Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Sep 3, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,216 of 1,871
Could it be you're just salty about the price change?
Not at all. I just think for the price difference the Oriolus is an outstanding value. And on Head fi $179 is throw a way money or as some say they'll be my beaters. I also have much respect for the Fiio FH1 at $74. I have not heard anything more expensive than the Andromeda so maybe those over $1800 to $2500 or the over $5800 spiral ears that went down to a paltry $3000ish because of backlash from the community are worth it. The new Sony with a 12mm,5mm and a BA looks interesting but it's over $1800. Not trying to offend anyone's decision making when buying but I do love the oriolus.

Sep 3, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,217 of 1,871
Not at all. I just think for the price difference the Oriolus is an outstanding value. And on Head fi $179 is throw a way money or as some say they'll be my beaters. I also have much respect for the Fiio FH1 at $74. I have not heard anything more expensive than the Andromeda so maybe those over $1800 to $2500 or the over $5800 spiral ears that went down to a paltry $3000ish because of backlash from the community are worth it. The new Sony with a 12mm,5mm and a BA looks interesting but it's over $1800. Not trying to offend anyone's decision making when buying but I do love the oriolus.
I'll see if my local distributor has any Oriolus and hopefully give them a try. To be honest I'm not loving the Bravado as much as everyone else seems to.

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #1,223 of 1,871
I received my oriolus mk2 about 3 weeks ago and paired it with my s7 edge but was unimpressed, i didn't think much of it as that time because the s7 edge is a pretty crappy source. Ordered a questyle qp1r which arrived yesterday and i'm still struggling to understand what the hype surrounding these iems are. My se535 had better mids and the mk2 sounds thin in comparison but the mk2 edges it out on treble extension and is more resolving.

I am using an aftermarket cable called PlasticsOne which supposedly comes with inear prophile 8 because the original cable from the original owner had a damaged jack. Sent it back to oriolus china almost 3 weeks ago and still haven't received a response from them, talk about customer service :beyersmile:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can unlock the 'wow' potential of these iems because thus far i'm really not impressed and considering returning them to the owner or just listing them for trade.

N.B. I've tried them with symbio mandarines w and jvc spiral dot tips.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,224 of 1,871
try giving them some juice. Up the gain to medium or even high and see if it makes a difference.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,226 of 1,871
Upping gain gives it a more fuller sound but nothing spectacular. Could the difference truly be the cables?
A cable is not going to fix an IEM if you already don't like its sound signature. Are you getting a proper seal?

Sep 6, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #1,228 of 1,871
I received my oriolus mk2 about 3 weeks ago and paired it with my s7 edge but was unimpressed, i didn't think much of it as that time because the s7 edge is a pretty crappy source. Ordered a questyle qp1r which arrived yesterday and i'm still struggling to understand what the hype surrounding these iems are. My se535 had better mids and the mk2 sounds thin in comparison but the mk2 edges it out on treble extension and is more resolving.

I am using an aftermarket cable called PlasticsOne which supposedly comes with inear prophile 8 because the original cable from the original owner had a damaged jack. Sent it back to oriolus china almost 3 weeks ago and still haven't received a response from them, talk about customer service :beyersmile:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can unlock the 'wow' potential of these iems because thus far i'm really not impressed and considering returning them to the owner or just listing them for trade.

N.B. I've tried them with symbio mandarines w and jvc spiral dot tips.
The MK2 blows the 535 out of the water. There's definitely something wrong in your source, cable or something else.

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #1,230 of 1,871
A cable is not going to fix an IEM if you already don't like its sound signature. Are you getting a proper seal?
Yes, that was the first thought. I initially tried the small silicon tips that came with the oriolus but they didn't seal well. So i bought the symbio mandarines tips and they sealed excellently but caused some discomfort after 30 mins, plus they also seemed to boost the treble to almost piercing levels which made it sound quite harsh and unrefined. Tried spiral dot this week and the seal was good without any discomfort when i inserted it very deep, but they attenuate the treble too much which makes the iems sound dull causing me to crank up the volume even higher than i would with other tips just to get engaged with the music. I then tried my panasonic rphje125 silicon tips and it gives the best seal with minimum discomfort when i inserted it deep and sounds best tonally. It sounds slightly smoother with better treble extension and allows me to engage with the music better, i think it just doesn't alter the sound sig of the oriolus.

Anyway, my tip rolling conclusion:
Stock silicon mk2 tips: bad seal, decent sound
Symbio mandarines w tips: excellent seal, causes discomfort, boosts treble to piercing levels
Jvc spiral dot tips: good seal, excellent comfort, attenuates treble to dull levels which causes you to increase volume
Panasonic rphje125 tips: good seal, good comfort, excellent sound.

I do like the oriolus' sound sig btw, i just don't see it as a huge improvement over se535 and to be honest, it's not even a night and day difference to my panasonic rphje125 which i ordered from ebay for £5.99. So maybe i was sold a faulty pair, or my qp1r needs time to burn in to unlock the oriolus mk2's potential, or maybe it just needs the stock cable or a better cable than in inear prophile 8 PlasticsOne cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back