Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Oct 19, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #496 of 1,871
  I bought these spontaneously at a recent meet -- and I NEVER buy anything spontaneously!
redface.gif
 I was looking for an IEM (ideally a hybrid) with a decidedly lush signature, full-bodied sound, smooth highs (I'm allergic to shrill treble and sibilance) and elevated bass, and it fit the bill so perfectly it was almost ridiculous. I have to admit that not only had I never heard an Oriolus before, but I had never really heard of Oriolus before. It just wasn't on my list at all. At the meet I got a chance to listen to Lime Ears Aether (I thought the bass boost was overdone -- absurd amount of bass when switched on, at least with my already bass-heavy music; also, treble wasn't smooth enough for my needs), CustomArt Harmony 8.2 (liked that one better; nice and warm, but it lacked that little something that might have swayed me over), Fidue Sirius (very full, voluminous sound -- that might have been my second choice), Fischer Amps Rapture (full sounding, but highs could be a bit too shrill on my Treble Terror Test Tracks; also, vocals sometimes sounded slightly veiled to me).

And then, out of the far left field, came Oriolus. What can I say, it just checked all my boxes. Bought it right on the spot after ten minutes of listening (just the kind of behavior I would usually advise against -- don't do this at home, kids!). One thing that the Oriolus taught me since then was that all the action is really in the mids. I always kind of neglected that part of the frequency range, just didn't place much importance on it. Since I have the Oriolus, I've really come to appreciate the midrange. And what a midrange it is: vocals sound glorious on Oriolus! It's almost a shame most of my music is instrumental, but it also adds body and "meatiness" to my Techno tracks and orchestral pieces as well. This is the opposite of thin-sounding.

I have to say though that this IEM is certainly not for everybody. It is indeed quite colored, so if you're looking for neutral, best look elsewhere. But if you're looking for lush and creamy, this might just be the ticket.

One thing irritates me though: if I press on the shells while wearing them and then let go, there is a very distinct clicking/popping noise coming from earpieces. Is that normal? It's not a big deal, I just haven't experienced it before and would like to make sure if it's to be expected. Since it's the same on both sides, I guess it is probably normal (something to do with the vent holes perhaps?), but I just thought I'd ask. Any input welcome. Thanks, guys, and glad to be on board!

It happens for me as well. I don't think its anything major. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #499 of 1,871
I believe it's the dynamic driver. Since there's a dynamic driver ventilation port, the pressure from pressing down on the IEM causes the driver's membrane to contract and relax, causing that crinkly sound. Happens to me on my hybrid IEM and asked the person who made it and gave me that explanation.

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #500 of 1,871
Great, that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the confirmation. Anyone know what's responsible for this, though? Just curious.

yes, it is the dynamic driver. look up for "driver flex" on google... it comes from the flex the driver membrane gets when the seal is too "good" :wink:

mine does that too and its usually nothing to worry about, it actually shows that the ear canal is sealed. However I don't like the sealing pressure or vacuum in the ear canal and some people here say, that driver flex might not be that good for the driver in the long run.

But, when having that vacuum, if you pull on your ears a bit, the sealing pressure will be released, you'll still have a good seal, but without pressure, hope that helps :wink: 

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #501 of 1,871
Hello
Sorry for interrupting the discussion on the Oriolus IEMs
I dont know another place where to put add like this. If there is a dedicated thread I would gladly move this post there.
Thanks everyone.

> I am looking for an individual who I met in Essen Germany during EU CanJam on September 26 2016.
You got an Oriolus from me on last day of the event. I dont have your contact info I lost it. 
if you are reading this post please PM me urgently.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Aufederzain

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #502 of 1,871
Was the Mellianus available to test at Fujiya Avic?

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #504 of 1,871
Whoa mama

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #509 of 1,871
I sold my original Oriolus some time ago and missed it ever since... now I got a V2 some 2-3 weeks ago. Still the perfect IEM for my taste, full bodied, very good midrange (something I've never bothered much with, but here its so beautiful that I digged out some vocal deep house tracks), impressive bass that is clean, has good punch without being overdone, reaches impressively deep and is just fun to listen to. Paired with excellent treble presentation that has enough sparkle and no harshness at all -- perfect.

Had a 5-day trip over the weekend and for the first time like forever I left the house with just one IEM (and no headphones) and one player (AK380). I can take them with me each and every time I go out, really enjoying the combo: small, lightweight and exceptional sound. What a luxury having that kind of quality on such a portable format.

I've recently had the opportunity to listen to the Mellianus and found it to have a similar sound signature to the Oriolus MK2, with a very nice bass that was quite impactful for a BA.

Their new player was there as well, funny interface reminiscent of a vinyl record player, even the tone arm moved and indicated the position in the track. build quality looked very good.

Mellianus:

An early prototype of a tube amp. Yes, not a hybrid. Runs ~20h on the battery pack used. Do you see the tubes?

Its the two light green spots in the above photo, one of them here:

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #510 of 1,871
  I sold my original Oriolus some time ago and missed it ever since... now I got a V2 some 2-3 weeks ago. Still the perfect IEM for my taste, full bodied, very good midrange (something I've never bothered much with, but here its so beautiful that I digged out some vocal deep house tracks), impressive bass that is clean, has good punch without being overdone, reaches impressively deep and is just fun to listen to. Paired with excellent treble presentation that has enough sparkle and no harshness at all -- perfect.

Had a 5-day trip over the weekend and for the first time like forever I left the house with just one IEM (and no headphones) and one player (AK380). I can take them with me each and every time I go out, really enjoying the combo: small, lightweight and exceptional sound. What a luxury having that kind of quality on such a portable format.

I've recently had the opportunity to listen to the Mellianus and found it to have a similar sound signature to the Oriolus MK2, with a very nice bass that was quite impactful for a BA.

Their new player was there as well, funny interface reminiscent of a vinyl record player, even the tone arm moved and indicated the position in the track. build quality looked very good.

Mellianus:

An early prototype of a tube amp. Yes, not a hybrid. Runs ~20h on the battery pack used. Do you see the tubes?

Its the two light green spots in the above photo, one of them here:

Could you go into a bit more detail on the differences in sound-sig between the MK2 and Mellianus? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back