Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Apr 24, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,066 of 1,871
not sure if u believe cables but i find oriolus responds well to cable changing so that might solve the bass problem, not too sure bout treble peaking though

also have u tried andromeda? it seems like something along those lines you described as of the iems i have expereinced

I was under the impression the Andromeda is more of a brighter, analytical IEM. Is that wrong?

I'm still looking for a warm IEM, hence the interest in the Oriolus. I don't see myself changing cables, but the DX200 has interchangeable amps, so I can tune the sound that way.

TBH I can call Oriolus bass anything but boomy with the right choice of tips. I'd aim for a wide-nozzle non-foam tip, like spiral dot or MandarinEs W.
And I'd never call Oriolus V-shaped. Treble is recessed and sits comfortably behind bass and midrange. I'd say Oriolus has a slight emphasis on sub bass and vocal range.

Beryllium's albeit a good iem for the price are obliterated by Oriolus on every level, in my opinion.

You've heard the Beryllium's? Did it have more or less bass? I don't know if I just tried the wrong ear tips, but when I tried the Beryllium, the bass completely overpowered everything. Is the Oriolus more balanced there?

Your description of the Oriolus is exactly what I'm looking for in a warm IEM. I just don't want basshead levels of bass. My Diomnes earbuds have a prominent mid and upper bass, but it helps male vocals sound full without adding an overpowering reverb. The only downside is female vocals are a little recessed, but that makes them more smooth and forgiving at the same time. I wouldn't mind a little more upper mids though. Treble sits back too, just like you described with the Oriolus.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #1,068 of 1,871
@ctaxxxx Beryllium are overall worse in terms of sq. Less separation, less detail retrieval, v-shaped sound: mid frequencies are behind highs and lows. More bass quantitatively, but it's worse qualitatively.

Believe me, Oriolus is not a basshead iem. The biggest gripe with Oriolus is fit: it has a short nozzle and a bulky body. I couldn't get a fit proper for walking - they would fall off every 5 minutes, so I had to make a CIEM out of them.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #1,069 of 1,871
Same experience. The small comply tips solved the Oriolus fit for me and I can now listen with it for hours with zero fatigue and won't fall off my ears.

The Hyla CE-5 improves on the nozzle design and it is much more comfortable and better fit, even with silicon eartips which I could not use well with Oriolus.

And of course, it improves on the sound quality as well. Both are one of the best IEM available, though I go to my Hyla more nowadays.

@ctaxxxx
Believe me, Oriolus is not a basshead iem. The biggest gripe with Oriolus is fit: it has a short nozzle and a bulky body. I couldn't get a fit proper for walking - they would fall off every 5 minutes, so I had to make a CIEM out of them.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #1,070 of 1,871
Hey friends thanks for your suggestions for foam eartips. Never expected that they will work well with oriolus. Now I see why everyone is raving about them. They are clearly a step above flc8s. Very cohesive and organic sound.

Attachments

• IMG_20180426_202214.jpg
    IMG_20180426_202214.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 27, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #1,071 of 1,871
not sure if u believe cables but i find oriolus responds well to cable changing so that might solve the bass problem, not too sure bout treble peaking though

also have u tried andromeda? it seems like something along those lines you described as of the iems i have expereinced
Finally managed to buy a used Oriolus for a great price. It doesn't have the original cable, so I was interested in buying a quality aftermarket cable that uses 4.4mm. I was thinking the same PW Audio No.5 cable that originally came with it or maybe something cheaper?

What are the pin sockets? Recessed 0.78mm 2-pin?

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,072 of 1,871
Yes, it is recessed 0.78mm 2-pin connectors.

As for cable, tried Effect Audio Ares II and PW Audio No. 5 with my Oriolus Mk2. My set is Asia set with the standard packaged 6N crystal copper cable which looks similar to PW Audio No 5 but not the same quality. Bought the PW Audio No. 5 separately after trying out Ares II (sold after that).

Both Ares and No. 5 are copper cables and both are very well-made, with lots of similarity, including price. The clear insulator is softer on the PW No.5 but the choker is nicer with the Ares II.

Didn't do direct comparison on the sound difference as sold my Ares II before buying the No. 5. They are both more decently priced (not exactly cheap) with good price ratio vs other crazily priced cables out there.

You can't go wrong with either choices, but there are reviews mentioning a big difference when Oriolus Mk2 matches with the No. 5 as compared with the standard 6N copper cable. Probably that's why the Japanese set comes with No. 5 (at a higher price of course) for what it is famous for - smooth and sweet vocals, and it seems consistent in reviews that the best cable to match the Oriolus Mk2 is with the No. 5.

You can probably order either of them with a 4.4mm plug.

You can read more review here:
http://theheadphonelist.com/the-effect-audio-ares-ii/
http://theheadphonelist.com/pwaudio-no-5-review-veritas-control/

Finally managed to buy a used Oriolus for a great price. It doesn't have the original cable, so I was interested in buying a quality aftermarket cable that uses 4.4mm. I was thinking the same PW Audio No.5 cable that originally came with it or maybe something cheaper?

What are the pin sockets? Recessed 0.78mm 2-pin?

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,073 of 1,871
Yes, it is recessed 0.78mm 2-pin connectors.

As for cable, tried Effect Audio Ares II and PW Audio No. 5 with my Oriolus Mk2. My set is Asia set with the standard packaged 6N crystal copper cable which looks similar to PW Audio No 5 but not the same quality. Bought the PW Audio No. 5 separately after trying out Ares II (sold after that).

Both Ares and No. 5 are copper cables and both are very well-made, with lots of similarity, including price. The clear insulator is softer on the PW No.5 but the choker is nicer with the Ares II.

Didn't do direct comparison on the sound difference as sold my Ares II before buying the No. 5. They are both more decently priced (not exactly cheap) with good price ratio vs other crazily priced cables out there.

You can't go wrong with either choices, but there are reviews mentioning a big difference when Oriolus Mk2 matches with the No. 5 as compared with the standard 6N copper cable. Probably that's why the Japanese set comes with No. 5 (at a higher price of course) for what it is famous for - smooth and sweet vocals, and it seems consistent in reviews that the best cable to match the Oriolus Mk2 is with the No. 5.

You can probably order either of them with a 4.4mm plug.

You can read more review here:
http://theheadphonelist.com/the-effect-audio-ares-ii/
http://theheadphonelist.com/pwaudio-no-5-review-veritas-control/

"The ARES II and No.5 are fairly similar with the ARES II being slightly cooler, clearer and brighter. As such, I consider the No.5 to be sligthly more balanced with most earphones, though it also doesn’t sound quite as consistently transparent or pristine as the ARES II. The ARES II has a little more extension up top and a larger stage. It is more liquid through its midrange, a trait carried by most EA cables. That said, this does come at the cost of some coherence with the No.5 offering more accurate positioning and layering."

That's interesting. I'll see how these sound with the cable that it is coming with (some gold-plated copper cable I think), and decide from there if I want something warmer, or cooler. EA being cheaper is nice too. I'll check here on Head-Fi as well.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #1,074 of 1,871
was busy previously oops. cable wise i think most people prefer pw for their body in lows but i rather silver material at times i guess. so far the cables i tried just give differrnt flavour to oriolus, it doesnt really go too wrong. as usual most silver cables result in a brighter presentation. thus far the most clean and neutral sounding one ive tried is alo ref8 if that might be of your interest too

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #1,076 of 1,871
Just heard the whole Oriolus line up at Fujiya Headphone festival, including Nerva, Mellanius, Hyla and the new 2 driver Hybrid. Nerva was my clear favorite. It is very full and natural sounding! :)

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #1,078 of 1,871
Wow! Lucky you!

Is the Nerva heavy with the silver body?

Yep, it s quite hefty. Did not have any problems wearing them though...in fact they were very comfortable and feel great!

In terms of sound, the Nerva is the closest to the original Oriolus sound (which I love), just better...

The Mellanius has a lot more treble and the Hyla is V-Shaped. They all sounded really nice though, each in their own way. So I guess it s a question of taste...Oriolus have a very interesting lineup now!

And the new 2-driver Hybrid (forgot its name) was a big surprise, too! It will only be about 200 Euros! Compared to Billy Jean and Comet, to my ears it was the best sounding of these new „cheap“ (well it s all relative) offerings by high end companies!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #1,079 of 1,871
Thanks for sharing.

I will test it next month when there in Tokyo!

Enjoying the Hyla now. If the Nerva is very close to the Oriolus sound, I will probably pass.... prefer the Hyla sound signature and will probably let go of my Oriolus Mk2, so no point paying another 3X price for the Nerva.

We'll see.....

Yep, it s quite hefty. Did not have any problems wearing them though...in fact they were very comfortable and feel great!

In terms of sound, the Nerva is the closest to the original Oriolus sound (which I love), just better...

The Mellanius has a lot more treble and the Hyla is V-Shaped. They all sounded really nice though, each in their own way. So I guess it s a question of taste...Oriolus have a very interesting lineup now!

And the new 2-driver Hybrid (forgot its name) was a big surprise, too! It will only be about 200 Euros! Compared to Billy Jean and Comet, to my ears it was the best sounding of these new „cheap“ (well it s all relative) offerings by high end companies!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #1,080 of 1,871
Here is my candidate for best value IEM this 2018. :) Didn't know the price at first, but I thought it sounded amazing regardless. Personally I like this one better than the Bravado. Maybe because of my preference. Same hybrid 1D + 1BA configuration. Cost is at +/- US$200~250. It sounded more balanced, coherent, and resolving IMO. The both have a kick-ass bass though. The Finschi I think has a tiny bit less bass, which grants its midrange slightly more clarity, and forward center positioning. The treble is smooth, and clear unlike other IEMs at this price level. Tried it with the SP1000, YMMV.

P_20180428_185218.jpg

@ranfan had a post with pic about the new hybrid in the TOTL thread. Looking pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back