Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Aug 12, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #5,641 of 6,302
The Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro closed back would be a safe choice. Always well made and you would not be disappointed. Not quite as dynamic sounding than the PM3 phones but probably a more even response. At a higher price point there are the Beyer T5P, which are very good indeed.
Absolutely disagree, PM3 resistance and DT1770's is like day and night difference.

Aug 12, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #5,642 of 6,302
So what options are available now if one wants a closed back portable that's not wireless and not too big to take anywhere? There's meze, but wondered what else? Tempted to get a second hand one but few around and no support if anything happens.
Well, there is the B&O H6 I referenced above, which I like a lot. It’s pretty small and compact. If you can find a store that carries them near you it might be worth trying them out to see if they fit as they have small ear pads but they fit for me and I find them comfy. Genuine materials. I feel like they get passed off because of the brand but they’re really a gem. The bass has impact while retaining tightness and control, mids are a little bit recessed in the lower register but still clear and smooth. Treble is great, once again smooth but is very expansive and clear. I think the Gen 2 model is one of the better options in the portable sphere, or closed backs below $500 period. I’d read up on those, a lot of people recommended and they get high marks in reviews. Just a great all rounder with pleasing sound that, imo, can satisfy comsumers and audiophiles alike.

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #5,643 of 6,302
Well, there is the B&O H6 I referenced above, which I like a lot. It’s pretty small and compact. If you can find a store that carries them near you it might be worth trying them out to see if they fit as they have small ear pads but they fit for me and I find them comfy. Genuine materials. I feel like they get passed off because of the brand but they’re really a gem. The bass has impact while retaining tightness and control, mids are a little bit recessed in the lower register but still clear and smooth. Treble is great, once again smooth but is very expansive and clear. I think the Gen 2 model is one of the better options in the portable sphere, or closed backs below $500 period. I’d read up on those, a lot of people recommended and they get high marks in reviews. Just a great all rounder with pleasing sound that, imo, can satisfy comsumers and audiophiles alike.

AKG will launch a closed 50 mm foldable with replaceable pads and a detachable cable, the K275. Early September. As I like my Q701 quite a bit, and have a few cables with the appropriate mini XLR connector, I’m looking forward to it.

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #5,645 of 6,302
I'm a noob to this hobby, so I apologise in advance if my question sounds silly:

Can I get use an adapter like this:
8ce650b4f90674712e8b3a457809e60f.jpg_720x720q80.jpg_.webp

With my stock PM-3 cable, connect it to the balanced output of my FIIO X5iii and expect the setup to perform like a proper 2.5mm balanced cable?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #5,646 of 6,302
I'm a noob to this hobby, so I apologise in advance if my question sounds silly:

Can I get use an adapter like this:

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...o4k.searchlist.list.3.1c744f98Nw6IDP&search=1

With my stock PM-3 cable, connect it to the balanced output of my FIIO X5iii and expect the setup to perform like a proper 2.5mm balanced cable?

No it won't work and may result in damage to your X5iii. You need a cable with the correct 4 pole connectors at each end.

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #5,650 of 6,302
10146070.jpg
Got back home and listened on my completely unbalanced system - $150 DAC (Musiland 03 US), $2500 interconnects (ELCO audio Blue star), ~$800 headphone amp (KingRex HQ) from the PC via a IFI micro iUSB3.0 USB cleaning thingy. Sounds devine with the velour earpads - much much better than the originals! Soundstage, detail and cohesion are far superior. Right now I have "7 Worlds Collide - The Sun Came Out" playing - I have never heard that album like this, not even via my STAX system, which seems to have all the detail but perhaps not the cohesion and musicality - superb!

Well recommended earpads - although I had to edit my post as I had initially written "Velcro" earpads, a quite different experience I imagine.

Incidentally the KingMax sounds horrible with Senn HD650s - this might be why it had such mediocre reviews. It drives the PM-3s very well though.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #5,651 of 6,302
During a bout of insomnia last night, I decided to finally come back to bed with my PM-3 and listen to the Until the End of the World soundtrack.
I don't know if it was the fact that I was so tired, or that I hadn't listened to that album in ages, or the fact that there are some amazing songs on that album. But, man, lying there I just felt like I'd hardly ever heard music sound so natural and effortless as that. As horribly clichéd as it is, I was hearing things I'd never heard before: details, bass lines, and kick drums. Man, that bass was freaking phenomenal. Not huge, but just done so, so right. Detailed and nuanced. I kept thinking this is a sound I could live with forever.

I definitely go back and forth on these headphones. When I'm not feeling them, I'm just not feeling them. But when it clicks for me? It is just otherworldly.

Aug 24, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #5,652 of 6,302
During a bout of insomnia last night, I decided to finally come back to bed with my PM-3 and listen to the Until the End of the World soundtrack.
I don't know if it was the fact that I was so tired, or that I hadn't listened to that album in ages, or the fact that there are some amazing songs on that album. But, man, lying there I just felt like I'd hardly ever heard music sound so natural and effortless as that. As horribly clichéd as it is, I was hearing things I'd never heard before: details, bass lines, and kick drums. Man, that bass was freaking phenomenal. Not huge, but just done so, so right. Detailed and nuanced. I kept thinking this is a sound I could live with forever.

I definitely go back and forth on these headphones. When I'm not feeling them, I'm just not feeling them. But when it clicks for me? It is just otherworldly.

Some days I enjoy them thoroughly some days days I ask myself why I own them.

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #5,654 of 6,302
Hi how are the PM3's for live mixing?
I do live PA mixing.
I'm still deciding between this and akg k872. Any input would be of really help.
I haven't listened to the K872 but just looking at InnerFidelity's isolation measurements for it and the PM-3, the PM-3 is going to be way better.

From personal experience, I think the PM-3 is fantastic for live mixing Front of House! It's fairly durable, comes with a travel case, seals out sound very well, and their fairly even, neutral sound signature lends itself well to honing in accurately on any sound attributes you need to hear clearly while monitoring. I usually rely on these with a pair of Etymotic ER4 XRs as a backup. Just watch out for the cables as they're kinda flimsy; especially with the amount of abuse they might see at the desk or on the road touring. I'd invest in making some DIY cables or buying some that are more robust.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #5,655 of 6,302
I haven't listened to the K872 but just looking at InnerFidelity's isolation measurements for it and the PM-3, the PM-3 is going to be way better.

From personal experience, I think the PM-3 is fantastic for live mixing Front of House! It's fairly durable, comes with a travel case, seals out sound very well, and their fairly even, neutral sound signature lends itself well to honing in accurately on any sound attributes you need to hear clearly while monitoring. I usually rely on these with a pair of Etymotic ER4 XRs as a backup. Just watch out for the cables as they're kinda flimsy; especially with the amount of abuse they might see at the desk or on the road touring. I'd invest in making some DIY cables or buying some that are more robust.

Thanks. Would be getting one then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back