ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Dec 25, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #496 of 1,288
Can we get the actual measurements? Or was it already posted? I'd like to at least see that.

Ora need to post them if they haven't done so.

From Ora:

FR.jpg
FR.gif

Dec 25, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #497 of 1,288
I appreciate that he tells it like it is, like what he really thinks about it. There's too many wishy washy reviewers that don't tell you squat. I just saw his LS50 Wireless review, and agree that's it's a poor

Oh lawd that frequency response. No wonder.

Note to self: Just because they advertise exotic material, and claims bunch of scientists are on it, doesn't mean squat.
I too was happy about the review but at the same time, imo, Josh is such a huge promoter of drop and making money on amazon. When he gives negative about one product it's not too far after he uses it as a way to talk up another. That being said he also makes money on YouTube and has to come up with new material. So while he's overdone the monotonous job of intertwining stuff he wants you to buy, he still needs to draw you into thinking he's our savior

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #498 of 1,288
Folks... let’s just wait. Soon enough we’ll have the Ora in our hands and all questions about build quality and sound will be answered. No point in fretting. For those of us in the Kickstarter campaign it is already way too late to not buy these... we’re in it for the ride now :). For those not in the campaign, there is no point in gloating. Ever.

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #499 of 1,288
2 1/2 year wait for that? What a letdown. Looks like Kickstarter really kicked where it hurts.
Well... look, not Kickstarter’s fault, really. Those of us who invested chose to invest in a product that had not been developed, and thus unseen and un-reviewed. That’s investing, or gambling, you pick.

As for me, I have sworn off Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Products are late or never delivered. If delivered there is a high likelihood that they fall below expectations. Out of more than a dozen I have bought into, I really only use 3 of them (and those were put out by bigger companies that clearly were using those platforms as marketing vehicles.

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #500 of 1,288
Well... look, not Kickstarter’s fault, really. Those of us who invested chose to invest in a product that had not been developed, and thus unseen and un-reviewed. That’s investing, or gambling, you pick.

As for me, I have sworn off Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Products are late or never delivered. If delivered there is a high likelihood that they fall below expectations. Out of more than a dozen I have bought into, I really only use 3 of them (and those were put out by bigger companies that clearly were using those platforms as marketing vehicles.
I'm thinking of starting a program (similar to Kickstarter and Drop) for upstart headphone wannabes, where you pay money upfront for an unknown headphone entity, then you wait three years for it to come to fruition, then wait 7 months for it to ship. I'll call it DropKick to the Nuts.

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #501 of 1,288
When did Headfi start worshipping charts?

Aren't we all supposed to trust our ears or something?

“When did Headfi start worshipping charts?”. Woa, there. Posting a graph is equivalent to worshiping a chart? You might want to either amend (if, upon reflection you see it was a bit over the top), or extend (if you feel more explanation is required) your comment. Or you can let it stand on its own, but then it will just be chaff.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #502 of 1,288
I'm thinking of starting a program (similar to Kickstarter and Drop) for upstart headphone wannabes, where you pay money upfront for an unknown headphone entity, then you wait three years for it to come to fruition, then wait 7 months for it to ship. I'll call it DropKick to the Nuts.
Where do I sign up for this?

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #503 of 1,288
Folks... let’s just wait. Soon enough we’ll have the Ora in our hands and all questions about build quality and sound will be answered. No point in fretting. For those of us in the Kickstarter campaign it is already way too late to not buy these... we’re in it for the ride now :). For those not in the campaign, there is no point in gloating. Ever.

Amen! We’ll know more about the results first hand soon enough and more data points will be flooding in over the coming weeks.

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #504 of 1,288
“When did Headfi start worshipping charts?”. Woa, there. Posting a graph is equivalent to worshiping a chart? You might want to either amend (if, upon reflection you see it was a bit over the top), or extend (if you feel more explanation is required) your comment. Or you can let it stand on its own, but then it will just be chaff.

Yeah that was a really weird angle to found an argument on. Graphs are just one data point but they essentially affect timbre.

Once we had a mix of solutions like the Harman Curve or Diffuse Field etc, there was not only a strong conversation around frequency response but understanding the response of each set of headphones you listen to can help with intuition around what a certain set of cans might sound like.

The argument’s angles kind of give off this kind of vibe:
“Whoa! When did data points become important in understanding headphones we’ve never heard? Didn’t we just used to listen to & talk about headphones?”

It’s like the “neutral” problem.
- Is neutrality flat frequencies? The Harman curve?
- Does the person describing “neutrality” actually even have a frame of reference they’re referring to in mind or was “neutrality” developed in a vacuum

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #506 of 1,288
Cheers mate, I was confident it's not plastic but the liquid wood of the AQ Night series cans. It's a wood cellulose composite and that'll do nicely if my AQ headphones are anything to go by.

If you want to get technical about it so-called "liquid wood" is plastic. It's a particular type of plastic made from certain materials, but once you get past the marketing nonsense it's a plastic

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #508 of 1,288
If you want to get technical about it so-called "liquid wood" is plastic. It's a particular type of plastic made from certain materials, but once you get past the marketing nonsense it's a plastic

Technically it's also wood as it's made from wood fibers. Let's just settle on it's not some cheap plastic cup but a actual premium material that has been used in premium headphones in the past.

As long as it sounds good, and the stress areas (hinges, yokes, etc) are structurally sound, I personally don’t care what the cups themselves are made of.

I’d rather have a headphone that sounds good but uses plastic cups, than one that sounds poor but has beautiful hardwood cups.

Dec 25, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #509 of 1,288
Note to self: Just because they advertise exotic material, and claims bunch of scientists are on it, doesn't mean squat.
That's exactly why I wanted to wait instead of joining the campaign. Look at loudspeakers, where many different materials are used in speaker drivers — mylar, paper, silk, kevlar, aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium, beryllium, etc. The diaphragm material isn't as important as other design aspects of a speaker. I might have joined their campaign if someone on their team had actually worked on a well regarded headphone currently on the market. Graphene is interesting but they didn't show that they know how to design a good headphone.

Moreover, their first product is a bluetooth headphone that seems more targeted for the mass market, not audiophiles or studio professionals. It may take a couple of newer models before they have one I might be interested in.

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #510 of 1,288
That's exactly why I wanted to wait instead of joining the campaign. Look at loudspeakers, where many different materials are used in speaker drivers — mylar, paper, silk, kevlar, aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium, beryllium, etc. The diaphragm material isn't as important as other design aspects of a speaker. I might have joined their campaign if someone on their team had actually worked on a well regarded headphone currently on the market. Graphene is interesting but they didn't show that they know how to design a good headphone.

Moreover, their first product is a bluetooth headphone that seems more targeted for the mass market, not audiophiles or studio professionals. It may take a couple of newer models before they have one I might be interested in.

All the rest of your points might or might not be valid (though I completely agree with, and honestly wish in retrospect I had followed, the wait and see approach)... while these headphones do have Bluetooth, they are also wired headphones. Just best to have facts straight in order to not invite needless discussion on minor points...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back