ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Apr 15, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,038 of 1,288
I just love watching movies and playing games with these, it reminds me of a good 2.1 setup. I've been watching Better Call Saul season 5 and diologue is extremely clear and not overly artificial sounding, I have no issues watching shows without subtitles.
The lower mids aren't weird and bloated like some headphones, so male voices don't sound like you've set the crossover off a subwoofer too high. On the other hand when bass does kick in, you get a nice encompassing rumble reminiscent of a subwoofer while still sounded nice and distinct and not bloating up the rest of the sounds happening in the scene.
In Better Call Saul some junkies rolled up in a car playing bassy music, and it really had that nice subwoofer feeling, but didn't mess with the dialogue of the people talking near the car.

Meanwhile I tried my beloved KZ ZSX iems (which I love for music), but there was an artifical sparkly timbre coming from the vocals, and what sounded like the noise floor of the microphones was boosted past what I would consider being a good blend into the audio mix. As much as I looove my ZSX the GQ does a much better job of blending the mix into something natural sounding and closer to what I would consider the mix was intended to sound like.

My Sundara also resolves treble further than the GQ but lacks the width and depth and subbass fullness of the GQ. The GQ does a better job of creating a sense of space when it comes to tv/movies/games

Apr 16, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,039 of 1,288
So there I was, minding my own business, reading my email, and BOOM, there it was - a shipping notice for my Oras! 8 days away... after waiting for what seems like forever, and reading such a broad spectrum of opinions, I am not sure how to feel... Up to now these have been the audio version of Schrödinger's cat... they might be good, they might be bad, and I won’t know until I open the box...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #1,040 of 1,288
So there I was, minding my own business, reading my email, and BOOM, there it was - a shipping notice for my Oras! 8 days away... after waiting for what seems like forever, and reading such a broad spectrum of opinions, I am not sure how to feel... Up to now these have been the audio version of Schrödinger's cat... they might be good, they might be bad, and I won’t know until I open the box...
My husband wanted his so bad and now he will never hear them its not fair. They better still send them! He paid for them!

Apr 18, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,041 of 1,288
My husband wanted his so bad and now he will never hear them its not fair. They better still send them! He paid for them!

I remember him posting sadly more than once that he had yet to get any email with tracking info, he sure did want to hear them, you’re right!

When you finally get them, listen to them for him. Did you find that your listening preferences were similar as far as gear goes, specifically headphones? I know you both had become even more into earbuds as I recall.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,042 of 1,288
For those who have actually received their ORAs:
1. How does the sound quality compare to Focal Clear or HD-600?
2. I see all of these comments about the bass not being great unless there is a good seal to the head. So how does that work with all of us who wear eyeglasses?

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #1,043 of 1,288
2. I see all of these comments about the bass not being great unless there is a good seal to the head. So how does that work with all of us who wear eyeglasses?

I think the bass is the best part.

Luckily, I have no problem with the fit or the seal, and I wear glasses.

But obviously the Ora fit is different for everyone, as are eyeglass design, style, arm thickness, etc.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #1,044 of 1,288
It definitely has more bass than the hd600, and also more bass than the Clear (going off my memory of the Clear). In my opinion it sounds less congested than the HD58x, 650, and 660 (I haven't heard the 600). I would take the ORA over the 58x and 650. For 660 it's a tough call, they both have different strengths and both are good

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #1,045 of 1,288
I'd say it can compete with the best of them and i have the 6XX. Bass might be even punchier than 6XX. Not entirely sure what those people are talking about. I even wear glasses with thicker stems.

Apr 25, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #1,046 of 1,288
1. I'd say it's as capable as an HD600, at least on my equipment, just different sound signatures. Mid-range, especially vocals, really shines much better on the HD600, but that's what they're known for so I wasn't surprised. I've been spoiled by that signature for so long, what the Oras produce seems lackluster in comparison. Objectively, I think the Oras are quite good still.
2. Bass is certainly fine to me. I do wear glasses. So to the comments regarding seal with glasses on, it's going to be quite variable. It's going to depend on how close to your head the arms of your glasses are. I have pretty sporty/slim ones and the arms are pretty close to my head (not much gap between the arms and skin). Given that, the Oras seal pretty well and I'm happy with the bass response. I do listen to EDM so it's an important factor.

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,047 of 1,288
Finally received my pair and liking them on first impressions.

BT mode is plain bad IMHO but wired mode is great. Very well textured and layered bass.

Will post more once I spend more time with them.

Apr 25, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #1,048 of 1,288
Finally received my pair and liking them on first impressions.

BT mode is plain bad IMHO but wired mode is great. Very well textured and layered bass.

Will post more once I spend more time with them.

Just out of curiosity, what BT source are you using? Codec, Bluetooth version, etc?

Because that will have an effect on the Bluetooth experience.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #1,050 of 1,288
Using a S10 5G with BT 5.0 and tried Aptx, AAC, LDAC and it just doesnt work. Not a problem as I mostly use wired.

Yeah, you got a good source, so no problem there.

I definitely agree that it sounds best wired.

Glad to hear you like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back