ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Oct 20, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #1,203 of 1,288
Anyone have any issues with the headband popping out of place?

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,205 of 1,288
You can't see it but I can feel it under the padding.
If you feel along the band on the left side you can feel a clear separation, it's on the right as well but not as pronounced.
PXL_20201021_011933999.jpg

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #1,206 of 1,288
You can't see it but I can feel it under the padding.
If you feel along the band on the left side you can feel a clear separation, it's on the right as well but not as pronounced.
PXL_20201021_011933999.jpg

Are you sure you’re not feeling the edge of the thick metal slider pieces? As circled here:

288B0109-21C7-43F9-BFAA-E9492A2FE240.jpeg

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #1,207 of 1,288
Yep it's a bracket of some sort, iirc there's a spring design in the headband. I think it covers the springs but I've never seen the band apart so I can't say for sure.

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,208 of 1,288
Disassembled the band a little but I don't think I can get to the isuue without being kind of destructive so I guess I'll just have to live with it for now.

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #1,209 of 1,288
Disassembled the band a little but I don't think I can get to the isuue without being kind of destructive so I guess I'll just have to live with it for now.

The headphones come with a warranty. Have you tried contacting Ora?

Nov 8, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,210 of 1,288
The headphones come with a warranty. Have you tried contacting Ora?
My brother bought my set along with his and his bluetooth module has been spotty and Ora has been pretty non responsive according to him. I can try my luck as well though.

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,211 of 1,288
This thing uses a CSR 8675 SoC. A known issue (to me at least) is that it can crash resulting in "dead behavior". On the Kickstarter page a couple of people complain about their Ora not responding anymore or not charging. I'm willing to bet 95% of those issues can be resolved, al be it temporarily, by disconnecting the battery.
I own 3 different no-name/lesser-known Bluetooth receivers with a CSR 8675. They all exhibit this behavior. They don't respond to the buttons nor do any of the LED's light up when the charger is connected. The 'simple' solution is to disconnect the power and battery.
In case of the Ora I would suggest to mod a micro switch in between the positive of the battery. This way you can reset the damn thing with just a push of a button, instead of unscrewing 12 screws and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. This bug/issue generally occurs when you press the power button too often. I presume the CSR 8675 is unable to register a change state fast enough resulting in a crash.

I use this case btw:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01IZ9ZJ9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very happy with it.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #1,212 of 1,288
It’s probably about time for some of us to chime in with Long term use thoughts: I think I really like these things. The tuning seems like it’s going to hold up well over time.

They are quite visceral, in a very good way. I regularly find myself being very engaged when I listen to these. I tend to reach for them quite often, which I wasn’t expecting due to early impressions.

I am considering some kind of aptx-HD source device that integrates easily with apple devices.

net net, I think they’re truly deserving of the price, considering the competition. I hope the company finds a great path for scaling back this material breakthrough. And I commend them on their bold yet very reasonable/forward-thinking approach to tuning.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,213 of 1,288
It’s probably about time for some of us to chime in with Long term use thoughts: I think I really like these things. The tuning seems like it’s going to hold up well over time.

They are quite visceral, in a very good way. I regularly find myself being very engaged when I listen to these. I tend to reach for them quite often, which I wasn’t expecting due to early impressions.

I am considering some kind of aptx-HD source device that integrates easily with apple devices.

net net, I think they’re truly deserving of the price, considering the competition. I hope the company finds a great path for scaling back this material breakthrough. And I commend them on their bold yet very reasonable/forward-thinking approach to tuning.

Still loving my set as well. Comfortable, versatile, great isolation, and they sound great to me. Out of the box, they still have a bit of exaggerated bass depending on the music, and are lacking just a tad on the higher "airyness" frequencies (for my preferences), but nothing that a bit of careful PEQ can't remedy.

Mine have held up fine so far, but I can't say that I've been particularly rough with them. And yes, for the Kickstarter/Indiegogo price they are a good value IMO. IIRC I paid about $261 USD for each of my 3 sets. I sold one and am keeping a 2nd set as a backup, or they might end up as a Christmas gift.

While 3rd party ear pads are available, AFAIK, ORA is not stocking or offering original ear pad replacements, which is always an issue with these types of "one-off" designs that are produced in crowdfunding campaigns. Unfortunately, obtaining other replacement parts will most likely be an issue as well.

But I was interested enough in the Graphene technology and the features offered at this price point to knowingly look past those potential issues.

What I'd really like to see (and hear) are some of the major high-end transducer manufacturers such as Scanspeak, SB Acoustics, Focal, and Purifi, etc, to incorporate the Graphene-Q diaphragm technology into their existing top-tier drivers to see exactly what, if any, improvements can be realized.

Will Graphene-Q truly be a better performing and more cost-effective diaphragm material compared to Beryllium? At least we know it is non-toxic, so there's that. :)

I do find it sad and unfortunate that ORA is still just now getting the last 100-200 sets out to it's customers. During that time A LOT of comparable headphones from major manufacturers have been released, offering instant gratification.

Irrespective of the Graphene-Q development itself, I'm sure that the overall design, development, prototyping, and manufacturing process has been a very important and revealing learning experience for ORA.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,214 of 1,288
So what they told me about the headband was to send the headphones back to Montreal for repair and pay shipping both ways. These were a gift so it's not terrible but splitting that would have been nice.

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,215 of 1,288
So what they told me about the headband was to send the headphones back to Montreal for repair and pay shipping both ways. These were a gift so it's not terrible but splitting that would have been nice.

That’s not all that unusual. For many companies, warranty repairs require the customer to pay for shipping both ways.

However, in this case, from what you’ve described it sure sounds to me like a manufacturing defect. Meaning that when the headphones were originally purchased, the buyer already paid for shipping once. Ie, the buyer paid for shipping of a fully functional pair of headphones.

If I bought a brand new sealed laptop (and paid for shipping), and when I opened it up there was a manufacturer defect where the screen was messed up, and the company said I had to pay additional shipping to and from them to get another new (functional) laptop, I’d tell them to stick it where the sun don’t shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back