Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Jun 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #286 of 796
The first pair arrived today. 
Man these are huge!! The Obbliggattos are puny in comparison. Going to switch them out, make sure outer foil is seeing the input (tube side) and going to burn them in for a good 100 hours in the amp before listening. Fortunately, I have another Stacker 2 to keep me occupied in the mean time 
wink_face.gif

Edit: Installed in the red Stacker 2..sounds pretty good off the bat but does sound a tad unrefined. Going to let it burn and settle in for a bit before critical listening. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #287 of 796
Hi Jon of anyone with an opinion,

I'm thinking of using K75-10's or K40y's in a XO for Yamaha ns-1000's. At the moment it's already equiped with MGBO (20 uF), K42Y (3,5 uF) and Sprague (2,7uF). My friends speakers are still original.

The question is about bypassing them. Which teflons should I use: FT-1, FT-3, K72?

Or do you have a complete other advise for a nice price. I checked the Ampohm's, but they are not cheap in these values.

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #288 of 796
hi guys
this  thread/shootout has been a great  asset  to me in narrowing down some choices of caps to try.
for me in most cases ive gone with the various ampohm caps as these have been so much more then the price asked for them in the gear i use and ive managed to squeeze them all in some how.
of course i was quite gutted to hear of there demise...but theres a light at the end of the tunnel,and it comes in the shape of a company called..
http://www.audiocap.co.uk/  this is where ive always brought my caps from,i have no connection/shares or vested intrest in this company,ive only been impressed by the service and product i have recieved from the owner matthew, anyway heres the light and a reply to a question i put to matthew....

quote..

Yes we will be continuing the production of the Ampohm capacitors, with the same materials, same design and same engineer. At this stage we have the paper-in-oil alu-foil and paper-in-oil copper-foil in production.

We are trying very hard to get the polyester-in-oil caps back into production (we receive two or three enquiries a day for these!) The process is being held up by a worldwide shortage of quality polyester film (materials shortages are causing EVERY cap manufacturer problems at the moment). In any case, we hope to have these back in production by September/October at the latest.

Best regards,

Matthew Campbell
GetInline.aspx

AudioCap Limited

i hope im not alone in thinking we need to keep these caps alive!!!
all the best smithie

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #289 of 796

Quote:
Hi Jon of anyone with an opinion,

I'm thinking of using K75-10's or K40y's in a XO for Yamaha ns-1000's. At the moment it's already equiped with MGBO (20 uF), K42Y (3,5 uF) and Sprague (2,7uF). My friends speakers are still original.

The question is about bypassing them. Which teflons should I use: FT-1, FT-3, K72?

Or do you have a complete other advise for a nice price. I checked the Ampohm's, but they are not cheap in these values.

For bypass in speaker XO, FT-1 would be fine.  You don't need the higher voltage rating of FT-3.  

Quote:
hi guys
this  thread/shootout has been a great  asset  to me in narrowing down some choices of caps to try.
for me in most cases ive gone with the various ampohm caps as these have been so much more then the price asked for them in the gear i use and ive managed to squeeze them all in some how.
of course i was quite gutted to hear of there demise...but theres a light at the end of the tunnel,and it comes in the shape of a company called..
http://www.audiocap.co.uk/  this is where ive always brought my caps from,i have no connection/shares or vested intrest in this company,ive only been impressed by the service and product i have recieved from the owner matthew, anyway heres the light and a reply to a question i put to matthew....

quote..

Yes we will be continuing the production of the Ampohm capacitors, with the same materials, same design and same engineer. At this stage we have the paper-in-oil alu-foil and paper-in-oil copper-foil in production.

We are trying very hard to get the polyester-in-oil caps back into production (we receive two or three enquiries a day for these!) The process is being held up by a worldwide shortage of quality polyester film (materials shortages are causing EVERY cap manufacturer problems at the moment). In any case, we hope to have these back in production by September/October at the latest.

Best regards,

Matthew Campbell
GetInline.aspx

AudioCap Limited

i hope im not alone in thinking we need to keep these caps alive!!!
all the best smithie

That's great news about Audiocap.co.uk.  Too bad about polyester, though.  Very nice caps those..

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #290 of 796
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the advise. I'm glad I already decided on those
beerchug.gif
. I've put a pair in my dac today. I looks like it gave some extra, but they have to settle in first.

In the xo, do I use them on my highs only, or on the mids and lows as well?

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #291 of 796
Jon, Have you ever tried bypassing with more than 2 caps? I'm thinking of bypassing the V-cap OIMP 4.7uf with Russian FT-3 0.47uf, but I found a pair of Jensen copper foil 0.056uf in my part bin. Just wondering if it'd be OK by bypassing the Vcap with the FT-3 and Jensen?

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #292 of 796

Quote:
Jon, Have you ever tried bypassing with more than 2 caps? I'm thinking of bypassing the V-cap OIMP 4.7uf with Russian FT-3 0.47uf, but I found a pair of Jensen copper foil 0.056uf in my part bin. Just wondering if it'd be OK by bypassing the Vcap with the FT-3 and Jensen?

I've tried it, but the main use for multiple bypasses is for really large caps usually, like those 47 uF power supply caps.  With OIMP and FT-3 bypass, I would personally go with a smaller FT-1 to bypass those b/c after a certain point, the various flavors of different types of caps can lead a really confusing sonic soup.  In addition, PIO's don't usually have the best extreme high-frequency characteristic useful for bypass IME,  but it doesn't cost anything to try different combo's and see what you like best, so go for it!

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #293 of 796
Does anyone have experience with Elna caps that are labeled "Onkyo Integra"? I am looking to replace my 4700uF 50V Nichicon KG (M) reservoir caps in the PSU and was wondering if a similarly specced Elna Onkyo Integra cap will be better for the duty and in what aspect. Also, how might the sound be affected?

Internals pic from a Onkyo A-925 for reference (15000uF 63V though):

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #294 of 796
Bump. Are the caps I'm asking about too "mundane" or is it just that the orgy is over?

Oct 26, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #296 of 796

Quote:
Those are relabel elna caps made for Onkyo,  so I doubt anyone has experience with them or even a datasheet.

So, would you reckon these are close to Cerafines or anything like that? The blue reminds me of the RE3 series though...

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #298 of 796
Has anyone tried to bypass a FT-3 (say .2uF) with a small KY40 (.033 uF) ?   I've heard going the other way around but I've got an interstage coupling cap application where I may try this.

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #299 of 796

Quote:
Has anyone tried to bypass a FT-3 (say .2uF) with a small KY40 (.033 uF) ?   I've heard going the other way around but I've got an interstage coupling cap application where I may try this.

I've tried something similar, but unless you think the FT-3 is too clean or hot in your system, adding the PIO bypass will only detract from the excellent teflon-cap extension..

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #300 of 796

[size=10.5pt]V-Cap CuTF (Copper Foil Teflon Film)[/size][size=10.5pt]Capacitor[/size]
vcapcutf.jpg

This is the new “reference” capacitor from VH Audio, utilizing cryo’d oxygen-Free high conductivity copper foil in Teflon film, finished with 18 AWG solid core high purity OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast) copper with VH Audio’s AirLok insulation.  The description spells “expensive,” and indeed the new CuTF capacitor is about 50% more expensive than the V-Cap TFTF (tin foil Teflon).   

Obviously, people would like to know if the CuTF is worth the surcharge over TFTF, and the short answer would be a resounding “it depends.”  First of all, these new V Caps sound nothing like any other capacitors I have tested so far, and I spent a lot of time comparing them to some of the best of the crop, including Aura-T teflons and V-Cap TFTF. 

There are two things that strike me the most about the new caps. 

Their sound has significantly more robust body compared to Aura-T or VCap TFT, giving you a more of an anchor around the mid-midrange, as opposed to more of upper-midrange/treble anchoring of Aura-T or TFT.  I know there are some people who feel  Teflon caps are "lean" in low-midrange/upper-bass area, which I don't really agree with.  However, with the new caps, one tends to realize how much more music resides in this area.  However, this does not mean this area is exaggerated or bloated like overcompensated  bass-reflex 2-way bookshelf speakers because linearity and transparency are excellent throughout all the ranges. 

The other thing that makes an impression is just how DETAILED these capacitors are.  Once again, combined with robust density, detail resolution is unparalleled, especially in the mid-midrange region.  Other capacitors that I love, including Mundorf silver-in-oil and AmpOhm PIO, just cannot compete with the amount of detail in these areas.  The good oils types tend to "massage" out recordings' rough edges slightly for beauty, but bad recordings have nowhere to hide with the new caps.  This also means top-notch recordings with top-notch equipment WILL show you things you've never heard before, so be careful with where you use these new caps.  With power comes responsibility, as they say.

There's no need to mention other usual parameters such as bass, dynamics, imaging, soundstaging, etc because these aspects are in line with what's best out there.  It's just that the special combination of extraordinary  body and resolution just does not exist anywhere else.  Another quality to note  is that unlike certain teflons and "audiophile" caps, there does not seem to be any *extra* sheen or highlighting of the uppermost frequencies to flatter dull recording/systems.  If your system has been tuned to sound just right around these more "flashy" caps, you may need to re-tune your system with the new VCaps in place, but the effort would be worth it.   

So should you rush out and throw out your previously favorite caps, perhaps even V-Cap TFTF to use the CuTF?  Well, if you don’t mind the expenditure and are curious, by all means try them.  However, all the caps discussed before, including TFTF, are still just as good and rewarding today as they were before, and the availability of CuTF does not diminish those other great caps. As with all things in audio, just realize that everything depends on overall system/room synergy and personal tastes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back