Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Nov 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #331 of 796
I will add one thought to the bypass topic.  Recently, I've been using a 1 uF K75-10 bypassed by a 1 nF Amtrans polyprop because it was what was available and it is sounding very nice.  I have some FT-1s on order, but if you are looking to try a polyprop, the Amtrans is a really nice film/foil polyprop that is available in sizes up to 8.2 nF.  They tend to be $2 or $3 from PCX and the only problem is that they are radial caps, which is a lead challenge for big caps like the K75.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #332 of 796
Anyone tried Audyn Reference caps? I hear very little info about it. Reveiew at Humble site was very positive.
Maybe lower series of Audyn Plus would be good enough for me? Im asking because I need big caps - about 4uF at DAC outputs. Ive tested a lot of old caps, Russian MBGO, K75-24, Sprague in metal box (big), Siemens MKV etc. but havent tested any modern good quality caps.
I can only say that these big Sprague caps were the best for my tastes - gave great holographic sound and depth to music with good separation. They were only slightly creamy and lil softer sounding but I preferred it much more than MKV which sound dry in comparision and without that acoustic type of performance.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #335 of 796
Quote:
Anyone tried Audyn Reference caps? I hear very little info about it. Reveiew at Humble site was very positive.
Maybe lower series of Audyn Plus would be good enough for me? Im asking because I need big caps - about 4uF at DAC outputs. Ive tested a lot of old caps, Russian MBGO, K75-24, Sprague in metal box (big), Siemens MKV etc. but havent tested any modern good quality caps.
I can only say that these big Sprague caps were the best for my tastes - gave great holographic sound and depth to music with good separation. They were only slightly creamy and lil softer sounding but I preferred it much more than MKV which sound dry in comparision and without that acoustic type of performance.

Caveat.  My experience, plus that of my friends, is at a somewhat lower value, as DC blocking, input caps and about 1 uF.

I'm not sure what you mean by Audyn "Reference" caps.  I have personally compared Audyn True Copper to Mundorf ZN and Russian K71-4 styrene.  I have several friends who have compared them to many other caps.  One of those friends also tried the Audyn Plus caps.

The consensus is that the True Copper caps are a big favorite of this bunch (although our little group hasn't tried as many or as exotic as Jon L has in this thread).  I would describe them as not perfect but a very good balance, especially for a polyprop cap.  One of their strong suits is bass (in fact, I found them a little too strong for my system, but others found the bass just right).  The bass is full and strong and clear.  At the same time, the detail and imaging are excellent.  The detail and high frequency are equal to the K71 styrene, but without the cooler feel that the K71 provides.  The mid range of the ZN is stronger, warmer by a little, but the mid of the TC is still quite nice.  I would say that the TC is better balanced across the frequency range than the ZN.  Finally, the soundstage of the TC is very nice, both wide and deep.  I will warn that, you might find the TCs to be a little orientation sensitive.  I know that not everyone believes in cap orientation, but I would suggest a careful experiment might be worth your time with the TC.

For the Audyn Plus,  my friend says that he was very impressed for the money.  The detail and soundstage were quite good, although not quite as good as the TCs.  The bass was a little less and the overall sound a touch drier, but still quite nice.  They have one other advantage, if you are located in the US, Canada, etc.  Parts Express carries the Audyn Plus and you can get them quickly and for a low shipping cost.  If you want the True Copper or other higher end Audyn caps, you have to get them sent over from Europe.  That adds $30 or more to shipping and the stock of the high end caps is thin, even in Europe.  It usually takes 1 to 2 months, plus shipping, to buy these caps unless you are lucky and someone actually has them in stock.

Good luck in your search.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #336 of 796
Thank you. Looks like opinions regarding TC are similiar and show these are very good caps.
Regarding Reference I was thinking about these Audyns:

http://www.europe-audio.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=6194

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #337 of 796
Thanks.  Somehow, I had skipped over those in the humble review.  I was pretty close to trying the ClarityCap MR before deciding on the True Coppers.  The Reference sound like a nice alternative to the MR.  Have fun deciding.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #339 of 796
Hi guys, not sure if im asking in the right place.

t i recently made a diymod LOD with elna silmic II caps but forgot to make sure the long sided is soldered towards the dap, so theres a possibility of reverse polarity.

have used my diymod to an amp and then to my ciem for around a week before i remember i had to do that, but it was working fine.

Would it be possible that my gear would be damaged? Read that reversing the polarity would cause it to function as a resistor instead and now im kinda worried if there will be long lasting damage

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #340 of 796
I don't get quite as caught up in this as I use SS kit but noticed that bypassing is being mentioned. I'm not a huge fan because off how the bypass can make things less cohesive. I do use them but find that there is no set ratio or type that always works best. There's a synergism required and why I said I'm not a huge fan. It's gotten to where it's almost a requirement for some folks and the compromise may have been a better one without if what's there is already good. I like when it's done well if needed but be careful and listen for when it's not as cohesive and don't just listen for what gets better.

I tend to use smaller values that most when bypassing. Sometimes at an over 200-1 ratio as that's what will 'fix' what's there while not disturbing the whole. I also find voicing to be as/more important as the the absolute quality of the cap.

To the OP. Nice descriptions and making folks aware of this. Most if not all those caps won't change the basic specs of the amps used while some can sound radically different. The specnocrats should try this just once to understand you can't hear everything on a graph.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #345 of 796
     I heard Mundorf Evo Oil and these are very good for its price. Quite attractiv, direct sound with very good precision and quite good dynamics. plenty of space, very nice holographic possibilities. I like it more than much more expensive Mundorf Supreme. Also like it better than older types of russian caps because of that much better precision in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back