ORA GrapheneQ - The world's first Graphene driver headphone
Dec 26, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #526 of 1,288
Its 90% organic material like lignin and cellulose and 10% synthetic material such as plastic.

Lignin and Cellulose are found naturally so there's no marketing involved considering their announcement on the launch of the headphones.

What you said is true. What I said is also true. Liquid wood is plastic, it's just a plastic produced with natural materials. Calling it "liquid wood" instead of plastic just evokes a more high end feel in the marketing material. That's not necessarily a criticism on my part, marketing your product in a way that makes it sounds appealing and special is completely normal and acceptable as long as you're not lying. Liquid wood seems to be a good quality material and probably much easier to work with consistently than solid wood.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #527 of 1,288
For the headphones, we began by making many measurements of the GQs while comparing them to measurements of other headphones to confirm that our results agree with other published data.

e8620f54309a35dcdebe84ccefefa6f1_original.png

Fig. 3 Measuring the Ora GQ headphones on the Neumann KU-100 “Fritz” dummy head.
ac6b33f146b312dad9e053cbdc1309a2_original.png

Fig. 4 Measuring the Ora GQ headphones on the Brüel & Kjaer 4128-D “HATS” dummy head and torso.
In total, 15 measurements of the Ora GQ headphones were made. For each measurement, the headphones were repositioned on the dummy head. Each position produces a slightly different response, particularly in the high frequencies.

23d59e5cb7c2b9f466f0c2da66f81d7e_original.png

Fig. 5 Fifteen overlaid frequency response measurements of the Ora GQ headphones. For each measurement the headphones were re-positioned, slightly changing the high frequency response.
Next, we took an average of all these curves:

c1bb508ccbd3be8d67471e9f3aa9e483_original.png

Fig. 6 Average response of the fifteen frequency response measurements of the Ora GQ headphones. Shown relative to an 85db SPL baseline (average listening volume).
Interpreting the Measurements

The positioning shows the FR stays pretty consistent and makes me doubt even more that Valour had them on wrong and caused all the problems.

100%

If these wind up with a negative overall response, Ora should DoubleDown on the licensing model. I’ve always thought that was the fastest path to scale this startup.

If they’re successful with this launch, they should stay in the headphone game which would make ZMF etc competition or “frenemies” (Like android or Windows with in-house flagships and an ecosystem of builders)

If not, showing success with boutiques like ZMF could open a path to scaling to Sennheiser/Beyer/Apple etc

Why on earth would they take on all the risky and least profitable aspects of headphone manufacture when their entire goal all along was to be an OEM? They won't do that whether the headset succeeds or fails.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #528 of 1,288
Technically it's also wood as it's made from wood fibers. Let's just settle on it's not some cheap plastic cup but a actual premium material that has been used in premium headphones in the past.

The majority of your posts so far are doing PR for this headphone. Just why? It's unnecessary, and any point made about the material was pedantic at best.

Whatever you think of Josh (I don't even like his channel), he showed us the hinges and chassis scratch and creak like hell. The range of adjustment on the headband is literally going to be unusable for some people.

I'm not optimistic, but if I hear mine and they sound good I'll be happy to forget this entire thread.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #529 of 1,288
I'm a optimist and I feel like that review was garbage and not representative of the headphone. It also bothers me when people bash somthing by using incorrect information. I'm not sure why my optimism is a issue. Plus I'm not the only one posting corrections but you are singling me out. Why?

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #530 of 1,288
Nah, I havent blasted him to kingdom come. Just pointed out his incorrect graph.

Now will you just point your finger at me or address his unhelpful comments such as:

"I'm thinking of starting a program (similar to Kickstarter and Drop) for upstart headphone wannabes, where you pay money upfront for an unknown headphone entity, then you wait three years for it to come to fruition, then wait 7 months for it to ship. I'll call it DropKick to the Nuts."

"2 1/2 year wait for that? What a letdown. Looks like Kickstarter really kicked where it hurts."

"I think that's what Joshua did. Surely most of us would hear similar results? I don't think this comes down to a matter of taste or preference. That chart seems to dovetail what Joshua was describing"

For crying out loud, he compared a sensitivity chart to what the reviewer was hearing. That's either stupid or bordering on insane.

Not sure how those comments add to the conversation considering its against Headfi TOS to comment on stuff you haven't heard.
Do you work for ORA or have a substantial amount of cash invested in same? Sure seems like it.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #531 of 1,288
MDF is MDF. Wood. There are fundamental differences that make actual wood an attractive material vs mdf or other processed wood. It's usually lighter and more rigid, because it isn't mixed with loads of glue, and it has fibers that run linearly-- not that linear rigidity is too much of an issue in headphone cups.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #532 of 1,288
I'm a optimist and I feel like that review was garbage and not representative of the headphone. It also bothers me when people bash somthing by using incorrect information. I'm not sure why my optimism is a issue. Plus I'm not the only one posting corrections but you are singling me out. Why?

Your concern about how the the headphone is perceived seems to overrule what anyone in this thread says.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #533 of 1,288
Your concern about how the the headphone is perceived seems to overrule what anyone in this thread says.

I'm not sure why you are singling me out. I'm not the only one posting corrections on the graph and the materials. I will no longer be responding to your posts and I politely ask the same from you so that this thread can continue to be about the headphones.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #534 of 1,288
That's a sensitivity graph, though. It's about how efficient the driver is. Not the frequency graph of sound.

Again, as noted, they put a lot of the research into the frequency response and detailed the process/philosophy/results here: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...orlds-first-graphene-headphones/posts/2481284
Why not put "SENSITIVITY" instead of FREQUENCY RESPONSE in the title?

Anyway, I think I'll join in and purchase one. Judging by the hypersensitive overreaction to my skepticism, it must be an amazing headphone and Joshua is deaf and/or completely out to lunch. Or he was sent a defective unit to review which would be much dumber than anything I've posted in this thread,

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #535 of 1,288
I'm not sure why you are singling me out. I'm not the only one posting corrections on the graph and the materials. I will no longer be responding to your posts and I politely ask the same from you so that this thread can continue to be about the headphones.
I'm happy to be done talking about premium materials I can buy in a tub at Home Depot.

Especially since it has nothing to do with how these sound.

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #536 of 1,288
Yeah, that FR looks awesome...

Screen-Shot-2019-12-24-at-10.43.17.png

Pardon. But I don't see awesomeness in all those peaks and troughs. Just a different flavor of coloration from that of the mylar. And the bass & treble rolls off sooner and steeper if you were to bring the midrange graphs to overlay rather than 20 and 20KHz. This seems like it would be very midrangey.

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #537 of 1,288
Pardon. But I don't see awesomeness in all those peaks and troughs. Just a different flavor of coloration from that of the mylar. And the bass & treble rolls off sooner and steeper if you were to bring the midrange graphs to overlay rather than 20 and 20KHz. This seems like it would be very midrangey.

My guy, that is a unmounted driver in free air just to show higher sensitivity than mylar. It's not the response of anything in a headphone.

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #538 of 1,288
So why bother, while titling it as "frequency response"? If it's higher sensitivity, just indicate the db number.

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #539 of 1,288
One of these days, I'll receive my headphone and then and only then will I truly be able pass personal judgement about these headphones. Hopes and expectations are two different animals; I hope these meet the marketing, but for now, what I expect......is a headphone. Good or bad? I dunno what it'll be, but I do expect a product that meets the description of "headphone" and right now, that's all I should expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back