Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #346 of 8,019
I know some people hated the argument that “you need to add x to better bring out the potential of y”, but I have to mention that the little bird could indeed benefit so much from adding C9 to my audio chain.

I tried the little bird with N6ii (E02), a mid-tier DAP in today’s standard. The performance was OK, but nowhere near the performance of my Diana V2 or VC. I then added C9 to my chain and the difference was day and night. I would actually prefer the little bird to V2/VC for some tracks.

All I want to say is, the little bird is an IEM with huge potential. The better you are able to feed it, the more beautifully it will sing.
Would the same be true for a higher level DAP I am imaging yes but not as much? P6P or M8 in my case. I was considering the C9 and have been following that thread. I tried the NuTubes in the recent DAPs that included them and did not like it much, C9 may have implemented better. So really curious for more information on Traillii and C9 synergy, both NuTube class A and SS class A/B.

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #347 of 8,019
Gosh - what a mistake... of course he is a trumpet player !!!! I read to many messages about pricing - sorry.... Thank you for correcting my terrible mistake.
If you have not heard Jazz In The New Harmonic David Chesky Binaural recording yet. The space that the bird pulls off is astounding on that, riding the cymbals is a big part of the atmosphere on this and the EStats really shine as well. Not funky Jazz though.

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #348 of 8,019
Would the same be true for a higher level DAP I am imaging yes but not as much? P6P or M8 in my case. I was considering the C9 and have been following that thread. I tried the NuTubes in the recent DAPs that included them and did not like it much, C9 may have implemented better. So really curious for more information on Traillii and C9 synergy, both NuTube class A and SS class A/B.
I have enjoyed Tube Class A with the Traillii the most as I find it further extends the little bird’s advantage in mids’ textures without sacrificing the overall clarity. SS Class A/B may have the same effect, but I did not spend much time with it as I find this combo to be too smooth with other IEMs; it could turn out to be good with the Traillii as well. Overall, I enjoy pairing a smoothing sounding source with the little bird, and find C9 to be such a source.

For the improvement C9 brings to better DAPs, you are certainly right that it is not as dramatic as what it brings to a mid-tier DAP. The situation for me in my audition of P6 Pro was I always preferred P6 Pro + C9 over P6 Pro alone, regardless of the track I selected or the part of music I paid attention to. So it is still a very noticeable improvement.

Funny enough, I also strictly preferred N6ii + C9 over P6 Pro alone, which made me hesitate the purchase of P6 Pro.

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #349 of 8,019
Haha, I have seen very similar discussions when the Susvara was released. Luckily I auditioned the Sus, within minutes I was blown away and knew I needed to get one.

Auditioning the T is very cumbersome if you live in the Netherlands, so I went out on a limb and ordered the T. Good to see the same discussions here: to me that is a good omen 😂

The amazing Mest showed me how engaging IEMs can sound and have a spacious 3d soundstage. Hoping for the same with the T, but expecting better resolution in the mids (the Mest 'weak' point IMHO)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #350 of 8,019
If you have not heard Jazz In The New Harmonic David Chesky Binaural recording yet. The space that the bird pulls off is astounding on that, riding the cymbals is a big part of the atmosphere on this and the EStats really shine as well. Not funky Jazz though.
Hi RTodd - I check on my music server and by chance found that album in my collection - never listened to it ! So I will do that, today. One other of my favorites is Jaco Pastorius... but I don't know how well known he is.
for Sax I found one musician that is fascinating (although a bit difficult to listen to). That is Melissa Aldana - her mastering of this instrument is simply sensational - if one likes Saxophone of course...

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #351 of 8,019
Ah,
Is that where you live ?

AK-TF- 2021-03-15_2909.jpg

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #352 of 8,019
well buy this one instead then - this is a true rip off. Why ? Because they sell you the amount of armatures inside but there is NO whatsoever review about them.

I honestly can not understand how you went from loving the bird to thinking it is pure trash - there is no connection between those two statements. You can sell a 15.000 Euro Rolex for 2000 in a second hand forum - but what does that proof ? Seriously i don't understand, but never mind - everybody does what he wants.

AK-TF- 2021-03-15_2907.jpg
@toaster was kidding.

I get that you are excited and I am thrilled that you love the Traillii so much. That being said, you do not need to respond to every post that might contain criticism of the Traillii. This is why the folks on the other thread got upset. And some posters are “trolls” that just like to be negative and upset the thread. And although I sometimes respond myself, it is probably best practice to let them have their post and not acknowledge it. They will then go bother another thread.

Anyway, I am not the moderator and just wanted to make a couple of suggestions. All my best and please keep enjoying the Traillii!

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #353 of 8,019
Thanks. Do you recommend the hidef version or other? Tks.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #354 of 8,019
@toaster was kidding.

I get that you are excited and I am thrilled that you love the Traillii so much. That being said, you do not need to respond to every post that might contain criticism of the Traillii. This is why the folks on the other thread got upset. And some posters are “trolls” that just like to be negative and upset the thread. And although I sometimes respond myself, it is probably best practice to let them have their post and not acknowledge it. They will then go bother another thread.

Anyway, I am not the moderator and just wanted to make a couple of suggestions. All my best and please keep enjoying the Traillii!
+1

well buy this one instead then - this is a true rip off. Why ? Because they sell you the amount of armatures inside but there is NO whatsoever review about them.

I honestly can not understand how you went from loving the bird to thinking it is pure trash - there is no connection between those two statements. You can sell a 15.000 Euro Rolex for 2000 in a second hand forum - but what does that proof ? Seriously i don't understand, but never mind - everybody does what he wants.

@toaster was being sarcastic! It also helps to just quote all the comments you want to reply to so it helps keep the thread more streamlined (just like I did above). You can do this by pressing quote on multiple sections and then just input them into your one post.

But yes as Frankie said, trolls feed off reactions so best to just ignore it. They'll get bored and eventually go to the next most expensive IEM on their list 😂. Not a moderator either, but let's perhaps keep it focused on more music recommendations, best synergies, comparisons to other TOTLs, etc.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #355 of 8,019
Hi RTodd - I check on my music server and by chance found that album in my collection - never listened to it ! So I will do that, today. One other of my favorites is Jaco Pastorius... but I don't know how well known he is.
for Sax I found one musician that is fascinating (although a bit difficult to listen to). That is Melissa Aldana - her mastering of this instrument is simply sensational - if one likes Saxophone of course...
I agree about Jaco, Pat Metheny Bright Size Life is a great example of Jaco’s contribution to the art form. And his self titled classic. So many great Jazz recordings. Check out Ed Chery Quartet the Spirit Speaks quite like that one. On horn I have a soft spot for Freddie Hubbard among others. Never heard Melissa I will check that out.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #356 of 8,019
Thanks. Do you recommend the hidef version or other? Tks.
I just have FLAC, honestly I cannot hear the difference on the high def advantage, blind testing I almost always cannot tell. 57 years old so not the freshest ears maybe that is why.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #357 of 8,019
Ah,
Is that where you live ?

AK-TF- 2021-03-15_2909.jpg

Yes, you are in a "safe space" here sharing your love for Traillii, that's why this thread was created and, as others pointed out, @toaster was just being sarcastic responding to another head-fier in this thread. Toaster is one of the original Traillii buyers and considers Traillii in the hand worth half a dozen of other TOTL in the bush :D

And, the next time you are in US, make sure to visit Las Vegas where I perform on the weekends, just let me know ahead of time so I can send you free tickets!

...that was my smart-arse sarcasm :wink:

Mar 15, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #358 of 8,019
for Sax I found one musician that is fascinating (although a bit difficult to listen to). That is Melissa Aldana - her mastering of this instrument is simply sensational - if one likes Saxophone of course..

some personal recommendations:
With respect to saxophone jazz, I cannot recommend highly enough the albums of John Coltrane:
Blue Train, Love Supreme, Lush life …

Secondly Wayne Shorter

Some really special findings:…
Joe Lovano: I’m all for you (ballad songbook)
Oliver Nelson: The blues and the abstract truth
Nérija: Blume
Raphael Imkert: Les 1001 nuits du jazz-live au Bal Blome

with regard to trumpet jazz:
my personal all-time favorite is (as my icon already indicates) Miles.

and besides many others Roy Hargrove, whom I’ve met in person in 1998, the year he died on 2nd of November in NY.

just some ideas that occurred to me ........

Mar 15, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #359 of 8,019
some personal recommendations:
With respect to saxophone jazz, I cannot recommend highly enough the albums of John Coltrane:
Blue Train, Love Supreme, Lush life …

Secondly Wayne Shorter

Some really special findings:…
Joe Lovano: I’m all for you (ballad songbook)
Oliver Nelson: The blues and the abstract truth
Nérija: Blume
Raphael Imkert: Les 1001 nuits du jazz-live au Bal Blome

with regard to trumpet jazz:
my personal all-time favorite is (as my icon already indicates) Miles.

and besides many others Roy Hargrove, whom I’ve met in person in 1998, the year he died on 2nd of November in NY.

just some ideas that occurred to me ........
Jealous you met Roy. Very familiar with everything you suggested, been a Jazz fan since I was 15. There are some amazing younger performers, the genre thankfully is thriving. With Chick’s passing and Joe Pass last year we need that young talent more than ever. I usually tell people who ask me where do I start, Kind Of Blue, than listen thru the career of everyone that played on that epic work, at the end of that you will be well versed in the foundations of this great genre. We could go back further and listen to the bird on the bird but not easy to find good quality recordings before the late 1950s.

Mar 15, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #360 of 8,019
Jealous you met Roy. Very familiar with everything you suggested, been a Jazz fan since I was 15. There are some amazing younger performers, the genre thankfully is thriving. With Chick’s passing and Joe Pass last year we need that young talent more than ever. I usually tell people who ask me where do I start, Kind Of Blue, than listen thru the career of everyone that played on that epic work, at the end of that you will be well versed in the foundations of this great genre. We could go back further and listen to the bird on the bird but not easy to find good quality recordings before the late 1950s.
Here is a track, one of my favorites.
Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass, RayBrown, album Big Three, Caravan - may be my favorite version of this Ellington classic. Sounds incredible on the Bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back