Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Feb 3, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #4,921 of 6,302
I just wanted to note that I recently acquired a Littledot I+ hybrid tube amp and I am absolutely drooling over pairing it with my PM-3. So much so that I closed my listing for the PM-3 that I had in the For Sale/Trade forum. I understand that the I+ and Magni2 that are my amps may not be able to scale them as well as they require, but I seriously think this pairing sounds better than any way I've heard my HD 6XX, and gives my LCD-2s a run for their money. The PM-3s have now earned their place as my closed back of choice.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #4,924 of 6,302
The PM-3 continue to be my favorite headphones. They are a bit too relaxed in the treble, but an equalizer can easily fix the sink at around 5-6 kHz. I also add 3dB more treble from 3-10 kHz, but that's a preference. They are still absolutely free from distortion. Impressive magnetostatic drivers!

I was thinking about using them in a professional environment. Does anybody know where I can get a balanced 3.5mm > 2x 6.3mm cable? The PM-3 should handle balanced cables naturally. At least they have their very own balanced 2.5mm cable. Does not have to be a custom-made high-end silver/gold cable. Something from Cordial would do the job reliably, but they don't have the cable I'm looking for.

Cheers for any advice!

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #4,925 of 6,302
Getting replacement pads for my PM-3 here down under from the local distributor. Had to wait a week to get them in stock. When I saw the price I knew that I'll have to buy two sets :). A$26.26 (some US$17.00) delivered for a black set. The current set got squashed, probably because the headphones live in my backpack, locked in their case.

Last night I went for a power stroll for a couple of hours, feeding the PM-3s from the Mojo and DP-X1. Played a couple of Slipknot albums with all three Mojo balls deep blue and boy that felt so good! If you want loud, this pairing could deliver and then some. PM-3 also a dream pairing with LG V20 phone, providing you plug in the cable in the phone first and then into the headphones and trigger the AUX mode. Nowhere near as much power as Mojo, but still brilliant. What can I say, life's good!

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #4,926 of 6,302
The PM-3 continue to be my favorite headphones. They are a bit too relaxed in the treble, but an equalizer can easily fix the sink at around 5-6 kHz. I also add 3dB more treble from 3-10 kHz, but that's a preference. They are still absolutely free from distortion. Impressive magnetostatic drivers!

I was thinking about using them in a professional environment. Does anybody know where I can get a balanced 3.5mm > 2x 6.3mm cable? The PM-3 should handle balanced cables naturally. At least they have their very own balanced 2.5mm cable. Does not have to be a custom-made high-end silver/gold cable. Something from Cordial would do the job reliably, but they don't have the cable I'm looking for.

Cheers for any advice!

Contact Trevor at Norne audio.. I got my TRRS cable from him.. great sounding upgrade

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #4,928 of 6,302
does pm3 pair well with ha1? cant afford pm1/2 upfront

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #4,930 of 6,302
demoed pm1 with ha1 was great. pm3 impedence 26 vs 32 pm1 would ha1 over power pm3 or can i expect similar dynamics as pm1/ha1? cheers jim any detail appreciated. if i have 1250 gbp to spend is ha1 /pm3 better than schitt combos etc. its very frustrating later pm1/2 would arrive

also:: the specs for the ha1 say things like 3200mw into 32 ohm balanced //unblanced or similar. howcome then the pm1/3 with 26/32 impedence are not blown to pieces by ha1? how did oppo make this possible for their headphones to work so well with such a powerful amp. other amps with less power out would blow such low impedence cans. cheers  what is the magic that oppo have done to make their low impedence headphones sound great with a beast like ha1.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #4,931 of 6,302
Really happy with the way my PM-3 sound with brand new pads! Comfort got better, too. Unfortunately the brand new Nightowls are keeping me busy and wide eyed since yesterday so can't comment any further ☺️

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #4,932 of 6,302
Sorry, haven't read through the entire thread. Will be purchasing a FiiO X5III shortly. Any recommendations for balanced cables for my PM-3s and the FiiO? I would prefer the cable be less than US$200, preferably much less.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #4,933 of 6,302
Sorry, haven't read through the entire thread. Will be purchasing a FiiO X5III shortly. Any recommendations for balanced cables for my PM-3s and the FiiO? I would prefer the cable be less than US$200, preferably much less.

Forza Audioworks makes fantastic cables at the best prices I can find for the materials used. Highly recommened, extremely high quality cables. Just be prepared to wait about a month to get it. They're made by hand in Poland.

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #4,935 of 6,302
  Forza Audioworks makes fantastic cables at the best prices I can find for the materials used. Highly recommened, extremely high quality cables. Just be prepared to wait about a month to get it. They're made by hand in Poland.

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36

I'm also looking for a balanced cable for my PM-3 and the Opus 1. I see Surf Cables has one for $110, are they a reputable company?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back