Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Jan 9, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #586 of 796
I noticed these 100uf 250V Audiophiler capacitors the other day for $14.50 with free shipping with 3% tolerances on the face of it they look decent enough and inexpensive enough for a big film cap to be worthy of a try in the future. I have brought quiet a bit off of the Aliexpress site over the last 12 months and the only problem I have experienced was once a pair of rubber knee patches turned up when I was expecting some capacitors I was quickly given a full refund by the seller. I chuckled at the thought that who ever was expecting the rubber patches might have received my capacitors.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1PC-Axial-Polypropylene-250V-100uF-Audiophiler-MKP-Capacitor-Vintage-Tube-Amplifier-Speaker-Circuit-Crossover/326582_32229590718.html

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #587 of 796
I tried a pair of those Audiophilers in an RA1 clone and they were pretty terrible, the Mundorf MCaps and Claritycap ESAs were way better in the same circuit. They are pretty cheap though, and a nice option for power supply duty, but for the audio path i would pay the extra $10 for those Claritycaps.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #588 of 796
Hi Mark interesting info thanks I am expecting a care package next week I couldn't just resit having a bid
rolleyes.gif

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231438541917?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #589 of 796
99p lol, you didnt have much competition did you
normal_smile .gif
  ...they have an interesting terminal style, should make for some easy mounting on nylon standoffs.

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #590 of 796
lol no I was really surprised I was the only bidder my maximum bid was set somewhat higher and I do feel a bit guilty about winning them but am in discussion to purchase a few more at a higher price from the seller.   I have the spec sheet for them and the terminals are actually tin plated solid copper .  

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #591 of 796
Can someone tell me how to replace the caps on the Crack with 100uF 250v Film Caps? Does it have polarity? Also, if I wanted to add more wire to it to extend it, does it matter what color wires I'm using?

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #592 of 796
Can someone tell me how to replace the caps on the Crack with 100uF 250v Film Caps? Does it have polarity? Also, if I wanted to add more wire to it to extend it, does it matter what color wires I'm using?

Orientation and wire color don't matter with film caps. Securing them to the chassis is the the most challenging part. Enjoy!

Caveat: if you hook up the inner foil of the cap towards the output, you theoretically minimize noise, but personally I cant hear a difference.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #593 of 796
Orientation and wire color don't matter with film caps. Securing them to the chassis is the the most challenging part. Enjoy!

Caveat: if you hook up the inner foil of the cap towards the output, you theoretically minimize noise, but personally I cant hear a difference.

Thank you for that reply. Now I can finally begin the process. Sorry, I'm a total newbie with film caps. What part of the cap would be the inner foil?

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #594 of 796
  Thank you for that reply. Now I can finally begin the process. Sorry, I'm a total newbie with film caps. What part of the cap would be the inner foil?

Unless you have a oscilloscope to test a general rule of thumb observed from looking at the expensive capacitors where inner out foils are identified is the signal flows from left to right in the same direction as when looking at the text on the labelling of the capacitor.  It really shouldn't matter in the Crack so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #595 of 796
This thread on bh expands on jamie's post above and describes how you can test it by putting ac across the cap. http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=2366.0

A guy near the end also indicates that he spoke with solen and was told that the longer lead is outer foil.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #597 of 796
In the last couple of months I have been playing around with a bunch of Russian capacitors the K71-4, the MBM, FCH, MBGO-2, K40Y9, K72P-6, K73-16 and K73-11. In that time I have been visiting this thread quite a bit for information so I decided I should make a nice post about my experiences as some of these caps have not been mentioned yet. I have used these capacitors in a variety of applications; as input coupling caps in a modified Musical Fidelity A3-CR, in the crossover of my speakers, and inside a pre-amp which I am working on.

Input Capacitors

Clarity cap SA (10uf) Mundorf Supreme (1uf) and Vishay MKP1837 (0.01uf)

The combination of Clarity Cap SA and Mundorf Supreme is something Tony Gee of humble home made hifi suggests. I had these capacitors inside another amp which is why I gave these a try (I had them laying around anyway). Of course this was quite an improvement over the original Teapo capacitor. Overall this combination of capacitors is dark and lush sounding. While they did represent a big improvement over the Teapo capacitors this combination of capacitors is beaten in every way by the capacitors I experimented with after.   

Russian MBM (1uf) paper in wax capacitor with Rifa PHE840 (8.2uf) film and foil polypropylene

This is a very interesting combination of capacitors which was suggested to my by a friend. It represents great bang for buck in a small package. Immediately I was amazed at how different the amplifier sounded first of all there was an openness to the sound which cannot be achieved with the Clarity Cap which sounds closed and congested in comparison. It became possible to easily pinpoint each instrument separately, each instrument now had air around it; breathing room. There was also a definite increase in tonality or timbre making the overall sound more natural. The highs are relatively smooth and have good extension, here too everything sounded more realistic. Overall this is a very good combination especially for the money. The only thing I have against it is that the low bass notes are just not very prominent with this combination. In quality of the bass is good but things are just a bit forward sounding, bass really remains in the background while not having much body. To add some lushness I tried adding a the 1uf Mundorf Supreme cap but this made everything sound more congested and more localised to the speakers. This made me remove the Mundorf caps again.

MBM (1uf wax) and Rifa PHE840 (8.2uf film and foil polypropylene)

K71-4 (10uf polystyrene)

The K71-4 are great capacitors. My experience with them was rather interesting. Previously whenever I have replaced components there have always been positive and negative effects. With the K71-4 this is not the case. When I installed them everything got better. They do their job without ever drawing attention to themselves. These capacitors do not seem to add anything to the music which makes it easy to forget that they are there at all. Compared to the combination of MBM and PHE840 these capacitors do everything the previous caps do right but improve things in a few important places. Overall these capacitors sound very neutral to me, perhaps slightly forward but this is a matter of taste. Highs and lows have great extension while the music becomes more detached from the speakers. These caps bring the sound into the room much more than the previous combination of capacitors. I consider the bass of the caps to be one of their strong points. I find that they strike a good balance between being punchy while also retaining enough body and lushness. Another advantage of this capacitor is that it is smoother sounding than many of the teflon capacitors. The leading edges of sounds are not as sharp, the transients seem more natural. It is however not as transparent as some teflon capacitors when I added a K72P-6 (0.01 uf) the sound became much more transparent while soundstage and detail were improved. The combination of K71-4 and K72P-6 is very good but also more forward sounding and slightly sterile. This made me add the 1uf MBM capacitors to this combination which gives everything just made everything more organic. It gave the sound a bit more body while reducing the forwardness while keeping the great transparency, detail, and soundstage. 

After quite a bit of experimentation I ended up with a 10uf K71-4, 0.25uf MBM 700v and 0.1uf K72-6P. The input impedance of my amp is 31K; I might still mess around with this a bit.

K71-4 next to the Teapo NP which it replaced. These things are HUGE!!

K71-4's inside the Musical Fidelty A3-CR mounted on wooden struts.

MBGO-2 (2uf)

I tried these briefly in parallel with the PHE840. They are incredibly spacious, more so than any capacitor I have listened to, the sound seemed completely detached from the speakers. They are also extremely warm lush sounding bass is bloomy but not uncontrolled.

FCH (0.25uf) Teflon

I have used these in a very simple passive pre amp which I have built. I have been using it for a couple of weeks now so the caps must be burned in by now. The amp I built only has six components on each channel. There are only two caps on each channel and both of those are FCH caps. I did experiment with one FCH and one MBM but ended up just using the FCH caps. What I cans say is that the FCH is the type of capacitor which is able pull off a disappearing act; its sound signature is very neutral. It is transparent, open, and spacious in these departements it is probably close to, or on the same level as the K72-6P. They are also very confident sounding bass is nicely controlled. Last another plus is that these are relatively inexpensive at 3USD a piece. I have not seen any of a different value than 0.25uf though.

The MBGO-2 and FCH capacitors

Crossover

My speakers are a called the LBS (low budget speaker) designed by Tony Gee. While these are called 'low budget' they are pretty good. I spent about 600 euros building them and I am not frequently impressed when I walk into hifi shops. Anyway, inside these there is a crossover which uses a zobel network, to save on parts cost of course. You can have a look at the design here. I did not originally intend to start messing with the corssover but once I realised how good and cheap these Russian NOS I started experimenting. I surprised myself with how much things have improved. 

K73-11 (2.2uf) PETP/terephthalate

I used these terephthalates to parallel with the 3.3uf Jantzen Audio Superior Z-Cap in the signal path of the tweeter which brought quite an improvement to the speakers. The most noticeable thing is that the sound opened up, there just seemed to be a lot more air between instruments. There was also an increase in treble detail while it also became more extended. I am happy with the amount of detail form the speakers, which has increased without the speaker becoming overly analytical. The most surprising improvement was in the lower end of the spectrum. Before the bass had a tendency to sound quite boxy but this was somewhat alleviated. The sound signature of the speakers did become a tad more forward after this modification but this was later corrected when I worked on the crossover some more.

K73-16 (22uf) PETP/terephthalate

Because of the success I had with the K73-11 I bought some K73-16 caps (also PETP) as these come in the large 22uf value I needed to replace the Jantzen Audio Cross Cap in the crossover. Overall the sound became much smoother, before the sound seemed to have a bit of a harshness to it. The Jensen Cross Caps also seem to really emphasise the 'S' and 'T' quite a bit. This problem was gone after adding the K73-16. Another positive effect was that the sound brought more into the room. Further the K73-11 also gave me increased insight into the mids while getting rid of more of the boxynes.The negative points of these caps are that the lower mids are a bit recessed and the bass is quite thin compared to the Cross Cap. Overall, although they are extremely transparent I would say these caps are also quite forward and a bit cold sounding. As reported on this thread bypassing these with a K72-6P works quite well.

K40Y9 (0.22uf) Paper in Oil

I have tried to use the K40Y9 as a bypass cap in several places on the K73-16 and K71-4. While I was not sure if this experiment would yield the desired results I tried it anyway. I had the K40 in my system for several weeks but in the end I decided not to use it. While it certainly has a very musical character actually using it seems to be difficult as there are a few tradeoffs with this cap. Mainly it just does it works really well for basically any kind of instrumental music but with most modern music it does not provide you with a sense of control. Also problematic is that somehow it just does not seem to mix well with other capacitors. Using these as a bypass has just not worked well. The sound signature of system always seems off balance when I use them.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #598 of 796
I nubie in DIY...what I did just tube, caps rolling.:)

I saw lot of people do bypass capacitor, what is the purpose?

Correct me please, by pass mean put other capacitor paralel with existing caps?
What is the rule of value of bypass caps? let's say existing caps is 0.22uf/600 , what bypass caps value for that caps?

thanks

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #599 of 796
Hi Jazzwave, bypassing is a bit of a controversial subject. There are many people who prefer not to do it at all. There are also many people who use 100th of the value of the cap they are bypassing to parallel as a rule of thumb. This has worked quite well for me on some occasions. However, in the end it is all down to experimentation. While the value of the caps is one thing some caps just don't like to mix. This is what is so great about these NOS Russian caps for me. They are really cheap and really good so you can buy them and experiment.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #600 of 796
Hi Jasper,

I'm glad to hear that you are having fun trying caps and especially with the Russians.  I am particularly glad to hear your thoughts on the MBM caps.  I had bought some small ones a while ago, but haven't gotten around to trying them yet.  From your experience, it sounds like they may be a nice flavor to add to certain recipes.

I share your enjoyment of the K71-4 and use them in my crossover today.

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back