Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jan 18, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #4,891 of 6,302
That's exactly what I did. Each night plugged headphones in receiver and played back music continously for 8-9 hours to break the headphones in (although probably not necessary, but can't hurt to try). For the same duration of time placed the headphones over 2 cushions to stretch it out a bit :)

Seems to have worked just perfectly.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #4,893 of 6,302
What i can say for me : the msr7 is cheaper and the sound is more dry ( trying with fiio x5 II just one day however )

Another subject: i search a very good player with android for streaming, like i asked few post ago, the ibasso dx200 may be not the best sound for the pm3 , not enough warm for me... any other proposition ?

Which dap is the best for your headphones?

Thanks and once again sorry for my poor english.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #4,895 of 6,302
hiya, i would love to hear any comparisons between this and ath-msr7 regarding resolution, soundstage and isolation if anyone has had both. Potentially looking to move on to these from the MSR's.

I can help with that...

The MSR7 has lots more treble. Only a step away from too much. Midrange is good but the Oppo brings the mids more to the front. Bass is more pleasant on the Oppo than the MSR7. 

The MSR7 probably has somewhat better sound stage. I wound up playing an old FPS game for old time's sake and I had fun and a pretty good virtual sound from the MSR7.  I haven't tried a game on the Oppo yet. 

If there was one thing I loved about the MSR7, it was that the transience was so good. It was so easy to discern all the details and instruments (and even flaws of a recording) that I never heard before. After some burn time on the Oppo though, transience is very good. 

The isolation on the Oppo from what I can tell is okay at best. Most of the time you will hear noise around you. The MSR7 if I remember doesn't isolate much either. 

It's been a week with my new Oppo PM-3. These are some amazing cans, however, I wonder how much longer do I have to burn them in. It seemed to be a bit darker initially but then opened up now. I'm close to 100 hours...anyone think they need more than that?

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #4,896 of 6,302

It's been a week with my new Oppo PM-3. These are some amazing cans, however, I wonder how much longer do I have to burn them in. It seemed to be a bit darker initially but then opened up now. I'm close to 100 hours...anyone think they need more than that?

You should be fine but in my experience they sound exactly the same as they did when I got them about a year ago.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #4,901 of 6,302
  Did anyone come to any conclusion whether upgrading to a balanced 2.5mm cable was worth it? 

Really tempted.

I just bought a 2.5mm balanced cable from Surfcables and feel there is a very clear improvement listening to the PM-3s with the DP-X1A over single ended. To me balanced produces a bigger sound stage, tighter bass, and, while I don't know if it's simply due to more power in balanced or that the cable is made of silver in addition to copper, but I feel there's more definition in the high percussion and that the decay on cymbals has been extended. I bought the balanced cable mostly for the increased power and with the hope it would add a little brightness to the top end, and I am very happy with the result and feel the DP-X1A with the PM-3s sounds beautiful while being very accurate.

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #4,902 of 6,302
  I just bought a 2.5mm balanced cable from Surfcables and feel there is a very clear improvement listening to the PM-3s with the DP-X1A over single ended. To me balanced produces a bigger sound stage, tighter bass, and, while I don't know if it's simply due to more power in balanced or that the cable is made of silver in addition to copper, but I feel there's more definition in the high percussion and that the decay on cymbals has been extended. I bought the balanced cable mostly for the increased power and with the hope it would add a little brightness to the top end, and I am very happy with the result and feel the DP-X1A with the PM-3s sounds beautiful while being very accurate.

Since the power in balanced operation doubles on that DAP, I think that is probably a good bit of what you are hearing. I think the soundstage and detail increase quite a bit when the PM-3 is properly amped. Using it on my DX80 vs any other amp besides my Asgard 2 is a big difference. The silver cable can really make a difference in tonal balance towards the highs, so overall I think you made a great choice.

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #4,903 of 6,302
  Since the power in balanced operation doubles on that DAP, I think that is probably a good bit of what you are hearing....

You're probably right. I tried running the DP-X1A single ended through my SR-71A to see what effect the increased power would have on the PM-3 in single ended mode, but it's not clear if line out on the DP-X1A is really unamplified, and the warmth/darkness of the SR-71A made it hard to distinguish the effect of increased power from the coloring of the amp.The balanced output from the DP-X1A seems cleaner and more linear, and I really like the sound with the PM-3 headphones.

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #4,905 of 6,302
Anyone know where I can buy some quality (but not overpriced) braided cables for my Oppo? 

Try maybe forza audio works or mimic cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back