Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Apr 13, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #1,051 of 1,871
You bought yours in Japan? Did you get the Mk2 or the Reborn since you bought the Japanese version? Reborn version comes with nice chrome plated 3.5mm plug and gold-plated 2pin for the Oriolus.

I am using with separately bought PW No. 5 cable but I don't like it with spinfit tips. Tried double flanges tips without brand, the spiral dots, Symbio tips, as well as comply. Managed to find the best isolation and perfect fit for my ears (we have different ear sizes) with the small comply tips ordered online (not available normally in standard stores).

Seal is important and I could not get the best sound from Spinfit as it starts to slip out quickly. The standard medium size Comply tips did not help with comfort and seal for me. Until I tried the small tips which is perfect size for me due to the large bore of Oriolus Mk2 (I used medium size tips for XBA-Z5, SE846, etc). Only then I could really understand all the praises on this IEM.

I am using orilous for almost one and half month now. The bass on orilous is good but quantity is much more than I used to. I also tried spinfit double flange tips. They helped but not much. I liked my flc8s more than oriolus mk2. It is japanese version with PW audio no 5 cable. Thinking of selling it.

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #1,052 of 1,871
There are only 2 kind of tips that bring out the best out of Oriolus: Spiral Dots and MandarinEs Symbio W
However it all fades in comparison with the customized version. The sound just opens up, especially high frequencies.

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #1,053 of 1,871
I remember being floored by the crushing subbass when I matched them with triple flanges (Monster Turbines leftover me thinks). Then switching to large comply, it resulted in a more airy signature; very open live sounding hybrid.

The flc8s was good but this was something else. Really worth the time trying different tips with different sizes. Good luck!

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,054 of 1,871
Custom should provide the best seal and thus optimal sound from Oriolus.

However, I beg to differ on the "only 2 kind of tips" that bring out the best out of Oriolus. Bought additional sizes of the Spiral Dots (S, MS, M, L) and the well-made Symbio W (tried S size as M is too big for me), as well as other tips to test and I have a different conclusion after testing out the different tips. This is subjective as we have different ears and shapes.

Symbio is really good in seal and Spiral Dots is quite comfortable. Thought I would end up with either one as the "best" tip to stay on my Oriolus since I could not get the same comfort with the medium size Comply.

My small size Comply tips came later and it is now permanent on my Oriolus. A perfect seal which is close to my custom JH16pro but much more comfortable than Spiral Dots and the sound quality is close.

Thus, I won't conclude which eartips is the best for all or if it bring out the best out of your Oriolus. We all have different ears and hearing and only when you try it and find your own "best" tips, you will find the beauty of Oriolus.

There are only 2 kind of tips that bring out the best out of Oriolus: Spiral Dots and MandarinEs Symbio W
However it all fades in comparison with the customized version. The sound just opens up, especially high frequencies.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,055 of 1,871
Anyone here heard the Campfire Audio Cascade or Periodic Audio BE? I've seen reviews noting the Oriolus' bass as boomy. I was NOT a fan of how large the bass was on the two phones I mentioned. I loved their general warm signature, but the bass was too much in quantity. Are the Oriolus MK2 the same?

Or anyone know of something similar, but less overwhelming bass?

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #1,057 of 1,871
Anyone here heard the Campfire Audio Cascade or Periodic Audio BE? I've seen reviews noting the Oriolus' bass as boomy. I was NOT a fan of how large the bass was on the two phones I mentioned. I loved their general warm signature, but the bass was too much in quantity. Are the Oriolus MK2 the same?

Try the earsonics ES5. Tone is q little darker overall, but the bass might be what you're looking for. It's got much more controlled bass in it.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #1,058 of 1,871
cascade is a full size so comparing with iem feels pretty unfair imo
Why? I'm not comparing soundstage or detail retrieval that would make it unfair. I just want to know if the general signature is the same. If it's a warm sound, that's a bit too strong in the bass.

Plus, the Beryllium's I also mentioned are in ear, so there shouldn't be an issue there...

Try the earsonics ES5. Tone is q little darker overall, but the bass might be what you're looking for. It's got much more controlled bass in it.
Really? I just checked 2 reviews and they both say it's a V-shaped signature.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #1,059 of 1,871
Why? I'm not comparing soundstage or detail retrieval that would make it unfair. I just want to know if the general signature is the same. If it's a warm sound, that's a bit too strong in the bass.

Plus, the Beryllium's I also mentioned are in ear, so there shouldn't be an issue there...

Really? I just checked 2 reviews and they both say it's a V-shaped signature.

If it is V shaped , it's a soft one, in my opinion . And yes, there is a bass boost but if you're looking for quantity but not boominess , I feel like the ES5 has less boom than the slightly sluggish dynamic driver bass in the oriolus.

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,060 of 1,871

TBH I can call Oriolus bass anything but boomy with the right choice of tips. I'd aim for a wide-nozzle non-foam tip, like spiral dot or MandarinEs W.
And I'd never call Oriolus V-shaped. Treble is recessed and sits comfortably behind bass and midrange. I'd say Oriolus has a slight emphasis on sub bass and vocal range.

Beryllium's albeit a good iem for the price are obliterated by Oriolus on every level, in my opinion.

Generally buying anything blindly is not a good idea and if you're hesitant I'd rather you don't buy it.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #1,061 of 1,871
+1 if the bass is too boomy then some tip rolling is required. IME, the bass provides fullness and weight and a live concert feel (especially with electric bass)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #1,062 of 1,871
There is a noticeable lower freq rumble, but hardly boomy due to the excellent separation and soundstage. Try silicon tips (not spinfit), such as spiral dots or AET07 acoustune tips.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #1,063 of 1,871
oriolus is not boomy in my opinion as well but its definitely a bass with slower decay than usual BA bass

and regarding signature i was looking at it in terms of quantity not quality, i considered boominess(decay) a quality haha misunderstood it oops

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #1,064 of 1,871
TBH I can call Oriolus bass anything but boomy with the right choice of tips. I'd aim for a wide-nozzle non-foam tip, like spiral dot or MandarinEs W.
And I'd never call Oriolus V-shaped. Treble is recessed and sits comfortably behind bass and midrange. I'd say Oriolus has a slight emphasis on sub bass and vocal range.

Beryllium's albeit a good iem for the price are obliterated by Oriolus on every level, in my opinion.

Generally buying anything blindly is not a good idea and if you're hesitant I'd rather you don't buy it.

Blind buy is usually my only option, so I try to research as much as possible. There's also a sale here used with 2.5mm mod (I prefer to go balance with my DX200).

There's also a sale with the IE800S by Sennheiser, which seems to have a similar warmer signature, but a bit more balanced.

I'm just looking for something similar to my Diomnes earbuds (not in ear). So in that case, maybe it's not boominess I'm worried about, but just pure volume. The earbuds have a similar warm, mid-bassy signature as the Cascade and BE iem, but with less exaggerated bass volume (with thin foams at least). No treble peaks either.

oriolus is not boomy in my opinion as well but its definitely a bass with slower decay than usual BA bass

and regarding signature i was looking at it in terms of quantity not quality, i considered boominess(decay) a quality haha misunderstood it oops
I see what you mean. I didn't know boominess usually associates with slower decay.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,065 of 1,871
not sure if u believe cables but i find oriolus responds well to cable changing so that might solve the bass problem, not too sure bout treble peaking though

also have u tried andromeda? it seems like something along those lines you described as of the iems i have expereinced

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back