Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Apr 11, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #271 of 796
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input regal.
But dang, those ampohms are spendy..Not going to get into it right now..
tongue.gif

They are actually the least expensive p-i-o caps going, they quit making them so they won't be around for long.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #272 of 796
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have bad news to report on the Ampohm Copper P-I-O caps. After less than a month with 154V across as a coupling cap one of the pair would periodically leak a volt DC. T

Interesting. I haven't had any problems with the myriad of AmpOhms so far. What tends to cause problems is usually not the constant voltage but the higher turn-on transients and possibly temperature. Do you know what kind of turn-on transient voltage and temperature you are getting?

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #273 of 796
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I haven't had any problems with the myriad of AmpOhms so far. What tends to cause problems is usually not the constant voltage but the higher turn-on transients and possibly temperature. Do you know what kind of turn-on transient voltage and temperature you are getting?

B+ is only 300V's, turn on is pretty slow with the 5AR4 rectifier. The most it can swing with audio AC is 20V's. I think I just got a dud, I ordered a replacement. Since this amp has a SS buffer w/ DC offset nulling servo it is very sensitive to any DC leakage from the coupling caps, my only concern is this problem is more widespread with these caps and no one has noticed.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #274 of 796
You know, it looks to me like AmpOhm is back in production. I googled "ampohm" and found an apparently active manufacturer's site, including contact info and product lists. In addition, I found AmpOhm retailers, too, including digi-key.

Also, found an article on Electronicstalk titled, "Cornish component maker resurrected by GSPK". Article dated 2006.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #275 of 796
Hello Jon L

I d'like to replace the input capacitor (2.2uf) in my amplifier: what high quality choice do you recommand me?

K75-10 with vcap teflon or a new product like mundorf, obbligato, ampohm or duelund etc...???

The v cap teflon is the best choice for K75-10 or the results are also good with russian teflon caps?

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #276 of 796
Has anyone tried any of Modwright Instruments caps?

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #277 of 796

Quote:
Hello Jon L

I d'like to replace the input capacitor (2.2uf) in my amplifier: what high quality choice do you recommand me?

K75-10 with vcap teflon or a new product like mundorf, obbligato, ampohm or duelund etc...???

2.2 uF caps will be huge for those like mundorf SIO, ampohm, duelend.  Unless you have huge room to work with, polypropylene caps from Obbligato, Dynamicap, Jantzen, etc will more likely fit in the space.  These sound good also..

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #278 of 796

Quote:
Has anyone tried any of Modwright Instruments caps?

I've been very curious about these as well, too bad they wouldn't fit in my preamp.  Instead I'll stick with my Sonic Cap Platinums.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #280 of 796

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using Obbligatos in the above mentioned hybrid amp..works great. Haven't really bothered to try other caps..

I had prior used theObbligatos , I found that this amp really shines with quality p-i-o, helps smooth a little with the complex passages. The KY40's and Jensen Aluminum are not good with this amp though. I'm going to bet I got a fluck bad cap and order a replacement AmpOhm, they sound incredible. They have the detail of the Obbligatos but help with the sharpness in the midbass.

K just about getting ready to try these ampohms..but think i can only spring for the Tin foil ones..the copper ones are nearly 75% more.. Is the copper foil version really that much better?

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #281 of 796

Sachu the reason I bought the copper is because the Jenson Aluminum foil sound terrible vs their copper,  the copper AmpOhms were cheaper than the copper Jensons so I chose Copper AmpOhms and am very pleased.   My guess is aluminum is a big step down on p-i-o caps but I can't say for sure.

Quote:
K just about getting ready to try these ampohms..but think i can only spring for the Tin foil ones..the copper ones are nearly 75% more.. Is the copper foil version really that much better?

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #282 of 796
Regal..you mentioned that you had tried the obbligattos..could you please mention how the ampohms are sperior..what exactly did they improve over the other?

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #285 of 796
Cool..thanks regal..This is promising...does it take away the openess and detail retrieval in the highs? I must say i never found my system lacking in the midrange..quite the contrary i must say..but this is probably down to me using real headphones (aka planars) unlike the grados 
very_evil_smiley.gif

But still, if it means even better midrange..wow ..this is going to be exciting.

seems they have had to delay my order cause they are out of the copper foil caps..looks like i'll have to wait a coupleof weeks..but upside is they promise me very closely matched pairs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back