Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Mar 14, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #332 of 8,019
That is why I was asking you about the Sus. If the Susvara sounds far superior to the Traillii on the track I mentioned, then no it would not be wise to get it. A few variables though, I am using the Empyreans out of my N8 which also powers my Traillii. So if the Empy can scale much higher, then that could make a great difference.

I have also not done anything to improve the Empy’s stock cable which is recommended. This is a potential future upgrade.

Now I was only speaking about this one track. Overall the Empy is probably still superior. It is characterized by a very strong and powerful bass with somewhat smooth mids and treble that remain very detailed.

Equipment:
Bakoon AMP13R, class A solid state (2 hours warm), SMSL SU8, Susvara
Cayin C9 (Class A, Solid State mode), ifi ZEN DAC Signature, Traillii

I listened to Susvara for about 15 minutes, scrubbing through the song.
After the first note on Traillii, the difference was evident. I spent about ten minutes scrubbing through the song.

The bird and Susvara are similar enough, until the bass kicks in. There simply isn't enough slam or ear drum reverb compared to what Traillii offered. Hands down I prefer the Traillii. Perhaps IEM vs headphone acoustics here. The estat sounds sharp compared to the planar, but both have nearly identical resolution perhaps I give the edge to Traillii? This is very early days but in this particular instance, the winner is clear.

Bird soars past to first.

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #333 of 8,019
Equipment:
Bakoon AMP13R, class A solid state (2 hours warm), SMSL SU8, Susvara
Cayin C9 (Class A, Solid State mode), ifi ZEN DAC Signature, Traillii

I listened to Susvara for about 15 minutes, scrubbing through the song.
After the first note on Traillii, the difference was evident. I spent about ten minutes scrubbing through the song.

The bird and Susvara are similar enough, until the bass kicks in. There simply isn't enough slam or ear drum reverb compared to what Traillii offered. Hands down I prefer the Traillii. Perhaps IEM vs headphone acoustics here. The estat sounds sharp compared to the planar, but both have nearly identical resolution perhaps I give the edge to Traillii? This is very early days but in this particular instance, the winner is clear.

Bird soars past to first.
Wow! This was an unexpected result. Thank you for the comparison and explanation. I am surprised the Susvara cannot match the slam given its size. The Empyreans can produce even more slam, though they can be a touch warmer which is why I preferred the Traillii as well on this track. Tks.

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #334 of 8,019
Wow! This was an unexpected result. Thank you for the comparison and explanation. I am surprised the Susvara cannot match the slam given its size. The Empyreans can produce even more slam, though they can be a touch warmer which is why I preferred the Traillii as well on this track. Tks.

I love my bass, but I would never buy a Susvara for EDM. I bought it for Jazz/Classical/Acoustic.

I am now listening Will We Remain on MDRZ1R, I prefer the Z1R to Traillii. The sharpness is gone, bass has more slam. More enjoyable.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #335 of 8,019
I know some people hated the argument that “you need to add x to better bring out the potential of y”, but I have to mention that the little bird could indeed benefit so much from adding C9 to my audio chain.

I tried the little bird with N6ii (E02), a mid-tier DAP in today’s standard. The performance was OK, but nowhere near the performance of my Diana V2 or VC. I then added C9 to my chain and the difference was day and night. I would actually prefer the little bird to V2/VC for some tracks.

All I want to say is, the little bird is an IEM with huge potential. The better you are able to feed it, the more beautifully it will sing.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #336 of 8,019
I know some people hated the argument that “you need to add x to better bring out the potential of y”, but I have to mention that the little bird could indeed benefit so much from adding C9 to my audio chain.

I tried the little bird with N6ii (E02), a mid-tier DAP in today’s standard. The performance was OK, but nowhere near the performance of my Diana V2 or VC. I then added C9 to my chain and the difference was day and night. I would actually prefer the little bird to V2/VC for some tracks.

All I want to say is, the little bird is an IEM with huge potential. The better you are able to feed it, the more beautifully it will sing.

I am ordering my bird soon.
How's the bird with Hugo2?
big gap compare to C9?

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #337 of 8,019
I am ordering my bird soon.
How's the bird with Hugo2?
big gap compare to C9?
I didn’t try it with my Hugo 2 because I don’t have a 4.4 to 3.5 adapter... Based off my experience for the comparison between C9 and Hugo 2, they are both really good and with different sound signatures. Because I have such a good time with the pairing of C9 + Traillii, I would just give my vote to it “blindly”.

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #338 of 8,019
I feel you, and I see the concern with the new benchmark for TOTL. But as anyone who has actually listened to the IEM, the cost starts to seem more appropriate-priced when you compare it to other summit-fi IEMs that are near in price, factoring in cable etc.

Man, I swear all negative connotations (not talking about you but in general) come from people who have NOT heard the bird. Not a single person I know that’s heard it hasn’t agreed the sound seems to be on another tier. So discussions of perceived value are getting a bit tiring lol.

I'd love for you and others to be able to demo it and let us know if that shifts the 1 ultra TOTL VS mid-fi great value IEMs for same combined price. I was more of the latter, but like @aaf evo, its "ruined" many of the other IEMs for me sadly. If money was no obstacle and I had to have just one, it'd definitely be Traillii.

Yes there are great value IEMs but if you’re looking for pure “maximized” IEM SQ, and enjoy the bird's tonality (why are we comparing headphones), I can’t imagine Traillii will disappoint. That's all.

+1 for EDM. In fact, I don't know any genres that I tested where it seemed to fall short, including metal, alternative, indie, rock-it's really a jack-of-all-trades but in a very high level. I just pair it with a warmer source if I want a bit more warmth for genres like rock.
I am sure all of you have preferred music - for those of you in Canada (but not at all limited to) - I listened yesterday to one of my favourite Jazz Saxophonists (a bit funky) and I was blown away how the Traillii is capable to retract all subtle musical finesse that can be found in the melodic arrangements. For those of you interested - he is called Rick Braun and some albums are called Full Stride, Esperanto or Body and Soul just to name a few.
Traillii particularly impresses me when it comes to multi instruments arrangements. Especially instruments that are not very powerful (hence often overheard) are clearly presented - and even better - can be acoustically exactly located.
Every minute since I have the Traillii I enjoyed listening to it - that gives so much pleasure. If any other IEM can top that in the future so shall it be - but for me this is all I ever have needed in terms of performance, power, ease to use and pure enjoyment.:ksc75smile:

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #339 of 8,019
I am sure all of you have preferred music - for those of you in Canada (but not at all limited to) - I listened yesterday to one of my favourite Jazz Saxophonists (a bit funky) and I was blown away how the Traillii is capable to retract all subtle musical finesse that can be found in the melodic arrangements. For those of you interested - he is called Rick Braun and some albums are called Full Stride, Esperanto or Body and Soul just to name a few.
Traillii particularly impresses me when it comes to multi instruments arrangements. Especially instruments that are not very powerful (hence often overheard) are clearly presented - and even better - can be acoustically exactly located.
Every minute since I have the Traillii I enjoyed listening to it - that gives so much pleasure. If any other IEM can top that in the future so shall it be - but for me this is all I ever have needed in terms of performance, power, ease to use and pure enjoyment.:ksc75smile:

thanks for these interesting recommendations.

I thought of Rick Brown as a trumpet player. But maybe I'm wrong.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #342 of 8,019
Hey Guys,

The more I listen to the traillii, the more it impresses me. All my friends whom I speak with that also purchased the traillii feel pretty much the same way.

However, despite how great the traillii sounds to me, and despite the fact I feel it was worth it to me to spend my own hard-earned money on it, and despite the fact that it's one of the best purchases I feel I've made in audio...or ever...despite all of that...I just had an unexpected and sudden epiphany.

I just have this nagging feeling that the traillii is a ripoff; not at all worth it. All of my own thinking, listening, and my decision to buy it almost instantly...it was all for naught.

Traillii is just pure trash...one sad bird.

I've posted my Traillii up in the classifieds for $1,500, since people who haven't heard it before say it's a fair price. Sure, I could have posted for $2,000, but no need to push it.

@PortableAudioLover - Your clarvoyance is startling :grinning:
well buy this one instead then - this is a true rip off. Why ? Because they sell you the amount of armatures inside but there is NO whatsoever review about them.

I honestly can not understand how you went from loving the bird to thinking it is pure trash - there is no connection between those two statements. You can sell a 15.000 Euro Rolex for 2000 in a second hand forum - but what does that proof ? Seriously i don't understand, but never mind - everybody does what he wants.

AK-TF- 2021-03-15_2907.jpg

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #344 of 8,019
I just want to confirm that the Traillii grows with the feeder sound quality - so it is a good way also to check your entire sound chain. If the source (flac files or whatever) is crap - it sounds crap, if your DAC or your music player is mediocre - your result is going to be the same. If you use good recording, good DAC (Like Luxury and Precision W2) good cables and a the Traillii then you reach the best results.
I tested the Trailliii with W2 on my notebook now as well and it's superb !

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #345 of 8,019
well buy this one instead then - this is a true rip off. Why ? Because they sell you the amount of armatures inside but there is NO whatsoever review about them.

I honestly can not understand how you went from loving the bird to thinking it is pure trash - there is no connection between those two statements. You can sell a 15.000 Euro Rolex for 2000 in a second hand forum - but what does that proof ? Seriously i don't understand, but never mind - everybody does what he wants.

AK-TF- 2021-03-15_2907.jpg

Screenshot_20210315-075801_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back