Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Mar 14, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #256 of 796
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I have the AmpOhm Copper P-I-O .22uF's, these are big and I had to raise my PCB and give up the flexibility to ever use an adapter for 7n7's tubes due to their circumfiance. But these caps are fantastic they have all the good qualities of the Clarity caps but much better, deeper, natural bass. If it weren't for this wonderful thread I would have never heard of them, they are truly fantastic caps.

It really is a shame AmpOhm company has closed its doors. I tried my best to spread the word, but it was too late I suppose.

BTW, you guys must have heard by now about the new VCap Copper Foil Teflon??

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #257 of 796
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really is a shame AmpOhm company has closed its doors. I tried my best to spread the word, but it was too late I suppose.
[/URL]

That is ashame this high end hybrid tube amp really shows the differences between caps, much more so than any other amp I've heard. It is designed so that the solid state buffer puts practically no load on the tube stage so all you hear is SE tube goodness and the cap.

The copper ampOhm's are way too big for their size and that may be why many didn't buy them, but forcing them to fit was the best decision I made for this amp.

I haven't tried the Mundorf SIO, I assume this is the next best thing now that AmpOhm is gone?

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #258 of 796
got some 0.1uf CuTF in the mail the other day, will be putting them in my active monitors, will report back once i've lived with them for a while, fantastic build quality as usual and this time there is UPOCC copper leadouts and air-filed teflon dielectric

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #259 of 796
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got some 0.1uf CuTF in the mail the other day, will be putting them in my active monitors

I imagine it will be hard to "hear" one cap if placed in a complicated, multi-part circuit..

Many VCap TFTF users are sure to spend some quality time comparing to CuTF and come to their own conclusions in the coming months.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #260 of 796
the actives are mainly being used for burn in really, the build I bought them for will not be ready for a little while. they will be input caps

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #261 of 796
Thanks to what i read on this thread, I just replaced my Conrad Johnson pv3 input caps with a couple of FT-3 teflon capacitors. There are still 2 capacitors in the line through the preamp that i am planning to replace as well.

On ebay, there are .47uf 200 volt FT-3 caps that the seller claims are good for 1000 volts. I am wondering if anyone has any information to verify or correct this claim.

I am hoping to use these for a feedback loop and for the exit capacitors on this preamp. The parts list for the CJ pv3 preamp specifies 250 volt capacitors.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #262 of 796
Quote:

Originally Posted by errnst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On ebay, there are .47uf 200 volt FT-3 caps that the seller claims are good for 1000 volts. I am wondering if anyone has any information to verify or correct this claim.

I am hoping to use these for a feedback loop and for the exit capacitors on this preamp. The parts list for the CJ pv3 preamp specifies 250 volt capacitors.

It's always dangerous to use caps spec'd below your equipment spec. But there are people who have tried running higher voltage through these caps than rated and reported no failures.

Only problem in trusting this 100% is the fact their experiment is not going to simulate your own equipment's unique environment, how long the exposure is, etc.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #264 of 796
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnylazer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
self deception doesnt really do this thread justice...
the main difference is "liquidity."
a bit richer and a smidge creamier.
omg WOW

What are you saying?

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #267 of 796
Well I have bad news to report on the Ampohm Copper P-I-O caps. After less than a month with 154V across as a coupling cap one of the pair would periodically leak a volt DC. This was a hybrid amp with a DC servoed buffer and luckily the E12 saved my headphones. It took a lot of troubleshooting to figure out what was going wrong. May be why ampohm ceased productions, but if you are using these without an e12 be careful.

Not sure if it was a fluke or not, the sound so good I really want to order a replacement to match the good one but maybe I should just switch to the Mundorf S_I_O.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #269 of 796
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using Obbligatos in the above mentioned hybrid amp..works great. Haven't really bothered to try other caps..

I had prior used theObbligatos , I found that this amp really shines with quality p-i-o, helps smooth a little with the complex passages. The KY40's and Jensen Aluminum are not good with this amp though. I'm going to bet I got a fluck bad cap and order a replacement AmpOhm, they sound incredible. They have the detail of the Obbligatos but help with the sharpness in the midbass.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #270 of 796
Thanks for the input regal.
But dang, those ampohms are spendy..Not going to get into it right now..
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back