Optimal computer volume?
Oct 24, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
Ahaha, silly me. I just realized I have the bass turned up on the card. With it turned down there's no distortion at max volume. Buuuut, I'm using the K271's, so I need every bit of bass I can get. lol.

The key when it comes to EQ is to subtract what you don't want rather than trying to add on what you want.  If at any point, any part of your EQ is above +0 dB, you're doing it wrong.

Example:

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
Ahaha, silly me. I just realized I have the bass turned up on the card. With it turned down there's no distortion at max volume. Buuuut, I'm using the K271's, so I need every bit of bass I can get. lol.

Ah, now I know what you mean by 'distortion' at 100% volume. 
With eq. turned on, I imagine the sound distortion is BAD.  Like my Cowon, when I take the eq-ed headphone out to my Mustang, it's distorted ugly-ly, I have to set to flat then 100% volume is clean.

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #19 of 24
I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I'm not using an actual equalizer, I'm using this.

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but I'm not using an actual equalizer, I'm using this.

Don't you want more control than that? Anyway the answer is use 100% but APPLY REPLAYGAIN. If you don't want to use RG then I think 90% should prevent clipping given the replaygain values I have seen. Someone correct me if this is wrong!

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #22 of 24
I would try setting those to the middle settings, volume at 100%, and using the EQ in winamp or foobar2000 (I like foobar better) to tweak the bass/mid/treble. Then use the amp to set the volume. Using foobar2000 with ASIO4ALL will bypass all the windows and sound card tweaks such as the bass boost and windows EQ. Check these threads for more info:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/221237/asio4all-explanation

Get foobar2000 here:
http://www.foobar2000.org/

Then check this thread for other downloads for ASIO4ALL (the program) and the foobar plugin (you have to get both).
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/402765/eac-foobar-asio4all-wasapi-settings-pictorial

Skip to the ASIO4ALL part after WASAPI.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #23 of 24
Actually I'm using ASIO4ALL and I'm still getting the bass boost.

I think I'll just stick with what I have now though. Having to mess with a full equalizer would drive me insane, trying to match the bass level I have now. Thanks for the help all!

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #24 of 24

TheKisho said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

100% and use the amp for controlling the volume. If your audio is clipping or you know your computer's sound output is loud [considerably louder than line level], set it to a level closer to line level or until it stops clipping.

If you have an output labled line out use it and set the output to 100%. If you are using a DAC set it to 100% and you should also be fine with no clipping.

It's very detailed, Thanks for your instruction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back