ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Apr 8, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #1,021 of 1,288
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

Skip down to the section titled Historical Target Response Curves, and read down until at least the part talking about the Harman curve.

Basically Diffuse Field is a target response developed by having measuring sound played in an extremely reverberant room at a dummy head in the center. Harman is a target response developed in a more realistic room setting, being developed by the preferences and perceived flatness of the many research subjects. The result is an averaged target response. It tends to be slightly warmer in sound compared to diffuse field, but also tends to more accurately represent what a room in the recording studio would sound like.

Most people would probably prefer a Harman targeted headphone over diffuse field, although diffuse field might sound more spacious and have better imaging.

Yup, to further explain, here’s a copy/paste from an important post on reddit by an acoustic engineer who has shared a lot of knowledge and experience with the hobby community:

differences between the Harman curve and Diffuse Field

I could write a long article about this (and I already have as part of my thesis), but I'm gonna try and keep it short, so it's more easy to understand.

The first question is: "what should a speaker sound like?" (in terms of frequency response). The short answer is (after decades of research) is: A speaker should produce a flat frequency response in an anechoic room. When the same speaker is placed in a "normal" (slightly reverberant) room, the frequency response will be a little tilted - about 4 dB more bass, and about 2 dB less treble. The debate about this is basically over, the question has been answered, and indeed, virtually all "good" speakers show this behaviour (flat on-axis, controlled sound power output).
And since recording studios use good speakers (studio monitors) to record, monitor and mix the music that consumers listen to later, it makes intuitively sense to listen to the music on similarly performing speakers - because that is what the music is supposed to sound like, this is what the artist and recording engineers decided "sounded good".
So the target for speakers is: Flat on-axis, controlled sound power output (smooth directivity).

Now, the same question can be asked for headphones: "what should a headphone sound like?" (in terms of: What is the ideal frequency response of a headphone"), and the short answer is: "it's not that simple".
The answer is simple for speakers (not that simple really, but it has been answered), but for headphones it is much more difficult.
The first difficulty is "how do you measure it?". It's easy with speakers - put a calibrated microphone at a standardized distance. With headphones this isn't possible (much of the sound depends on the shape of the head). The general consensus is to measure headphones on artificial heads, with artificial ears and artificial ear canals. The problem with this is, that head shape, ear shape and ear canal have significant influence on the acoustics, most prominently a 10-20 dB boost at 3 kHz. The important thing is: We "hear" this boost even when listening to speakers - because our ears are always there. When the artificial head measurement shows a high boost at 3 kHz, this sounds "flat, linear" to us, because this is what our ears hear. But how should this boost look like exactly? What is the target frequency response?

There have been many approaches to define the "target" for headphones.
Historically, it started with the ITU's recommendation of a "free field curve". This was measured by placing a good speaker in an anechoic room, and placing an artificial head in front of it. Then we measure the response of the speaker, but not with a measurement microphone, we measure with the artificial ears of the artificial head, so we can "see" what a human "hears" when he stands where the artificial head stands.
The resulting target frequency response curve has a 15 dB boost at 3 kHz, and is very wobbly above 5 kHz, due to specific resonance and phase effects that occur at specific distances and angles. It's hard to manufacture headphones that reproduce all these wobbles exactly right.
So another approach was taken: The diffuse field curve. Instead of putting a single speaker directly in front of the head, we place the head in a very reverberant room, so that sound arrives at the head from all angles and from all directions equally. The reasoning behind this idea was that sound arrives from all angles as well when wearing headphones - simply because the headphones cover the whole ear.
Diffuse fields are hard to set up, because you need to carefully position a lot of speakers and reflectors in a room with very hard walls to avoid any direct reflections, leaving you with only reverberation. Usually we use speakers that radiate in all directions, to further excite the diffuse field. The frequency response in the room is still linear and flat - but the sound is coming from all directions and not just from the front (as in the free field).
Now, when we measure the frequency response of the diffuse field with an artificial head, the resulting curve is much smoother above 5 kHz.
Free field and diffuse field in comparison.
When we build headphones that are tuned towards the diffuse-field curve, they sound neutral but a bit bright. Examples are the AKG 240DF, Beyerdynamic DT880 and most famously the Etymotic Research ER4-series. But also the Sennheiser HD800 is tuned for diffuse field response (but a very modified one).

But the question is not yet fully answered. Enter a scientist named Sean Olive currently employed at Harman. His hypothesis was that neither the Free Field nor the Diffuse Field curve were "correct" (read: Neither were ideal), since both the concept of FF and DF are very abstract and don't happen when listneing to music. He proposed another way of creating a target curve:
Placing a pair of good speakers in a "regular" listening room similar to the control rooms of recording and mixing studios, and measuring the frequency response with an artificial head. Harman's reference room is neither fully reverberant nor fully anechoic, it features a reverberation time of about 0.4 seconds, very similar to what professional recording and mixing studios use (the rule of thumb is 0.3 seconds).
Now if we measure a headphone on that same artificial head and the headphone were to have the same frequency response that we measured in the room, then this frequency response would be ideal, or so Sean Olive proposed. And further research proved that he was right, the majority of both trained and untrained listeners prefer this target curve over any other target curve.
The difference to DF and FF curves is that the room will slightly boost low frequencies due to reverberation, but high frequencies do not reverberate as much as they are more easily absorbed.
This comes much closer to what the artist and recording engineer heard in the studio, and what they based their judgement on in order to shape the sound of the music.
In other words: The Harman Target is basically the same sound that the artist and engineers heard when creating the music that we hear.

Damn, I did write morethan I intended to, and there's still a lot more to be said about the Harman Target (for example why there are currently four different Harman Targets...).
Any questions? ask away.

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #1,023 of 1,288
My Ora finally arrived

And its quite good soundwise, just the ergos are bit lacking

The cups only swivel sideways, no vertical tilt

Now the bass of this thing is very fun, very punchy, a basshead with definition, if someone is a bassist, they are perfect to play along

Vocals are very foward

Now the high mids are a tad harsh, but no sybilance

Percussion and drumming very punchy.

The sound seems to be a winner but the ergos are very limited, it seems they tested in no more than 6 people. The cups slide too little height wise . They cup shape is pretty good, a shame i cant get them in the optimal height.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,024 of 1,288
My Ora finally arrived

And its quite good soundwise, just the ergos are bit lacking

The cups only swivel sideways, no vertical tilt

Now the bass of this thing is very fun, very punchy, a basshead with definition, if someone is a bassist, they are perfect to play along

Vocals are very foward

Now the high mids are a tad harsh, but no sybilance

Percussion and drumming very punchy.

The sound seems to be a winner but the ergos are very limited, it seems they tested in no more than 6 people. The cups slide too little height wise . They cup shape is pretty good, a shame i cant get them in the optimal height.
Maybe try a some different sources or some burn in might relax the upper mids a bit for you?

I personally have a longer head that's not very wide. I'm not sure what head shape you have, but I initially thought the cups didn't extend enough, but after experimenting I've found that only extending them about the thickness of my pinky finger fits best for me. Here is how much I have them extended.

Attachments

• 20200413_075155.jpg
    20200413_075155.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #1,025 of 1,288
Maybe try a some different sources or some burn in might relax the upper mids a bit for you?

I personally have a longer head that's not very wide. I'm not sure what head shape you have, but I initially thought the cups didn't extend enough, but after experimenting I've found that only extending them about the thickness of my pinky finger fits best for me. Here is how much I have them extended.
Thanks for the advice, seems to work although not ideal. My head is big, not Tito Ortiz big but still 98% of the caps dont fit me lol

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #1,026 of 1,288

It'll depend on the head. I kinda hope more people are in your boat than mine. If I don't have it extended all the way, the pads sit on my ear lobes. Extended all the way just barely does it if I don't wear it like any of my other headphones. I have to wear these with the headband farther forward than any of my other headphones or it wouldn't fit in any sort of comfortable fashion at all.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #1,027 of 1,288
It'll depend on the head. I kinda hope more people are in your boat than mine. If I don't have it extended all the way, the pads sit on my ear lobes. Extended all the way just barely does it if I don't wear it like any of my other headphones. I have to wear these with the headband farther forward than any of my other headphones or it wouldn't fit in any sort of comfortable fashion at all.

You have to wear it with the headband forward? What happens if you wear it with the headband tilted back? This way, the earcups are vertically oriented.

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #1,029 of 1,288
You have to wear it with the headband forward? What happens if you wear it with the headband tilted back? This way, the earcups are vertically oriented.
Then definitely not long enough and becomes loose. Cuz the problem with these for my head is that for the cups to orient perfectly with my ear tilt, the headband would ideally be a little be farther back than my other headphones, but at that angle, they're easily not long enough and they end up clamping my ear lobes. Tilting it back far enough to fit all the way around doesn't feel like the right cup orientation anymore and a that point, the clamp feels a bit loose. Might try it again though to see if extension just isn't dialed in, but like I said, it didn't feel like the cups were oriented the right way anymore. So instead, I wear the headband a bit further forward than my usual placement and the cup fitting is still okayish, though there's definitely still tightness on my head. Yeah, obviously no one designed these to not try to fit everyone, but I don't think that design logic adhered well enough to the loose rule of "figure out how much you need, then add 20% to it" when dealing with stuff like this.

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #1,030 of 1,288
Then definitely not long enough and becomes loose. Cuz the problem with these for my head is that for the cups to orient perfectly with my ear tilt, the headband would ideally be a little be farther back than my other headphones, but at that angle, they're easily not long enough and they end up clamping my ear lobes. Tilting it back far enough to fit all the way around doesn't feel like the right cup orientation anymore and a that point, the clamp feels a bit loose. Might try it again though to see if extension just isn't dialed in, but like I said, it didn't feel like the cups were oriented the right way anymore. So instead, I wear the headband a bit further forward than my usual placement and the cup fitting is still okayish, though there's definitely still tightness on my head. Yeah, obviously no one designed these to not try to fit everyone, but I don't think that design logic adhered well enough to the loose rule of "figure out how much you need, then add 20% to it" when dealing with stuff like this.

I'm sorry to hear that man, that really a shame. I totally agree that you figure out how much you need and then add an extra amount to compensate for outliers.

Since it's designed so that the cups tilt vertically when the headband is tilted back, and you have to tilt the headband forward to get it to fit on your head, what happens when you flip the Ora around and wear the R and L cups opposite? Ignore the fact that the R and L channels would be opposite. From a purely fitment standpoint, with the Ora flipped opposite and the headband tilted forward, the cups should be oriented vertically again. Of course, the angle of the pads would be wrong, but that could be solved by using HM5 pads.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #1,032 of 1,288
Im pretty sure i will give it to my gf. Very fun sound but the ergos didnt work out for me. It touches my lobes. If it had 1 more inch of adjustment it would be ok.

Before you give them away, do you have a set of HM5 pads you can throw on to
try out?

It really does fix some problems with the headphone; mainly the comfort of the stock pads and a better fit.

You had to wait almost 3 years. What’s a little while longer?

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,033 of 1,288
I'm sorry to hear that man, that really a shame. I totally agree that you figure out how much you need and then add an extra amount to compensate for outliers.

Since it's designed so that the cups tilt vertically when the headband is tilted back, and you have to tilt the headband forward to get it to fit on your head, what happens when you flip the Ora around and wear the R and L cups opposite? Ignore the fact that the R and L channels would be opposite. From a purely fitment standpoint, with the Ora flipped opposite and the headband tilted forward, the cups should be oriented vertically again. Of course, the angle of the pads would be wrong, but that could be solved by using HM5 pads.
I'll see what happens if it do that. If anything, we can at least experiment around and get some more anecdotal data. It's really just the not having long enough sliders that's my current fit gripe. The pads themselves are fairly nice and if the sliders were a bit longer, I don't mind the amount of padding that's on the headband either, though I know some people would've liked to see more padding on it.

Sound-wise, my impressions the past couple of weeks has really changed from my original listen. Sound signature-wise, it's pretty good, only slightly lacking in on noticeable area for my musical tastes; vocals are on the thin side, doesn't feel full-bodied so the tone just doesn't come across right. Because of that, the vocals are missing some emotion to them, falls a bit flat for what I like to hear out of my headphones. Just about everything aspect of the sound though, I've got virtually no complaints. And I can see why someone who heads up an orchestra would like these. They're at their best when I'm listening to purely musical pieces. I've had tracks come up from the Tron Legacy OST and the Halo 3 OST in the midst of other music and those pieces sound fantastic on these. And to make clear what we're working with, I have those tracks in ALAC and the Oras are connected by BT to my iPod Touch 5g. I've had the Oras just connected and playing music for probably a cumulative 40+ hours. I've gone through a few full charge cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back