ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Mar 11, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #931 of 1,288
On Friday I'm going to my local store to buy the Sundara. While I'm there I'm gonna try the ORA headphones on the amazing legendary HeadAmp GSX2 stack (I think connected to a Chord DAC). Gonna see how some of these amazing amps sound with these. I can also try daps like the A&K SP2000 etc while I'm there.

Here's a pic of the sexy HeadAmp stack I took last time I was there.

Attachments

• IMG_20200306_132450_755.jpg
    IMG_20200306_132450_755.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #932 of 1,288
That first link makes it sound like they are making Graphene membrane electrostatic headphones (or speakers).

You also mention earbud headphones which sounds more like graphene iems to me.

ORA's Robert-Eric first proof-of-concept for GrapheneQ was a micron-thin Graphene ribbon element in a studio ribbon microphone. He posted about this earlier in the thread.

Electrostatic speaker elements are basically of an identical design and concept as ribbon microphones, they just work in reverse.

^And not that I need more headphones, but I've been interested in and contemplating trying the Sundaras as well just due to their potentially excellent price/performance ratio.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #933 of 1,288
It hurts to see those. :frowning2: Reach out to ORA and see what they will do!

In the manual, THEY are the ones who suggest to bend the headband to adjust clamping force and comfort/fit. But AFAIK, they did not specifically detail the proper way for this to be done, so IMO they are at least a little bit at fault.

As soon as I unboxed my GQs to inspect them and saw that narrow area in the yoke sliders where the wire routes through and where yours broke, I immediately made a mental note as to that being a "weak point" to avoid putting stress on, especially knowing that they were made from somewhat brittle cast aluminum. :frowning2:

After seeing my set, I would have suggested to ONLY attempt to bend or flex the headband by grasping the headband itself, and then only doing this in gradual, small increments!

Yea I straight up sent him the link about adjustments because seal matters on these...

Robert-Eric, do you have any suggestions?

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #935 of 1,288
You're right, I think. I forgot the yoke and sliders are made of a powder covered aluminum because they feel so plasticky.

IMG_20200311_191658.jpg
IMG_20200311_191641.jpg
I attached pictures of my sad ORA.

Woah d1337tion, that is crazy. Holy Cow! I am truly shocked to see that and very sorry that it happened. Please contact Ora's support email support@ora-sound.com. We'll figure out a way to get you back up and running.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #936 of 1,288
Woah d1337tion, that is crazy. Holy Cow! I am truly shocked to see that and very sorry that it happened. Please contact Ora's support email support@ora-sound.com. We'll figure out a way to get you back up and running.
If the quality of your headphones are even half the quality of the group of people you seem to be, then I think the Ora GQ should be just fine.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #937 of 1,288
Ora with Senitek fabric (ie HM5 style pads):

26FA014D-26AB-4F27-BEB3-F6BF654B59FA.jpeg
3979DFD3-EA58-4668-A084-279D4B4B44C7.jpeg
Yesss this is what I've been waiting for. Definitely want some pad rolling impressions

Mar 12, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #938 of 1,288
If the quality of your headphones are even half the quality of the group of people you seem to be, then I think the Ora GQ should be just fine.
These headphones grow on me each day. Absolutely sublime for movies, TV and gaming. Great for music, maybe some genres more than others. Still great performance though, even if not the best I've heard for music. They're also super comfortable once you figure out the fit, I wore them for like 12 hours straight yesterday no problem

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #939 of 1,288
Couple new thoughts:
1: I tried wireless again and really like how they work in that mode. I actually find the presence to be a little subdued while keeping a lot of the great stuff the wired thing does so well. Including the bass
2: been A/B testing against my Mobius in HiRes mode and am finding a strong personal preference for the ORA. I’m pretty shocked about this, quite honestly. I’d certainly identify as an audeze fanboi.
—To whit: I remember getting back from the panda experience, plugging in my Mobius and wishing the Pandas could do the DSP Tricks that the Mobius has. Not spatial stuff, just well tuned frequently shaping like normal or music in hires mode. I’d like the clean power and presence of the Panda with a response that evokes that whole “good speaker in a room “ thing, like Harman/Audeze/Bose. I don’t feel like I’m making a compromise here, with the Ora. At least not right now, though I could have some kind realizations I missed an observation at some.
—Caveat: my Mobius are still running the original firmware and have the stock pads. I’d like to update both and try again. I don’t have any access to a Windows machine. Trust. San Francisco do be like that sometimes.
3: Super super sad that the USB-C Audio didn’t make the final product. I mean, I get it. They’re efficient and kinda don’t need it but it would have been nice.
4: these really stand a chance of becoming my favorite closed backs. I’ll probably need to do more comparisons and won’t know for sure for a good 3ish months. I wish I could compare these to the Campfire Cascade but there’s no dealer around and they’re discontinued, I think

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #940 of 1,288
Sigh... still patiently waiting for mine to show up... :) Unfortunately I was late to the game, backer number in the 2200's. But it sounds like I've definitely got something to look forward to! (At least assuming they can make it into the U.S.... maybe I'll have to wait a bit longer. Sigh. :weary:)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #942 of 1,288
Sigh... still patiently waiting for mine to show up... :) Unfortunately I was late to the game, backer number in the 2200's. But it sounds like I've definitely got something to look forward to! (At least assuming they can make it into the U.S.... maybe I'll have to wait a bit longer. Sigh. :weary:)
Keep an eye on your spam folder. Mine came direct from China. I’m in the US & was backer 145X. It won’t be long I imagine!

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #944 of 1,288
Ha! Check out the new comments on Josh Valour’s review. New owners checking in and voicing their experience as quite the opposite.

That’s not surprising to me in the least bit. His review was an eye opener for me, and not in a good way. I will definitely be skipping his ‘reviews’ from now on, since I now know the game he’s playing.

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #945 of 1,288
That’s not surprising to me in the least bit. His review was an eye opener for me, and not in a good way. I will definitely be skipping his ‘reviews’ from now on, since I now know the game he’s playing.
Sorry, not to debate, but to understand... what’s the game Josh is playing? It would seem perfectly plausible that people hear gear very differently from each other due to everything from personal taste, to hearing health, to anatomy. Head-fi I think has numerous examples of this. I am definitely not defending Josh - I barely watch any of his reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back