Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Dec 30, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #4,876 of 6,302
Today My PM-3 arrived, these will be my closed back portable cans to pair with the AK300 or stacked with my Mojo. 
A quick first impressions is,I am very satisfied, my first attempt for a closed full portable was the Senn Momentums over the ear 2.0. Which I have now donated to my nephew ( was never fully satisfied with its sound). The PM-3 is the best portable closed cans that I have personally ever heard.
In just the first few hours of listening, I find the vocals sound incredible natural,the mids are really well rendered and the comfort is good, so is the isolation. The only thing I find lacking so far is the soundstage its not big, but I get it, its a closed can. The bass is there with great depth.
With regards to the treble going in, from reviews and forum post I knew the treble was lacking. So I matched these up with a separately purchased Wireworld Platinum cable and they have helped with the treble which is, a little restrained brining a bit more sparkle into the upper register of the music.

I Paired my Astell&Kern AK300 and I find the synergy between the two to be fantastic, never really feeling under powered,t hanks to the efficient impedance and no fatigue, I could listen for hours. Next I am going to stack these and see how they sound with the Mojo. back to some more music.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #4,877 of 6,302
Nice combo you have there. I also paired my PM-3 with the Mojo, although this is a good combo but I find it a bit warmer than I prefer. After some time I got accustomed to the sound. Can you do a comparison between your Mojo and your AK DAP?

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #4,878 of 6,302
I plan on it as I have a nice long weekend, I will post my findings shortly.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #4,879 of 6,302
  Today My PM-3 arrived, these will be my closed back portable cans to pair with the AK300 or stacked with my Mojo. 
A quick first impressions is,I am very satisfied, my first attempt for a closed full portable was the Senn Momentums over the ear 2.0. Which I have now donated to my nephew ( was never fully satisfied with its sound). The PM-3 is the best portable closed cans that I have personally ever heard.
In just the first few hours of listening, I find the vocals sound incredible natural,the mids are really well rendered and the comfort is good, so is the isolation. The only thing I find lacking so far is the soundstage its not big, but I get it, its a closed can. The bass is there with great depth.
With regards to the treble going in, from reviews and forum post I knew the treble was lacking. So I matched these up with a separately purchased Wireworld Platinum cable and they have helped with the treble which is, a little restrained brining a bit more sparkle into the upper register of the music.

I Paired my Astell&Kern AK300 and I find the synergy between the two to be fantastic, never really feeling under powered,t hanks to the efficient impedance and no fatigue, I could listen for hours. Next I am going to stack these and see how they sound with the Mojo. back to some more music.

HI Dyonisus

I hope that you will speak more about the importance of the WIREWORLD nano-eclipse Platinum cable that you show in your setup.

Hi to the other readers.

For me this cable is a worthy improvement for the mojo and the PM-3.

I use this cable in 2 configurations:
MOJO and PM-3
MOJO and a portable speaker, the B&W T7.

But the 10 first hours with the PM-3, the sound was very very dark. After 100 hours the sound became more balanced.

More precisely without this cable, the description of the qualities of the Mojo or the PM-3 are biased. When I demonstrated this cable with the Mojo and the B & W P7 to my friends, all were subjugated. The impression that the sound comes out of a small box is totally volatilized. With the PM-3, the impresion is near the same but closed cans stays closed cans.
With PM-3, part of this effect is attenuated by the closed structure. The reproach of the lack of naturalness of the voice, that some expressed in commenting on the PM3, remains audible but the gain in musicality of the instruments makes " the became very little pill" less bitter.

If you do not have the Oppo, for the same price and quality that the combo, PM3 and the Wireworld cable"450 $", I suggest you to listen to the B&W P9 with the original cable.
I will greatly appreciate your comments.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #4,880 of 6,302
Hello,

Really enjoying my new PM-3's for music but soundstage is a bit lacking for gaming. I was wondering would an amp/dac improve the PM-3 for gaming, and what is a good one to choose? I am using a laptop computer at a desk and will be for home use.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #4,881 of 6,302
Soundstage is the PM-3 primary weakness, but you must remember these are closed cans. If your looking to invest in a dedicated computer sound card, look no further than the Asus Essence STX II.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #4,882 of 6,302
New member saying hi :)

I just purchased my new Oppo PM-3 headphones and wearing them as I write this. Just an awesome pair so far my first impressions! Coming from a Sennheiser Momentum 2 the Oppo is much clearer and more balanced and precise. The level of detail is miles ahead of the Momentums. Listening to Steely Dan's Aja album is exquisite!

Very happy so far after my first 3 hours of straight listening. I foresee many more hours to come....:wink:

Cheers,

David

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #4,883 of 6,302
How does it compare to audioquest nighthawks? And has anyone tried them with mojo?

I've been trying out a bunch of different headphones the past few weeks. I just got the PM-3 today, and I already sent the Nighthawks back, but here's my impression. The Nighthawks have a much steeper slope on the sound signature: The PM-3 has ever-so-slightly rolled off highs, while the Nighthawk has highs severely rolled off. The PM-3 may have a slight bump in the mid-bass, but the Nighthawks have a big bump in the mid and upper bass, and all that bass is looser and much less controlled. The Nighthawks are definitely more comfortable, though.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,884 of 6,302
Great news for any PM-3 owners using Sonarworks... the plugin was recently updated to support the PM-3 (as well as the Beyer DT1770 among others) and does an excellent job of extending the treble, leveling out the midrange "honk" and mid bass and extending the sub-bass, without the guesswork or peaks of manual correction. They also have a free trial available, so I highly recommend giving it a shot 
L3000.gif

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #4,886 of 6,302
  Did anyone come to any conclusion whether upgrading to a balanced 2.5mm cable was worth it? 

Really tempted.

With AK380 amp it is worth getting a balanced cable​ (more power, you will hear the difference!), with AK380 only, well, not really.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #4,887 of 6,302
New member saying hi
smily_headphones1.gif

I just purchased my new Oppo PM-3 headphones and wearing them as I write this. Just an awesome pair so far my first impressions! Coming from a Sennheiser Momentum 2 the Oppo is much clearer and more balanced and precise. The level of detail is miles ahead of the Momentums. Listening to Steely Dan's Aja album is exquisite!

Very happy so far after my first 3 hours of straight listening. I foresee many more hours to come....
wink.gif

Cheers,

David

Congrats! I don't get tired of mine, and I've had them since they first came out. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #4,888 of 6,302
agree I too came from Momentunm 2.0 and I am thrilled with the sound of the PM3, quit the upgrade in overall sound and tonality and the sweetest mids in closed phone below 500 I've heard.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #4,889 of 6,302
agree I too came from Momentunm 2.0 and I am thrilled with the sound of the PM3, quit the upgrade in overall sound and tonality and the sweetest mids in closed phone below 500 I've heard.

Yes excellent upgrade! Very pleased I took this chance with the PM-3's.

Congrats! I don't get tired of mine, and I've had them since they first came out. 

Cheers
beerchug.gif
 Enjoying my new set every single day so far since I got em, listening for a couple hours a day. Never get tired (literally and figuratively) of the beautiful sound and the slight ear pressure from the pads has decreased during this past week as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back