Orgy of Capacitors: The Cap Thread
Oct 24, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #571 of 796

How much space and what voltage? These 89uf 250v +/-  2.5% Epcos worked well for me .

thank you for support but space Is very limited - 30 x 70

Samoloko, Pelopidas said it all

But the biggest problem with the K75 was in the lack of highs, not so much on the lows. In fact I would call them rather sweet and darkish. And no amount of bypassing fixed things me (in fact I hate bypassing signal caps altogether). What is your amp's input impedance? Perhaps you need a bigger value.

For 22K amp, I found that 10uF had a very distinct effect for the lows with all the speakers I have tested.

I tryed  K75-10 2.2 uF at DAC output coupling after DAC there Is 20 K pot, UGS v3, and finally F5 with 100 K Input Impedance

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #573 of 796
Any chance anybody knows the differences between the various Russian box caps?

I'm looking for 2.2uf or larger and there seems to be a bewildering array of variants from K73P-2, MBGO, MBGC, MBGCH, MBGP, MPGP, KBG-P, OMBG, OKBG, Green ones, Brown ones, Silver ones, square ones, thin ones.  Sheez.

Anybody?

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #574 of 796

Hi Mark, I remember seeing a couple of pages on the net on a different forum (I will take a look later see if I can find the site) that match the codes against construction type.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #575 of 796
From this link sorry I forgot

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=898

K15-4 Ceramic HV "doorknobs"
K15-5 Ceramic HV Disc

K31 Silver Mica "kidney bean" style cap

K40P-2B Paper in Oil, 5% tol.
K40U-9V Paper In Oil , Silver body, 10% tol.

K41-1A PIO, High Voltage "Pulse" caps

K42U-2 PIO, green painted body (K75 are better)

K50 Aluminum Electrrolytic

K71-7V Polystyrol "High Tolerance" 1% or 2% tol.

K72P-6 Teflon Dielectric 5% tol. (see example below)

K73-14 PETP High Voltage
K73-15 PETP / Dry Mylar
K73-16 PETP / Dry mylar
K73P-4 "tub " style AC capacitors (may be paper or mylar, still TBD)

K74 HV caps

K75 Polyprop In Oil

K75-10 PIO, Green body (these are the prime quality PIO)
K75-15 PIO, High Voltage "tub"
K75-17 PIO High Voltage "tub"
K75-24 PIO Green body tubular (see example below)
K75-28 PIO High Voltage "tub"

BMT-2 Paper In Oil

FGT High Voltage Teflon Dielectric, Ceramic body (almost beer can size)

FT-1 Teflon Military Grade glass sealed, aluminum body (smallerst)
FT-2 Teflon Military Grade glass sealed, aluminum body
FT-3 Teflon Military Grade glass sealed, aluminum body (largest)

KBG PIO (no, this isn't the KGB, they're a different entity altogether)

KBI HV "doorknob" RF / Transmitting cap

KSO Silver-Mica "precision" caps

MBG Paper-Aluminum "tub" AC caps

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #578 of 796

Trying out some paper in wax Ampohms in my BH Sex

What it previoust caps in BH SEX ? Please share your impression after upgraded to paper in wax Ampohms

regards
~ron~

Hi Ron

The stock caps were I believe standard Solen films and some inter-stage polyesters (no markings) and sonic wise where already very good the first thing I tried was bypassing them with some Jantzen Supremes which I had in my parts box this actually worked amazingly well and  I was actually very impressed with the difference they made, particularly increased resolution and smoothness.

The Ampohms were a spur of the moment ebay purchase at a significant discount to the retail price while they do not quite give quiet the same depth of resolution the Jantzens added they have improved timber and tone, mid range vocal presentation has been the most noticeable difference with more body and is beautifully textured which is much more to my personal taste. I am hoping they will improve further with further play time. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #579 of 796
I plan to buy Ampohms for my Cayin A70, but in the middle change to Mundord MCap Supreme after read this link
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Got 4 pieces MCap Supreme for $48, I wish I will hear improvement from stock caps
I'm still curious with Ampohms caps sound

~ron~.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #580 of 796
K75 are great in some systems.  But there is definitely a measure of luck to make it work.

As others have said, it depends on the system and how you are applying it.

I recently did a coupling cap (1.0 uF) comparison recently that included Mundorf Silver-Oil, Supreme, Rike S-Cap, and a bypassed K75-10 using a 1 nF Amtrans AMCH bypass.  This particular exercise also included another cap at a low frequency roll-off position.  Different combinations worked best together, but the bypassed K75-10 held it's own with these other choices.  In the end, the Silver-Oil and Rike had more detail and sparkle at the top, but the K75 can work well when the rest of the system filled in the top end.  I also like using them for bass speakers when you have an active crossover.  My current project is a pair of LXmini speakers with a DSP crossover.  The coupling cap on the bass speaker amplifiers will be K75 with bypass.

In a passive crossover, I am using a combination of 2.2 and 4.7 uF in parallel to make a 30 uF cap for a bass speaker crossover.  I agree that the big steel post K75's (2.2 and 4.7) are not as good as the copper lead K75s (1 uF and smaller), but that combination of K75s in my crossover were better than Obbligato Gold and Audyn Plus in that position.

I do agree with the comments that a smaller bypass is often better.  In my coupling cap K75 I'm at a 1:1000 ratio.  I've tried 3 nF (1:333) and a 0.01 uF (1:100) and both of them hurt the bass and made the  combination sound bright.

I also agree that one needs to be very patient with teflon, especially the old Russian caps.  I've tried polypropylene (Amtrans and ERO), polystyrene (K71-4 and K71-7), teflon (FT-1), paper-in-oil (K40Y-9), and paper-in-wax (BM-2) as bypass caps.  In my opinion, it is better to use a small cap of a similar material to the big cap in a bypass role rather than a material that is very different.  The 2 paper caps and the polypropylene caps seem to be a good match for a darker hybrid paper-in-oil like the K75 or K40 big cap.  The styrene and teflon didn't seem to integrate well.  The size of the cap is just as effective at improving the high frequency as the material, maybe more so.

I hope everybody has fun playing.  I do.  I haven't gotten around to getting the K73-16 that you guys have recommended, but it's on the to do list.

Jac

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #583 of 796
I'm looking for some Dayton 100uF 250V Film Caps. I found these for 75% off. The site looks fishy though, has anyone purchased from them before?

http://www.andrestroya.com/new2015capacitors9.php/dayton-audio-dmpc100-100uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor-p-11294.html

Thanks,

James

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #584 of 796
  I'm looking for some Dayton 100uF 250V Film Caps. I found these for 75% off. The site looks fishy though, has anyone purchased from them before?

http://www.andrestroya.com/new2015capacitors9.php/dayton-audio-dmpc100-100uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor-p-11294.html

Thanks,

James

Hi James I noticed they want to ne paid with iTunes gift cards which looks very fishy, nice price for the Daytons I am tempted.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #585 of 796
"iTunes gift cards" What lol

I posted a link a few pages back for ClarityCap PX 250v 100uf from Partsconnexion for $25 each, seems a good deal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back