Optimal computer volume?
Oct 19, 2010 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got my Little Dot I+ (love it!) and running out of my computer, and I'm wondering: is there a certain volume I should set my computer to for optimal sound quality? Or does it just not matter?

EDIT: Ah, this might be the wrong section. Although this is kind of relevant to two boards. :p

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 24
100% and use the amp for controlling the volume.  If your audio is clipping or you know your computer's sound output is loud [considerably louder than line level], set it to a level closer to line level or until it stops clipping.

If you have an output labled line out use it and set the output to 100%.  If you are using a DAC set it to 100% and you should also be fine with no clipping.

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 24
At 100% there's some serious clipping. Maybe I'll just stick with 50% volume.

I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy 2, so if anyone has experience with it you can offer an exact volume level. Would sound quality be worse if I'm running at less than line level?

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 24
Less than line level then you'll get less dynamic with your music, less impact generally.  But if that's what you're looking for, go ahead and do it.  Some people like more soothing effect, some people like more 'engaging' and dynamic music, you can adjust to your taste.

If I have to amplify from computer headphone out, I usually put it to 100%.

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 24
I run my volume at 60% out of the computer and I think it sounds just as good as 100% and less amp power.  Guess it depends on your involved equipment. 

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 24
*Ideally* volume should be set at unity gain (generally this is 100%) and have the last piece of hardware at the end of the chain (generally the amp) control volume.

If you set higher than unity gain, you may experience clipping.

If you set lower than unity gain, then there is some digital software volume control is at work which will make you lose resolution. How important this is and whether you can hear it depends on your rig. But it's usually very subtle or unnoticeable unless you have really high end gear and exceptional hearing.

On a side note, I have a Creative X-Mod and I notice effects such as x-fi crystalizer and cmss often push volumes high enough to cause serious clipping at 100% volume. You may be expriencing clipping due to dsp effects on your sound blaster too.

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 24
yeah let it be 100 % and after playing music if you feel the voice is distorting, reduce the level to a lower level
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 24
Ah, using biwavegen I believe I've found my line level.

By creating a 10hz pure tone, and adjusting the volume until it stops distorting it ends up looking like this:

Or is my process flawed? Should I have used a higher frequency you think?

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 24
Using headphone out amped I set computer volume at 100% with no clippin/distortion and use my caliente to control the volume. Seems to me (like others have said) this gives the most dynamic and engaging results. What are you using for playback? I would highly recommend foobar2000 with ASIO4ALL if you are not using that already. Also an external DAC might be something to consider adding to your chain.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 24
If possible, acquiring a DAC with line-level output to feed into your Little Dot I+ should solve this problem. You should be able to set the software volume controls to 100% without any clipping, and you can rest safe in the knowledge that software volume attenuation isn't impacting on sound quality. Based on my experience, you should hear a noticeable increase in detail using a DAC over the output from your sound card.

I have the Little Dot I+ too and have fed it from a DAC (Little Dot DAC_I) with a fixed line level out, and from a DAC with a variable line-out level (NuForce uDac). With the uDac line out level set to 100% I hear what I believe is a degree of clipping (or distortion anyway), so I have to dial it back to about 70-80% of the maximum volume. With the DAC_I, I don't hear any distortion.

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 24
What this comes down to is if you are talking about a Line-level output or an amplified output.

If it's a line-level output, you want it at 100% and you should not experience any clipping with it at 100%

If it's an amplified output, designed to power headphones, etc directly, you would want to set it to less than 100% output but more importantly you'd probably just want to get a source that doesn't suck.  Running through an amplified output is going to be nothing but bad.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 24
Ahaha, silly me. I just realized I have the bass turned up on the card. With it turned down there's no distortion at max volume. Buuuut, I'm using the K271's, so I need every bit of bass I can get. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back