Oriolus Hybrid IEM
May 1, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,082 of 1,871
Wow these are a shallow fit. I don't even know why they come with small tips. They can't even go deep enough.

I think these may be the first IEM were I actually prefer the foams over the standard silicone ones. I may need to buy different comply tips though (using the comfort 500 series with the middle foam cut out).

This IEM is a little brighter than I thought it would be, but that might be a good thing. Not quite as liquid smooth than I was expecting, but I can easily fix that with a smoother DX200 amp and a better cable (this gold one that came with it looks gaudy lol). These really remind me of my Sony MDR-Z1R though, but with more bass!

(edit: Never mind. Looking at another cable now.)

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #1,083 of 1,871
I could not get the best comfort/seal with silicon tips, but comply foam tips (small) work perfectly for me.

I am using the Acoustune silicon tip fine with Hyla though. Interesting that silicon tips seems to sound slightly different from foam tips for Hyla, but the difference is very minimal for Oriolus Mk2.

Wow these are a shallow fit. I don't even know why they come with small tips. They can't even go deep enough.

I think these may be the first IEM were I actually prefer the foams over the standard silicone ones. I may need to buy different comply tips though (using the comfort 500 series with the middle foam cut out).

This IEM is a little brighter than I thought it would be, but that might be a good thing. Not quite as liquid smooth than I was expecting, but I can easily fix that with a smoother DX200 amp and a better cable (this gold one that came with it looks gaudy lol). These really remind me of my Sony MDR-Z1R though, but with more bass!

Has anyone heard the PW Black Icon series? (Pure silver, 4 wire) Someone is selling an old version of it.

May 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,084 of 1,871
I can't seem to decide between the EA Ares II+, or the PW Audio No.5 cable. I'm okay with how the warmth is with this 3rd party cable, but I don't know how it compares since it's not stock. Does anyone know what gold plated copper tends to sound like? I know silver plated copper tends to sound U-shaped.

Edit: Apparently, gold is warmer sounding than copper, so it would be the opposite of silver plated copper... Think I might go with the PW Audio No.5 cable.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #1,086 of 1,871
May 6, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #1,087 of 1,871
May 6, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #1,088 of 1,871
Ordered the PW Audio No.5 cable in 4.4mm! Apparently, they had one pre-made in stock, so I paid extra for expedited shipping (around $200 total). Should be here this week.

Just curious, what IEM (under $1K) is everyone using as a complement to the Oriolus' full-bodied and warm signature? This is what's next on my list. Something with fast BA bass and high frequency extension and resolution.

May 6, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #1,089 of 1,871
Ordered the PW Audio No.5 cable in 4.4mm! Apparently, they had one pre-made in stock, so I paid extra for expedited shipping (around $200 total). Should be here this week.

Just curious, what IEM (under $1K) is everyone using as a complement to the Oriolus' full-bodied and warm signature? This is what's next on my list. Something with fast BA bass and high frequency extension and resolution.

Why not continue the hybrid route? A couple that come to mind are dn2000j or flc8s. I'd personally go with the latter.

May 6, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,091 of 1,871
Why not continue the hybrid route? A couple that come to mind are dn2000j or flc8s. I'd personally go with the latter.
I would prefer a detachable cable for balanced, since I mainly use AMP4 from my DX200.

I've actually owned the FLC8S for some time. Loved their Gold filter for vocals. I've heard the new FLC8N has better layering, separation, and treble extension as well. Might consider it, but there is also the FLC9 in June.

Concerning hybrids, the iBasso IT04 has me interested, but their lack of a release date is a test of patience. I actually bought the Oriolus because they announced they wouldn't make their April date...

Honestly, I'm considering the Hyla CE-5 now too, since they work in the same family and I can use the PW Audio cable with it. Much higher cost though... Wish more companies would offer a balanced plug option like the two mentioned above.

There's also the Campfire Andromeda which has good reviews, but it seems it would be the same warm signature? I need to look into it more.

May 6, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,092 of 1,871
I would prefer a detachable cable for balanced, since I mainly use AMP4 from my DX200.

I've actually owned the FLC8S for some time. Loved their Gold filter for vocals. I've heard the new FLC8N has better layering, separation, and treble extension as well. Might consider it, but there is also the FLC9 in June.

Concerning hybrids, the iBasso IT04 has me interested, but their lack of a release date is a test of patience. I actually bought the Oriolus because they announced they wouldn't make their April date...

Honestly, I'm considering the Hyla CE-5 now too, since they work in the same family and I can use the PW Audio cable with it. Much higher cost though... Wish more companies would offer a balanced plug option like the two mentioned above.

There's also the Campfire Andromeda which has good reviews, but it seems it would be the same warm signature? I need to look into it more.

Huh. From what I've read the Andromeda was a different signature vis a vis the Oriolus. With the Andromeda faring better in the highs and timbre. From my understanding these two would be the better complementary iems compared to the Hyla. Too bad I've missed out on a local used.

The It03 had pretty good resolution but the tuning left me disappointed especially the bass. The Oriolus is a definite step up from that hybrid.

May 6, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,093 of 1,871
ive had opportunities to try it04. i feel its still on the warmer bassier side of things and packs a good punch. definitely good in terms of sq but signature wise might not fit what youre looking for. andromeda is pretty close to flc8s on gold grey red, with slightly more bass (especially subbass) and better technicalities. didnt have long time to audition both though, so cant give a better comparison

May 7, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,094 of 1,871
I have both the Oriolus mk2 and Hyla. Hyla has even more bass (much nicer sounding than Oriolus Mk2 though) and don't think it is what you are looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back