Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Oct 6, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #5,671 of 6,302
The headband issue is a common problem, it is a shame that its not a bit more hard wearing. The headband cover you linked to should work, please let us know if you get it and it fits.

The look is very individual, some may like the knitted wool look but I'm not so sure, I would probably go for something more like this (I don't know if it fits though, its just my suggestion):

https://goo.gl/9VUvEZ

Edit: I just ordered this one, lets see if it fits:

https://goo.gl/HtGsQ5

The Brainwavz pads are a good replacement, recommended from me too, so its just the headband issue that keeps these from being the last headphone I ever "have" to buy.

Both of them seem a bit narrow. I would have preferred a leather version, but the only headband cover that appears to match these dimensions is in wool. Leatherette or artificial leather would break down over time in this hot, humid leather. I am near the sea.

How does one take care of the earpads?

thanks in advance.

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #5,672 of 6,302
How does one take care of the earpads?

These are the pads I got (from Amazon in the UK though)

https://goo.gl/midjmA

They can be fitted over the earcups. Or for a more professional look, remove the worn out Oppo pads from the plastic fixing rings and glue these on, some pad trimming is required, refit the rings and hey presto job done.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #5,674 of 6,302
Thanks, I am using the sheepskin version of brainwavz earpads . I meant taking care as in protecting them and prolonging the life.
Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam. They call it shoe polish, but really it's very good leather conditioner. I recently used it to restore a wallet and belt I'd stupidly taken out into a big rainstorm. The belt is back to its previous condition and the wallet is softer than before. Unfortunately, the balsam couldn't do the same for my phone.

Why don't you go to a tanner (or cobbler, maybe) and see if they can make you something? It might not cost too much if you can convince them to make it out of scrap. Maybe?
Also-- I know I've mentioned this before-- don't assume that all synthetic leathers are the same. Just because the original headband and earpads fell apart doesn't mean others will do the same.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #5,675 of 6,302
I'm testing baby oil at the moment, a quick search mentioned the main reason for the material falling apart was the UV in sunlight drying out the material and damaging the surface and to use baby oil to help prevent this. The article also said that if its safe for a baby's skin it wont harm the material which seem logical too.

The oil soaks into the material over a few minutes and as a bonus my PM-3 now smells great. :)

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #5,676 of 6,302
Hey,
Just wanted to share a headband cover I found that works extremely well. I tried a few from Geekria but even their widest offering squeezed the pleather from the original headband to the point that I feared the pleather would tear from tension eventually.
This one from Aliexpress and originally designed for the AudioTechnica M50x and fits the PM3 perfectly. It covers exactly all the pleather of the PM3 without obscuring the metallic parts from view. The only downside compared to the one of Geekria, is the lack
of the tiny elastic loop that keeps the zipper secured in place. Right now you will hear the zipper dangling when walking. This is extremely easy to fix though with a little creativity.
fFIW3Ool.jpg

waM5VFXl.jpg

ET8eVoJl.jpg

Ofcourse it might not be as sexy as using a Black Leather Tennis Grip (though I think it can be done just a little better then the examples below:
yTUcmZq.jpg

20140712_145408_zpso9wbt3nb.jpg
Or 6mm paracord also seems like a nice option with more cushion.
vpNkReM.jpg

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #5,677 of 6,302
Hey,
Just wanted to share a headband cover I found that works extremely well. I tried a few from Geekria but even their widest offering squeezed the pleather from the original headband to the point that I feared the pleather would tear from tension eventually.
This one from Aliexpress and originally designed for the AudioTechnica M50x and fits the PM3 perfectly. It covers exactly all the pleather of the PM3 without obscuring the metallic parts from view. The only downside compared to the one of Geekria, is the lack
of the tiny elastic loop that keeps the zipper secured in place. Right now you will hear the zipper dangling when walking. This is extremely easy to fix though with a little creativity.
fFIW3Ool.jpg

waM5VFXl.jpg

ET8eVoJl.jpg

Ofcourse it might not be as sexy as using a Black Leather Tennis Grip (though I think it can be done just a little better then the examples below:

------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------

Zensanjay :
Hi, thanks for the reply. I checked aliexpress and looked for the same product on amazon.com. I believe that the below two links point to the same product as on aliexpress :

1) https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Headphone-protector-headband-headphone/dp/B07FRDQTDC/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1541611603&sr=8-21&keywords=defean+audio+technica&th=1

2) https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-pr...e=UTF8&qid=1541611342&sr=8-14&keywords=defean

Could you please confirm?

Thanks a ton. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #5,678 of 6,302
The links you provided show the same brand name, same pictures & same dimensions of the product as on the AliExpress page. I therefore very much suspect it to be the same item.
Both links you provided link to a product sold by the same amazon seller, so I think the amazon seller just listed the same item twice (once with color option, once without).
I think you will be fine ordering either one of them :).

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #5,679 of 6,302
Anyone have comments on tonal differences with the PM-3 and the various portable DACs out there? Would be especially interested in comments from those with first hand experience with the fiio q5, ha2 (and se), mojo and dragonfly red.

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #5,680 of 6,302
The HA2-SE which I have, is good at filling in the somewhat thin bass of the PM3's. I notice this when I plug the PM3's direct into the M-DAC in my bedroom, so as not to disturb others at night. I must rig up a way to feed my HA2-SE from the iMac that plays to my M-DAC, without having to reset the audio driver every time.

Wilson

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #5,682 of 6,302
dabo - that looks great. What did you wrap it with?

My sheepskin pads are still doing great, but I went the whole hog and ripped the old ones off the clip ring and glued these on. Much more comfortable.

I've been using my Sony wh-1000mx2 phones a great deal recently, just for the convenience of BT, and the excellent noise cancelling on flights. However, my goodness, its just wonderful to come back to the PM3s, the sound is in a different league.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #5,683 of 6,302
I used this tennis racket grip wrap: Tourna Leather Grip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00STUOJCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tYA-BbVRM3FD0

I actually just went back and attached the pads to the clips. Didn't do the first one perfectly, but overall it came out fine and looks better:

1124181517.jpg

The new pads also definitely have improved the soundstage and made them feel better balanced (the high end roll off is less noticeable).

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #5,684 of 6,302
I used this tennis racket grip wrap: Tourna Leather Grip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00STUOJCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tYA-BbVRM3FD0

I actually just went back and attached the pads to the clips. Didn't do the first one perfectly, but overall it came out fine and looks better:

The new pads also definitely have improved the soundstage and made them feel better balanced (the high end roll off is less noticeable).

Are those the angled or straight pads? Do the angled ones cause your headphones to more easily slip from your head? Finally someone who knows how to use a tennis grip properly, much better than the examples I showed in a few posts above yours. Very nice job, I am planning to do the same. Original though I would go for black leather, but this looks very nice too. How did you secure the 'loose' end of the grip? Just some glue?

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #5,685 of 6,302
Are those the angled or straight pads? Do the angled ones cause your headphones to more easily slip from your head? Finally someone who knows how to use a tennis grip properly, much better than the examples I showed in a few posts above yours. Very nice job, I am planning to do the same. Original though I would go for black leather, but this looks very nice too. How did you secure the 'loose' end of the grip? Just some glue?

They're the angled pads, and they stay on just fine for me. And yeah, I just used a bit of gorilla glue on the end.

One tip: if you do attach the pads to the clips, I found it made it a lot easier to first glue the pad exactly where you want it all the way along the outside ring of the clip (this is different from how the stock pads are glued into place). After doing that, you can trim the pad down more accurately making sure you don't cut off too much (as I did on the first one, though just a tiny bit), and glue to the inside edge of the clip ring. Knowing this in advance would have made the first one come out better for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back