Oriolus Products General Discussion Thread
May 28, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #106 of 587
9F7733DF-41BF-4E77-AA0A-4FE1259D86DF.jpeg2FC7830E-B238-44EF-809B-430DB09BC1E1.jpeg9B01C607-8C3A-47CB-B940-B23A68824A01.jpeg259B361B-F5CB-44D8-831D-FFDC49353AF0.jpegF01885F0-F41A-4B88-94A9-C51598C1DA73.jpeg
Isabellae came in sooner than expected.

So if this is Oriolus house sound, I need to grab the Traillii soon.
Looking great. Lovely pictures. Congrats on getting them (and so soon too) :) Share us what you think when you get the chance. And please enjoy!

May 29, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #107 of 587

Compared to my current favorite Tansio Mirai Spark
That graph gives me Odin vibes... Looks very forward. I look forward to your impressions.

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #109 of 587
May 29, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #110 of 587
The more I read impressions, and what seems to me mirrored in the graphs, the more it’s likely I won’t jump on this just yet. It was between the Isa and IE900 and the latter leans toward ticking two important boxes - sub bass focus and non-fatiguing treble. Which is quite the opposite of how the Isa seems to be tuned.

May 29, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #111 of 587
The more I read impressions, and what seems to me mirrored in the graphs, the more it’s likely I won’t jump on this just yet. It was between the Isa and IE900 and the latter leans toward ticking two important boxes - sub bass focus and non-fatiguing treble. Which is quite the opposite of how the Isa seems to be tuned.
I just cannot make my mind up on the Isabellae - I agree it seems a bit fatiguing. From what I read with the IE900, it seems the treble is just on the edge of being a bit peaky. Also a big difference in price we can't ignore.

May 29, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #112 of 587
I just cannot make my mind up on the Isabellae - I agree it seems a bit fatiguing. From what I read with the IE900, it seems the treble is just on the edge of being a bit peaky. Also a big difference in price we can't ignore.
On the edge yes but not sibilant, and I believe less elevated upper mids.

Granted it is double the price. I think if I didn’t own Traillii the Isa would appeal more, to get a taste of the Oriolus sound.

May 29, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #113 of 587

Maybe you can get to try the IE900 soon in a shop? Seriously, absolutely no treble issue for me - as I noted in my initial impressions, there is more than I thought I might like but it seems some brilliant engineering has these tuned in a way that you have magic treble that gives wonderful detail but without any harshness, sibilance etc. But indeed there is quite a difference in price.

May 29, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #114 of 587
On the edge yes but not sibilant, and I believe less elevated upper mids.

Granted it is double the price. I think if I didn’t own Traillii the Isa would appeal more, to get a taste of the Oriolus sound.

Wanting a feel of the Oriolus sound is pretty much the only reason to get the Isa in my mind - though I hear the Triallii is less forward in the upper mids plus better sub bass and obviously soundstage - so I'm a little curious how it can maintain some of the Triallii tonality!

Maybe you can get to try the IE900 soon in a shop? Seriously, absolutely no treble issue for me - as I noted in my initial impressions, there is more than I thought I might like but it seems some brilliant engineering has these tuned in a way that you have magic treble that gives wonderful detail but without any harshness, sibilance etc. But indeed there is quite a difference in price.

Jup I think I definitely need to try the IE900 soon. Any ideas when a 4.4mm will be available, or you happy driving them with the 3.5mm?

May 29, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #115 of 587
Wanting a feel of the Oriolus sound is pretty much the only reason to get the Isa in my mind - though I hear the Triallii is less forward in the upper mids plus better sub bass and obviously soundstage - so I'm a little curious how it can maintain some of the Triallii tonality!

Jup I think I definitely need to try the IE900 soon. Any ideas when a 4.4mm will be available, or you happy driving them with the 3.5mm?

They come with 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4mm cables - just the IE300 comes with 3.5mm as standard... plugged into the 1A :)

20210529_100641.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May 29, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #116 of 587
I think, if you like the bass on the Traillii then the IE900 would be a closer resemblance of its DD counterpart. At least out of some I've tried. As for its BA counterpart, I think the V14 is a good candidate :) Tonally, I think the Isa would be brighter with more presence in the upper-mids than the Traillii. The Traillii is relatively wetter, more organic-like, while the Isa sounded cleaner, and somewhat colder more transparent. Midrange-wise, I think the IE900 would be good too for those who like the Traillii, as they both have less 'exciting' calmer upper-mids (3~4kHz region). It all depends on taste (and playlist) in the end. Despite their single DD configuration, they both sound quite differently from one another. One with more focus on sub-bass, the other has a brighter tuning. I hope to get to try them both again

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #118 of 587
I think, if you like the bass on the Traillii then the IE900 would be a close resemblance of its DD counterpart. At least out of some I've tried. As for its BA counterpart, I think the V14 is a good candidate :) Tonally, I think the Isa would be brighter with more presence in the upper-mids than the Traillii. The Traillii is relatively wetter, more organic-like, while the Isa sounded cleaner, and somewhat colder more transparent relatively less coloured. Midrange-wise, I think the IE900 would be good too for those who like the Traillii, as they both have less 'exciting' calmer upper-mids (3~4kHz region). It all depends on taste (and playlist) in the end. Despite their single DD configuration, they both sound quite differently from one another. One with more focus on sub-bass, the other has a brighter tuning. I hope to get to try them both again, maybe on Monday? Because I think the IE900 sounded good as well, but more low-key.

Reading this is giving me a bit of pause...the upper mid region seems to be a make it or break region in IEMs for me. If it was any brand other than Oriolus I might consider cancelling my order.

47285A2D-3E72-42B6-912F-327B70BAAEAF.jpeg
Compared to my current favorite Tansio Mirai Spark

I would be curious to see an IER Z1R comparison if that's feasible for you.

May 29, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #120 of 587
Oriolus Isabellae

The Bass of the Isabellae has a good balance of quantity and control in the IEM realm. Though it is clearly not as impactful and subwoofer like some of the hybrids (QT-9 MKII, Globe, ME700 lite) or tribrids (Bravado MKII, Monarch, Volt etc.) I have sampled lately. It does sound quicker and nuanced than most of my DD or multi DD earphones. The response of the Isabellae is quite linear and has enough depth and a good extension. Bass on the whole is more mid-bass biased and I personally would've preferred a slightly more rumble (aka sub-bass presence) to make the lower midrange a little more neutral.

The midrange is clean and clear sounding and attempts to strike a balance between dry yet detailed and the smoother yet thicker sound. The Isabellae is still not a neutral IEM and there is definitely a hint of warmth to the midrange, but it is more on-level with the Oxygen, Zen than the Xelento or CA Atlas. In terms of overall balance, the midrange is not as dynamic as the bass nor aggressive as the treble and has a tendency to become slightly subdued at my listening level of around 75-80dbs. I would probably describe overall signature as a shallow v-shaped and on a several occasions I ended up catching myself thinking that the pushy nature of the treble can be detrimental to the overall musical experience.

As hinted above, the treble of the Isabellae is quite prominent and pushed to your face. It is not harsh or sibilant but depending on your age and hearing abilities, this might cause a bit of problem. When listening really well mastered and clean sounding classical music, abundant treble boasts plentiful sparkle and clarity but with not-so-well recorded stuff prepare yourself to a bit of overly-exciting top end.

Note that I am using a quite analytical source currently and my experience might change with the Shanling M8 which will arrive next week. I will update again after then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back