ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
May 14, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #1,246 of 1,288
Well, that doesn't sound like a flaship-killer to me. What you mean with low end hump with midbass valley, is it like big sub bass with smaller midbass that doesn't interfere with mids/highs?
ora.JPG

May 14, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #1,248 of 1,288
Well, that doesn't sound like a flaship-killer to me. What you mean with low end hump with midbass valley, is it like big sub bass with smaller midbass that doesn't interfere with mids/highs?
Looking at the auto EQ on Wavelet for the GrapheneQ it shows a needed correction down by approximately 7db at around 100Hz, and up by approximately 5.5dB at around 400Hz, otherwise pretty spot on the Harman target. These sound quite good without EQ, tough I do like them even better with the Auto EQ.

I should say they sound better in BT rather that wired mode. The onboard DSP tunes the sound quite nicely compared to wired active mode.

Yes, the headband is... atrocious. Simply too short for anything but smaller heads. One way to improve this is to install pads with larger opening - I did this with Brainwavz pads. Helped quite a bit.

(Edit). Also, the build is pretty poor. Lots of plastic.

Are these flagship killers. In a word - No (in my opinion). Build and comfort are dicey. Quality has been problematic for some (I also had problems... solved by, I kid you not, banging the left ear cup). But where it really counts, how they sound, they really are quite nice, and hopefully Ora will build something even better on this.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,249 of 1,288
Thank you for sharing this. Looking at the graphs, this headphone looks like a pass for me.
I have a few headphones - Sundara, Elex, Phantom, Tygr, HE560, Eikon, Panda, Aeon Flow Closed, Aeon Noire... to name a few. The GrapheneQ is going to stay...

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #1,250 of 1,288
I have a few headphones - Sundara, Elex, Phantom, Tygr, HE560, Eikon, Panda, Aeon Flow Closed, Aeon Noire... to name a few. The GrapheneQ is going to stay...
Would you say that the there is something about the bass of ORA that is unique or unmatched by other headphones? The unique bass quality is great enough to offset the unusual (or some would say, downright ugly) frequency response and make you decide that the ORA is going to stay?

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,252 of 1,288
I use my GQ's for hours every day and I'm still mad about them. I have a fairly big head and don't find them uncomfortable. Their musicality is what sets them apart imo. Once I was used to the GQs, I just couldn't enjoy the other headphones I've been able to experience.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #1,254 of 1,288
Overall they are comfortable for me for ~2-3 hour listening sessions, and I have an average size head but large-ish ears.

With a bit of EQ they are really enjoyable, detailed, and well-balanced, and provide respectable imaging and soundstage. No, not a Flagship killer, but very respectable given the price.

Yes, the build quality could be better overall. The vertical pivot/articulation of the yokes is poor, the headband padding is not so great (but comfortable enough for me), the weak point of the magnesium headband extension/yoke stems is questionable, and the touch gesture control is finicky, etc.

I'm also not a fan of plastic simulated woodgrain. But some inexpensive 3M vinyl wrap in your preferred color or design is an easy fix for this.

We have to keep in perspective that these were a Kickstarter/Indiegogo crowd-funded endeavour, using a new and unique technology, by a startup that hadn't produced headphone products before. So what should any of us honestly have expected?

Ultimately, for ORA Sound, it was a cost-effective way to conduct a proof-of-concept (& technology) experiment using an extremely popular product category, which could then be applied to wider reaching lucrative market segments and contracts, such as OEM HDTV manufactures and OEM automotive audio systems, Bluetooth speakers, budget to high-end loudspeaker manufacturers, Motorola-type portable 2-way "walkie-talkie" radio speakers, etc.

Given the price I paid (IIRC ~$260 USD for each), I'm very pleased with them. They incorporate many convenience features that few others offer at that price point. And they are very pleasant to listen to IMO, and even better with a touch of selective EQ.

I liked them well enough to sell my 1st Gen Beyerdynamic T1 and 250-ohm DT-880 Premiums, so take what you will from that.

EDIT: And IMO, with EQ, they clearly sound better via a direct wired connection rather than BT. But this may also depend somewhat on which codec your BT playback source is using to transmit the wireless audio.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,257 of 1,288
Considering the reasonable cost, I would like to give the GrapheneQ a try, but it is not clear when they would actually become available. Any insight, anyone? Thanks

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,258 of 1,288
Considering the reasonable cost, I would like to give the GrapheneQ a try, but it is not clear when they would actually become available. Any insight, anyone? Thanks
I don’t think we can expect a new run of the Kickstarter Cans. They have finished the delivery to backers for about a year+ (minus a few stragglers) and subsequently they were very quiet about the next moves until they announced their seed series funding.

It appears that they are still focused on getting their partnerships together with a portfolio of companies that can help them scale out their membrane into a large catalog of existing/large brands. I’ve always been of the opinion that this is the best path for them and remain excited for the next thing they release.

Sep 12, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,259 of 1,288
I don’t think we can expect a new run of the Kickstarter Cans. They have finished the delivery to backers for about a year+ (minus a few stragglers) and subsequently they were very quiet about the next moves until they announced their seed series funding.

It appears that they are still focused on getting their partnerships together with a portfolio of companies that can help them scale out their membrane into a large catalog of existing/large brands. I’ve always been of the opinion that this is the best path for them and remain excited for the next thing they release.
Thanks. Will wait patiently for the new release.

Oct 10, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #1,260 of 1,288
Mind if I ask where these measurements came from? I’ve been thinking to send my pair to oratory1990 to get them measured for his eq stuff but I haven’t gotten around.

This graph is pretty far from the Ora posted measurements, which drives my curiosity
This is Oratory's measurement. I'm not sure which one you're looking at, maybe the bluetooth DSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back