Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Mar 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #347 of 796
I cant honestly answer that question because I had Obbligato Gold Premium long time ago but Obbligato could sound little bit softer but also little bit smoother overall. I have now only Audyn Reference and these are reaaaly great caps. I truly advice you to invest in these caps if you dont need high capacitance or can afford for bigger. Probably Audyn True Copper is even better but I didnt compare it head to head.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #348 of 796
thank you for reply
I am asking about Mundorf Evo / Oil because I need 82 uF to replace a nonpolar lytic cap In XO which Is In serie to midwoofer
I found Obbligato Premium Gold warm and lacking detail and bass control

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #349 of 796
You mean 8.2 uF? I just have exactly that capacitance of Evo Oil in Aluminium. Precision and detail should be better but there is a little bit of bass emphasis also so you must decide by yourself.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #350 of 796
82uF - It Is not very cheap
that Is why I ask how good Is Mundorf Evo Oil compared to other - Evo, standard MCap, Clarity Cap ESA, Obbligato
as I remember many found standard white MCap as a rugh sounding In low freqs - It Is not strange that Evo In Oil got It

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #351 of 796
Its not that bad. Its very good cap for price without sounding too plasticky etc. I liked it better than standard Mundorf Supreme which are overall highly praised. I would reccomend it for trying.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #352 of 796
Guys thanks a lot for an amazing thread :)

I ve built a DCB1 a few months ago and decided to add some coupling caps to protect by speakers, since my amp is DC coupled as well...

Finding this thread about a month ago I decided to give the K75-10 a try and after a recommendation from a  friend I got them on 2.2uF and bypassed them with a 0.1uF FT3.

The upgrade from my Mundorf Supremes was HUGE.

I liked it a lot, so I added the same combo on my phonoclone too.

Although the combination seemed to have a bit rounded mids and shy lows and highs. And the effect seems to add-up when using my phono.

Now after almost a month and about 50 hours, things have not changed significantly... And it started to itch a bit to "fix" it again, although the suggested break-in time for these is a whooping 200 hours...

What I am thinking is that both my amp and preamp have 220K input impedance, so going as low as 0,47uF would maintain a nice deep -3db filter while allowing the use of a single FT-3.

You guys think it will be a step up ditching the PIO for an all teflon setup?

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #353 of 796
Quote:
that Is why I ask how good Is Mundorf Evo Oil compared to other - Evo, standard MCap, Clarity Cap ESA, Obbligato
as I remember many found standard white MCap as a rugh sounding In low freqs - It Is not strange that Evo In Oil got It

I require 166uf and have also tried the Obligato Gold, these are OK in the lower end of the spectrum but fail in every aspect in the mid to high end to the point I do not think that these are MKP!  the smoothness just kills the airyness and transparency on the high end of the spectrum.
I had 50uf MKP made up by Erricsons almost 28yrs ago and they in 3X 150uf parallel blow these Obligato Gold out of the water.  And as a person that doesnt believe in burn-in, I have had them in the system in a preamp for at least 18mths and still no joy, before i moved them to the crossover!
Im no longer spending big bucks on glorified highly marketed "audio grade" caps that provide very little specs apart from the dimension of the size and range.  Time to try out some MKPs that are designed for motor runs!

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #354 of 796
Hey guys here is a epic review of many different capacitors which I have found very useful in the past. At the moment I am planning on building a bottlehead Crack so I am looking for some good output coupling capacitors. They are 100uf so I am looking for something that is reasonably  affordable. The Mundorf evo oil caps look very interesting to me. The standard Evo is supposed to be the successor to the RXF which was apparently quite good value for money.
Quote:
Its not that bad. Its very good cap for price without sounding too plasticky etc. I liked it better than standard Mundorf Supreme which are overall highly praised. I would reccomend it for trying.

Some more in depth comparison and info on how they sound would be great. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #355 of 796
No one seems to talk much about the Dayton audio caps. I've got a pair of .22uf as interstage couplers and thought about "upgrading". I'm into sterile precise detail.....any reason to swap them out, and if so, what to? The only ones on my wish list right now are the FT-3 in 200V...but they are huge and I don't want to end up doing a "degrade" either.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #356 of 796
Quote:
Guys thanks a lot for an amazing thread :)

I ve built a DCB1 a few months ago and decided to add some coupling caps to protect by speakers, since my amp is DC coupled as well...

Finding this thread about a month ago I decided to give the K75-10 a try and after a recommendation from a  friend I got them on 2.2uF and bypassed them with a 0.1uF FT3.

The upgrade from my Mundorf Supremes was HUGE.

I liked it a lot, so I added the same combo on my phonoclone too.

Although the combination seemed to have a bit rounded mids and shy lows and highs. And the effect seems to add-up when using my phono.

Now after almost a month and about 50 hours, things have not changed significantly... And it started to itch a bit to "fix" it again, although the suggested break-in time for these is a whooping 200 hours...

What I am thinking is that both my amp and preamp have 220K input impedance, so going as low as 0,47uF would maintain a nice deep -3db filter while allowing the use of a single FT-3.

You guys think it will be a step up ditching the PIO for an all teflon setup?

Hi Dimkasta,

I see your posts all the time over on the Shigaclone thread.  Nice to see you here.  I agree that you need a balance in "cap character", that the sound adds up and can go too far.  I would point out that changing the value of the cap can be just as important as changing the design.  If I understand your thought, you are considering going from a 2.2 uF main cap to as low as a 0.47 uF.  That change alone should make the high frequency brighten up some as the smaller cap has a higher resonance, even in the same design.  Changing the size of the bypass can also affect the sound balance.  For example, the 0.47 uF with a 0.1 uF might be on the bright side or less coherent.  Of course, the only answer is to try it.

As for teflon on teflon, go back a couple of pages in this thread and you will see where Jon L is using a V-Cap bypassed by an FT-1, so go for it.  It would definitely change the sound from the K75.

Jac

May 16, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #357 of 796
Quote:

It's a bit late but the evo oil caps have now been reviewed here.

[size=small]
"Sound: The compactly built Mundorf MCap EVO Oil is a big step up from the basic MCap EVO Aluminium and actually it is my personal favourite of the three EVO type's although it's more expensive brother, the EVO Silver Gold Oil, does still excel in fine, airy top-end detail. I found the MCap Evo Oil to do especially well on vocals, male and female voices come out well rendered and relatively natural sounding with a certain richness. Wind instruments (brass or wood) also sound convincing with the EVO Oil, they seem to have a natural edge to them. Image depth is another strong feature of the EVO Oil although not up to the high level of Mundorf's Supreme range. All in all the MCap EVO Oil seems to be the best overall performer of the EVO range unless you are into piano music - then the MCap EVO Silver Gold Oil scores lots of points for top-register clarity. Brighter than an Intertechnik Audyn Cap Plus that costs roughly the same but at the same time not as full sounding."[/size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #359 of 796
No, it goes across the cap. Looks like 2 caps in parallel.

Sorry to ask such a newbee question but,
how do you bypass a coupling cap? Does the bypass cap just go to ground?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back