ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Sep 3, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #1,188 of 1,288
If you look at their website, it's clear that their business model is to become an OEM supplier. They have demonstrated feasibility for headphones and it would make more sense for them to create something different, such as a speaker.

Maybe that was how Chitty's Store from Aliexpress was able to sell the Ora drivers for 28.50USD for a while?

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,189 of 1,288
I have both Clear and Ora. Clear is more musical, relaxed and mellow. Ora has amazing bass but directly after Clear they sound not natural, but you forget about that after 5 min or so and they are fun after that. Clear is more comfortable.

My typical use cases are: Ora for music from mobile via Bluetooth, Ora for games and movies from Xbox wired to Gamepad; Clear for music from desktop dac and for calls (they are very comfortable).
If I really like the Focal Clear (which I actually enjoy the most out of but is expensive as hell) will I like the Ora? Also what do you mean by "but directly after Clear"?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #1,190 of 1,288
If I really like the Focal Clear (which I actually enjoy the most out of but is expensive as hell) will I like the Ora? Also what do you mean by "but directly after Clear"?
No, they are very different and actually can not be really compared.
"Directly after Clear" means exactly that, if I listen to Focal Clear and then switch to Ora the perception of Ora is different.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #1,192 of 1,288
Only around an hour ago I picked up this amp from a click-and-collect courier. I've got my Asus U7 connected and providing the DAC. Using QED RCA cables that I thought were pretty costly, knowing nothing about audio cables.

I cannot believe the difference an amp can make. Switched back and forth a few times, and it's like the U7's amp covers your head in fabric or something.

According to Asus my U7 has a Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC. Is that acceptable or should I start planning to upgrade my DAC as well?

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #1,193 of 1,288
Only around an hour ago I picked up this amp from a click-and-collect courier. I've got my Asus U7 connected and providing the DAC. Using QED RCA cables that I thought were pretty costly, knowing nothing about audio cables.

I cannot believe the difference an amp can make. Switched back and forth a few times, and it's like the U7's amp covers your head in fabric or something.

According to Asus my U7 has a Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC. Is that acceptable or should I start planning to upgrade my DAC as well?

Same! I just got the HELM DB-12 THX-AAA dongle amp. Wowowow, what a beautiful difference! I’m just using my apple lightning or MacBook output + the clean power boost. I have been rediscovering these! I am not sure if I think it’s too bright or not yet, we’ll see but the fact that I’m debating is a good sign.

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #1,194 of 1,288
Same! I just got the HELM DB-12 THX-AAA dongle amp. Wowowow, what a beautiful difference! I’m just using my apple lightning or MacBook output + the clean power boost. I have been rediscovering these! I am not sure if I think it’s too bright or not yet, we’ll see but the fact that I’m debating is a good sign.

Congrats! I've been listening virtually non-stop since setting up the amp and it's just totally recalibrated my already-huge love of music. Paired with the GQ the results are just shockingly good. I listen to a lot of classical music because it's not too distracting while working, and with a particularly good recording I have to just stop and marvel at how lifelike it sounds.

Switching between the 789 and my U7's integrated amp removes all life from the music, and switching between the ORA GQ and my previous M50x downgrades the general quality by an order of magnitude. It's kind of amazing to me that I used to worship those headphones and also with how common and popular they are. They sound like absolute junk compared to the GQ and miss most of the finer details in tracks.

And that's all without even having lossless file sources. I'm just using Spotify Premium.

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,195 of 1,288
Congrats! I've been listening virtually non-stop since setting up the amp and it's just totally recalibrated my already-huge love of music. Paired with the GQ the results are just shockingly good. I listen to a lot of classical music because it's not too distracting while working, and with a particularly good recording I have to just stop and marvel at how lifelike it sounds.

Switching between the 789 and my U7's integrated amp removes all life from the music, and switching between the ORA GQ and my previous M50x downgrades the general quality by an order of magnitude. It's kind of amazing to me that I used to worship those headphones and also with how common and popular they are. They sound like absolute junk compared to the GQ and miss most of the finer details in tracks.

And that's all without even having lossless file sources. I'm just using Spotify Premium.

Yeah honestly with big clean power these just open up and deliver the hifi on the go while being economically viable thing

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #1,197 of 1,288
September Update

To all our enduring backers still missing headphones,

We have news! Ora successfully transferred all components to our new integrator in China. The relationship with this new company is already much more transparent and communication a lot more professional and responsive. Overall, we have a great feeling about this new partner.
The agreed-upon plan is as follows:
  • The new integrator has committed to assemble 120 units by the second week of October.
  • All remaining units will be assembled 2 weeks after that.
For the final shipments, we will prioritize based on order #.

Again, please send us your updated addresses if you haven’t already. Oraneeds to confirm finalized addresses with our shipping partner by the first week of October.

We value your patience!
  • The Ora team

Oct 13, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #1,199 of 1,288
Question for any European backers - as the recommended case doesn't seem to be available over here, has anyone else found a decent carry case for these?

What's the recommended case? I'm in South Africa, and I doubt I have easy access to whatever it is. My Mom sews amazing stuff though and a while back made me a fancy little carrying bag for my GQs, so not worried about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back