Chesky Binaural recording yet. The space that the bird pulls off is astounding on that, riding the cymbals is a big part of the atmosphere on this and the EStats really shine as well. Not funky Jazz though.
Hiya,
I started to listen to listen to THIS CD (most left) and found that i have 2 more with him on my server). And will listen to them too. Very useful is that they were provided by a friend and are in High-Res FLAC.
It's superb Jazz - not for everbodie's ears but I absolutely like it - thanks for directing me to this musician. It's a pleasure to enjoy the bird with such great musicians.
In that case you really may like to try Meilssa Aldana and her Album Visions.

I know in this Forum there is only or mostly talk about HardWare (and prices evidently) but it seems to me not a bad idea to also share some music taste. I always like to learn more about new, young musicians or groups that are less known and less famous but produce excellent albums... which then let me enjoy it at home.

Folder.jpg
Folder.jpg
Folder.jpg

Folder.jpg

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #378 of 8,019
@toaster was kidding.

I get that you are excited and I am thrilled that you love the Traillii so much. That being said, you do not need to respond to every post that might contain criticism of the Traillii. This is why the folks on the other thread got upset. And some posters are “trolls” that just like to be negative and upset the thread. And although I sometimes respond myself, it is probably best practice to let them have their post and not acknowledge it. They will then go bother another thread.

Anyway, I am not the moderator and just wanted to make a couple of suggestions. All my best and please keep enjoying the Traillii!
You are right. It's not so important what some people say. In the end the thing that counts is the own experience and read those reviews that add some value - and most of them are interesting to read.

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #379 of 8,019
Yes, you are in a "safe space" here sharing your love for Traillii, that's why this thread was created and, as others pointed out, @toaster was just being sarcastic responding to another head-fier in this thread. Toaster is one of the original Traillii buyers and considers Traillii in the hand worth half a dozen of other TOTL in the bush :D

And, the next time you are in US, make sure to visit Las Vegas where I perform on the weekends, just let me know ahead of time so I can send you free tickets!

...that was my smart-arse sarcasm :wink:
funny - thanks !

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #380 of 8,019
An even better version of Caravan on Milt Jackson’s the Ellington Album, this one tops them all.
those are all very interesting suggestions which I highly appreciate and will give it some search and of course LISTENING.
May I take the opportunity (as I am same age group - around 60) to name a few musicians that I think are also very good and maybe less known:
Ahmad Jamal Trio (Blue Moon), Cindy Blackman (spouse of Carlos Santana and excellent percussionist, Album called Someday), Herve Sellin Sextet Branford Marsalis, James Carter (Caribbean Rhapsody), Joshua Redman (Beyond).
Well that are only some of the bands that I came across and start now re-listening with the Traillii. You're welcome to make comments ...

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #381 of 8,019
Wow, @HiFiHawaii808, I'm very impressed by your jazz career.
I have studied piano at the music college and during this period I had to focus on classical music only, from baroque, classic and romantic period tp late romantic/Impressionism. I was not allowed to go into jazz. But, I was always inspired by improvisation, which takes place in the "Kadenz" in a classic piano concert. And the jazz is all about improvisation, right?. Therefore, I can follow and imagine what you've described above. half a decade later,
I have discovered jazz when an elder colleague was always talking about. So, I started with kind of blue, which is still my favored album.

I absolutely agree with your last sentence. Reference and neutral sound is what I'm seeking for, too.
It's actually interesting that most electronic engineers or computer engineers (a tribe i belonged to) like Classical Music AND Jazz. Maybe it is because of the patterns as it was mentioned. Mathematics is the language of science but when listening to J.S. Bach for example - it has a mathematical beauty to it that resonates with people like us. With Jazz on the other hand - it is this free spirit interaction that is soo fascinating -and musicians who can interact instantaneously and "on the fly" and create new music on the spot - that is almost magic. Very interesting dialog here.

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #382 of 8,019
Interesting discussion indeed. I work in the technology risk space, and tend to have a pretty technical / mathematical brain but also a strong creative side. I have to admit I never gelled with improvised jazz. I do like light female vocal jazz, but struggle with what I describe as a trio or quartet of instrumentalists where each is playing a different song. As with all music, there is no right and wrong, just personal preferences.

I suppose I need some defined rhythm, a pace, a melody, or something more harmonious - whether it's Hilary Hahn playing violin with an orchestral backing, Meiko singing solo with just a ukulele in hand, Rilo Kiley with her indie rock band, or Pantera.

On the notion of the math behind the music, there was a very interesting album (or some may call it a social experiment) - where an AI algorithm was "trained" on classical masterpieces and then put to the task of creating its own. My understanding is that the vast majority of people that were asked if it could have been created by a computer said it was impossible.

The album was called Classical Music Composed by Computer: Experiments in Musical Intelligence by David Cope.

1615898206911.png

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #383 of 8,019
Interesting discussion indeed. I work in the technology risk space, and tend to have a pretty technical / mathematical brain but also a strong creative side. I have to admit I never gelled with improvised jazz. I do like light female vocal jazz, but struggle with what I describe as a trio or quartet of instrumentalists where each is playing a different song. As with all music, there is no right and wrong, just personal preferences.

I suppose I need some defined rhythm, a pace, a melody, or something more harmonious - whether it's Hilary Hahn playing violin with an orchestral backing, Meiko singing solo with just a ukulele in hand, Rilo Kiley with her indie rock band, or Pantera.

On the notion of the math behind the music, there was a very interesting album (or some may call it a social experiment) - where an AI algorithm was "trained" on classical masterpieces and then put to the task of creating its own. My understanding is that the vast majority of people that were asked if it could have been created by a computer said it was impossible.

The album was called Classical Music Composed by Computer: Experiments in Musical Intelligence by David Cope.

1615898206911.png
Interesting I am a little different as I am an Artist and Designer first and an engineer second, I am the guy that comes to the real engineers with the impossible to solve problem that ends up being solved. For me it is the interplay and the story, not the verbal story like rap or country music, the non verbal story like Jazz and Classical - my theory is that for me it is about the non verbal language that is created, a chosen or felt limit of elements that form the language of the piece. When this happens the heavens open up in my mind.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #384 of 8,019
Mar 16, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #385 of 8,019
Different cable, maybe?
Possible, though have my doubts as that PW is tuned (I believe) to the Traillii. Suspect it would be more to do with the packaging and tips based on feedback to date, and to bring it in line with expectations for a flagship / TOTL offering.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #386 of 8,019
Mar 16, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #387 of 8,019
Hiya,
I started to listen to listen to THIS CD (most left) and found that i have 2 more with him on my server). And will listen to them too. Very useful is that they were provided by a friend and are in High-Res FLAC.
It's superb Jazz - not for everbodie's ears but I absolutely like it - thanks for directing me to this musician. It's a pleasure to enjoy the bird with such great musicians.
In that case you really may like to try Meilssa Aldana and her Album Visions.

I know in this Forum there is only or mostly talk about HardWare (and prices evidently) but it seems to me not a bad idea to also share some music taste. I always like to learn more about new, young musicians or groups that are less known and less famous but produce excellent albums... which then let me enjoy it at home.

Folder.jpgFolder.jpgFolder.jpg
Folder.jpg
I liked Melissa thanks for the suggestion and the body acoustic.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #388 of 8,019
some personal recommendations:
With respect to saxophone jazz, I cannot recommend highly enough the albums of John Coltrane:
Blue Train, Love Supreme, Lush life …

Secondly Wayne Shorter

Some really special findings:…
Joe Lovano: I’m all for you (ballad songbook)
Oliver Nelson: The blues and the abstract truth
Nérija: Blume
Raphael Imkert: Les 1001 nuits du jazz-live au Bal Blome

with regard to trumpet jazz:
my personal all-time favorite is (as my icon already indicates) Miles.

and besides many others Roy Hargrove, whom I’ve met in person in 1998, the year he died on 2nd of November in NY.

just some ideas that occurred to me ........
Okay just ordered your suggestions after previewing: Joe through Nerija could not find the Raphael on CD. I am old school buy the hard copy and burn it. Waste of time nowadays, but remember when we used to open the double folded cardboard, carefully remove the vinyl, get out the felt pad and wipe it, place it on the turntable, the smells. People are doing this now with Vinyl, I got so used to CDs that I abandoned Vinyl many decades ago. Thank you for the suggestions after I listen to them over a few weeks I will love them I think.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #389 of 8,019
Okay just ordered your suggestions after previewing: Joe through Nerija could not find the Raphael on CD. I am old school buy the hard copy and burn it. Waste of time nowadays, but remember when we used to open the double folded cardboard, carefully remove the vinyl, get out the felt pad and wipe it, place it on the turntable, the smells. People are doing this now with Vinyl, I got so used to CDs that I abandoned Vinyl many decades ago. Thank you for the suggestions after I listen to them over a few weeks I will love them I think.
I hope so. :relaxed:
Currently, I try so find modern jazz and contemporary classic (often more than abstract or modal) albums that arise my interest. But, I was not familiar with the Chesky Records publications. I guess, the reason is Qobuz streaming, which I normally trust in, does not include chesky records.
I appreciate these recommendations so much!
I had implemented the change from cd to download on HDs (or SSD) quite early, since my eyes are my week point and browsing through meters of CDs became more difficult to me, a practical consideration.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #390 of 8,019

Oh, I see,
this Raphael Imkert is a Raphael Imbert. I you have difficulties in finding his album, I can have a look, where I've downloaded it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back