Oriolus Traillii Electrostatic Hybrid IEM discussion thread
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #2,686 of 8,027
What's your favorite DAP pairing?

I'm starting to find that I reach out to my old DX220+Amp8EX for airy, good bite, toe-tapping, lively sound, with good sub bass. M8 has a very natural timbre for acoustic instruments but it seems a bit too soft. starting to get second thoughts of re-buying DX300 or try R8... hmmm Does R6P have more airyness/bite, sort of treble clarity?
I have been assed out on my W2 pairing since the lightning adapter stopped working, so lately I have gotten re-acquainted with the R8 for Traillii and am re-loving the synergy. Rich, full upper mids, exciting yet smooth treble, excellent instrument timbre (particularly strings), strong airiness, and meaty bass response (although more on the midbass than subbass which can always get a bit tricky for BAs).

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,687 of 8,027
I have been assed out on my W2 pairing since the lightning adapter stopped working, so lately I have gotten re-acquainted with the R8 for Traillii and am re-loving the synergy. Rich, full upper mids, exciting yet smooth treble, excellent instrument timbre (particularly strings), strong airiness, and meaty bass response (although more on the midbass than subbass which can always get a bit tricky for BAs).
Am sorry regarding W2
Suggest you get one of the 3rd party cables like ddhifi mentioned in W2 thread.
I find W2 quite awesome lately with the bird on the go as it has this nice dry sub bass and reveiling signature.
If DX Max will get too harsh as you mentioned I will sell Max and keep W2...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #2,688 of 8,027
Am sorry regarding W2
I find W2 quite awesome lately with the bird on the go as it has this nice dry sub bass and reveiling signature.
Exactly-I miss that dry, deep subbass from W2 :joy: . Yes I ordered some of your recommendations (thanks again!) but the shipping is taking 3-4 weeks unfortunately.

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #2,689 of 8,027
I actually really like the Trailii out of the SP2000 with/without the C9 depending on my mood. The Hugo2/2Go also works very well with a warmer Class A presentation although the soundstage and airy layering are better in the SP2000.

However, not really a DAP but the Chord TT2 is made to make IEM's sing ... like the Trailii
I haven't heard the Trailii out of a Dave. Yet. I probably shouldn't.
+1 on the SP2000 pairing, my favorite. That said, the M8 is definitely no slouch.

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,690 of 8,027
Exactly my same thoughts
DX Max coming back next days finally after 3 months repair travel to China and back...
Will report how that pairs but expect pretty much the signature of your DX220, Amp8 on steroids
W2 is surprisingly similar to DX220 line but as small footprint!

Curious on reports P6Pro vs N6II TI /R01...

Curious to hear your thoughts on MAX! DX220+8ex on steroid might be too much of a good thing, lol.

That sounds very attractive! As long as the sub bass is there to support the music when it's called for, it's not going to be a problem for the types of music I have. I thought I read about quality control issue with R8? Has that been resolved?

It seems R8 and SP2kCu are a must try...

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #2,691 of 8,027
Curious to hear your thoughts on MAX! DX220+8ex on steroid might be too much of a good thing, lol.

That sounds very attractive! As long as the sub bass is there to support the music when it's called for, it's not going to be a problem for the types of music I have. I thought I read about quality control issue with R8? Has that been resolved?

It seems R8 and SP2kCu are a must try...
I never had issues with my R8 except occasional inconsistent volume switching on the knob only when the screen is locked, but can't speak for others :)

Regarding subbass from the W2; I wouldn't call it overwhelming, just takes slight precedence over midbass without bleeding into other frequencies. It extends very deep with excellent attack, decay and bite. On the other hand, W2 is not a lower-midrange focused synergy IMO. It definitely focuses more on the upper-mids, so male vocals and rock genres could potentially suffer/be better suited with another source.

Edit: Just noticed your subbass comment is about R8, not W2. Ignore second paragraph then haha. Subbass is solid on R8 but not as emphasized as from W2.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #2,692 of 8,027
Am sorry regarding W2
I agree. The W2 is a nearly perfect pairing with the Bird. So cheap, too.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #2,693 of 8,027
I really wish I liked dongles more. I would use my iPhone lightning to 3.5mm more than S1 just because to me it’s that much more convenient.

Side note: P6 Pro is gone. I’ll be back to LP when they polish their UI a bit. M8 demo should be here by this evening and I have the N6ii Ti on pre order, wooo.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #2,695 of 8,027
I never had issues with my R8 except occasional inconsistent volume switching on the knob only when the screen is locked, but can't speak for others :)

Regarding subbass from the W2; I wouldn't call it overwhelming, just takes slight precedence over midbass without bleeding into other frequencies. It extends very deep with excellent attack, decay and bite. On the other hand, W2 is not a lower-midrange focused synergy IMO. It definitely focuses more on the upper-mids, so male vocals and rock genres could potentially suffer/be better suited with another source.

Edit: Just noticed your subbass comment is about R8, not W2. Ignore second paragraph then haha. Subbass is solid on R8 but not as emphasized as from W2.
That's spot on my impression / issue:
- W2 for modern stuff like Pop, EDM, Rap, RnB -> tad salty
- Rock, Metal, Jazz: M8 -> sweet and thick

Jack of all trades:?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,696 of 8,027
I always get a chuckle when someone revisits the R8 and is surprised by how great it sounds. :wink: The synergy and balance of musicality/technical ability with Traillii, LX and Fourte is exceptional.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #2,697 of 8,027
Mason FS otw.

it's feeding time...

:bird:

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #2,698 of 8,027
Spending some time with the M8 and Orpheus Traillii combination.

Overall I really like what I am hearing (with turbo gain on, it is quite a difference compared to low/high in terms of sound quality imo), it’s a warm and smooth sound with some amazing bass to go with it, leans more towards the musical side rather than technical side (it is no technical slouch by any means) and overall it’s a very engaging listen. Pretty much the type of sound that’s right up my alley. Honestly, I think I prefer this to the DX300 based off of even an hour of listening so far. DX300 sounds like it may be a bit more capable in terms of just raw detail/layering and to me that’s probably more down to its sharper transients and overall leaner sound. This also seems to be more mid bass focused than the DX300 which I feel leans more towards the sub bass side, but it isn’t bugging me yet at least.

I am looking forward to spending another day or two with this pair and see what happens.

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #2,699 of 8,027
Spending some time with the M8 and Orpheus Traillii combination.

Overall I really like what I am hearing (with turbo gain on, it is quite a difference compared to low/high in terms of sound quality imo), it’s a warm and smooth sound with some amazing bass to go with it, leans more towards the musical side rather than technical side (it is no technical slouch by any means) and overall it’s a very engaging listen. Pretty much the type of sound that’s right up my alley. Honestly, I think I prefer this to the DX300 based off of even an hour of listening so far. DX300 sounds like it may be a bit more capable in terms of just raw detail/layering and to me that’s probably more down to its sharper transients and overall leaner sound. This also seems to be more mid bass focused than the DX300 which I feel leans more towards the sub bass side, but it isn’t bugging me yet at least.

I am looking forward to spending another day or two with this pair and see what happens.
That velvety smooth sound from the AK4499 I felt too was one of M8's main highlight. Added with some tight mid-bass emphasis.

SQ-wise, how would you compare the M8 with P6Pro?

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #2,700 of 8,027
it’s a warm and smooth sound with some amazing bass to go with it, leans more towards the musical side rather than technical side (it is no technical slouch by any means) and overall it’s a very engaging listen...

Great impressions. I feel the bird has enough technical chops that a tuning that leans toward warmth, musicality and engagement would work superbly.

Even in terms of tweaks like tips. Your description about reminds me of notes I took when using the Elecom tips. You give a little in terms of edge clarity and the last nuance of air, but in return are rewarded with sheer liquid brilliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back